Ruger Mini-14, my current obsession

These have been catching my eye around town.
folder.jpg
stainless synthetic.jpg
wood.jpg
Used for a vanilla model looks like $575-600. Fancy up to $800 but Davidson's has them for about $725 new.

.223/5.56 and all sorts of mag lengths.

From reviews by nameless internet warriors it sounds like they are all good. There was a mention of the later models, 2008- , having a bull barrel that showed increase accuracy.

Any personal experience on this Ranch Rifle?

There was a short run of a carbine in 44 mag called a Deerfield.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Ruger Mini-14, my current obsession

Simmer down wrote:These have been catching my eye around town.
folder.jpg
stainless synthetic.jpg
wood.jpg
Used for a vanilla model looks like $575-600. Fancy up to $800 but Davidson's has them for about $725 new.

.223/5.56 and all sorts of mag lengths.

From reviews by nameless internet warriors it sounds like they are all good. There was a mention of the later models, 2008- , having a bull barrel that showed increase accuracy.

Any personal experience on this Ranch Rifle?
Lots of experience. They are decent, rugged "truck" guns that will fire pretty much anything you put through them. Older models (180 series) tend to be less accurate than the 190 series...the most recent iteration being considered the most accurate with thicker barrels.

At the gun show yesterday, I saw a few 180 series going for 575 with factory new going for about $700.

Decent review:

http://www.guns.com/2012/07/16/the-ruge ... t-century/
Last edited by atxgunguy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

I have a strong urge to rotate my stock. There's a show in Dallas in 2-3 weeks. I should see what's in the cellar that I won't miss.

I had an AR but that tactical polymer crap isn't my style. The ranch rifle looks like it will absorb more recoil with a wood stock than a 7-position supercool collapsible piece of plastic. I also prefer the challenge of open sights over a dialed in scope. I've never had to track down a wounded target so I'm OK with the wiggle room in sighting.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
Nexus wrote:Here's my 188-xxxxx. Love my AccuStrut!

I have both the original wood and also this Hogue OverMolded stock. The Hogue is definitely the most accurate housing, at least for my gun.
Have you shot it with and without the accustrut?
So I got the Mini in trade for a Tikka T3 about a year and a half ago. My buddy bought it brand new in the 90's and had a total of 100 rounds through it in all that time! The first time I took it out (no AccuStrut), I was not consistently hitting an 8" inch steel gong at 100 yards, especially as the barrel heated up. Now, with the AccuStrut, I hit practical targets like gongs and gallon jugs very consistently at that range. I haven't tried any real serious bench shooting with it--not what I acquired this gun for. After shooting with and without, I will never own an older Mini without an AccuStrut.

btw, scope is just a Weaver K4--good and sturdy, no-fuss 4x.

I just joined and haven't had time to introduce myself yet, but I saw this thread and wanted to comment. I bought a new Mini-14 about a month ago and love it. I got the wooden stock. I spent a little time zeroing it from a sitting braced position. It will shoot 1-inch 3 round groups at 50 at yards. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Simmer down wrote:I had a DPMS and it had very tight tolerances and reloads were a problem. Any thoughts on how forgiving the Ruger is?

And welcome, Bear.
The 180 series is a lot pickier with the ammo, preferring brass. The newer ones will shoot steel without any hiccups, only suffering in the accuracy department...but hey, that $5.99 Herters crap is a cheap date at the range ain't it?
LGC Texas - Vice President

I can talk your ear off about minis.

The foldingstock GB model is worth getting just for the cool factor.

I love the look of these guns, but I have been wooed away for the meantime by the siren song of the AR.

When I get back in on the mini game I will buy cheap to get the reciever and send it off to accuracy systems for a rebuild.

Perfect Union has a mini forum with a lot of good information as long as you can keep your blinders on and your powder dry whilst stomping through knee deep dung in your wellies.
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I sold my Mini-14 and built myself an AR-15 in 5.56/.223. I'm planning on building another one in 6.5 Grendel. Here's why. Mostly because I can work on and repair my AR-15 myself with very basic tools. Parts are very easy to come by. I've heard all the arguments, the Mini-14 is all steel, the AR-15 is all aluminum. The Mini-14 has a 2 lug bolt and the AR-15 has an eight lug bolt. Yes, but I can have a new bolt and barrel for my AR-15 delivered to my house overnight if necessary and I can install them in a few minutes.

Ruger is a fine company and makes some fine firearms. I still own a Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum and just bought an ultra light LCR in .38 Special +P for concealed carry, (I prefer a wheel gun for concealed carry) and if I had the money ($1500) I would buy a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Weatherby. But I'm a poor disabled veteran.