Garand cheek pad nightmare

Cheek Pad.jpg
Cheek Pad.jpg (17.66 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
cheekpad.jpg
I got a repro cheek pad that's giving me fits. First off, it's stiff like a piece of linoleum. I soaked it in leather conditioner until I could form it but its not letting me have my way with it.

I started lacing and torquing it from the bottom up and it keeps sliding up the stock. I searched for pix and I see some have wood screws tacking them in place. I don't want to run screws in the stock just to add a piece of linoleum.

Anyone ever tackle this puzzle before? While I was wrestling it I also wondered about potential dampness between the leather and wood. It seemed so simple at the start but now I'm ready to toss it.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Garand cheek pad nightmare

You're not trying to scope that rifle, are you?

I've never heard of anyone needing a cheek pad on an iron-sighted Garand.

Maybe your face geometry is extraordinarily weird. :shock:
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

I didn't even know they made those for the M1. I thought those were for shotguns and lever guns.

Edit: what does leather do that wood can't?
Last edited by beaurrr on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

When I was trying to get used to an offset scope on my B92, I tried a nylon (I guess it was nylon) cheek pad that did that slipping around thing. I used stick-on Velcro patches under the pad to keep it in place. That much worked, though I hated the looks of the whole arrangement.
The universe - is what it is.

But doesn't a cheek pad raise you eye up too high?

I know, just crank up the rear sight to compensate! And solder something onto the front sight to make it taller.

Short of that, just put the damned cheek pad away, and let the wood and .30-06 recoil caress your cheek like God and John C. Garand intended!
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:But doesn't a cheek pad raise you eye up too high?

I know, just crank up the rear sight to compensate! And solder something onto the front sight to make it taller.

Short of that, just put the damned cheek pad away, and let the wood and .30-06 recoil caress your cheek like God and John C. Garand intended!
:roflmao:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing the cause, and misapplying the wrong remedies. Marx (Groucho Marx)

If it is actual leather, you may consider soaking it in hot water before lacing it on. When it dries, it will hopefully dry into the new shape you want it to be.

(Post google - it seems the words you want to look for are "wet forming")

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

fknauss wrote:If it is actual leather, you may consider soaking it in hot water before lacing it on. When it dries, it will hopefully dry into the new shape you want it to be.

(Post google - it seems the words you want to look for are "wet forming")
Like working a holster. D'oh! I don't know why I don't think of that.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy