Thoughts on the Ruger 77m and the 17 wsm cartridge?

I'm looking to improve my markmanship with a good bolt action rifle. I want something that reaches-out to 100 yards, has relatively low recoil, fairly cheap match-grade ammo and has controls and a feel that will scale-up to an eventual purchase of a 308 someday.

Oh, and a wood stock is a must.

So that kind of leaves me bouncing between either a .223 or a .17 wsm bolt gun. I'm leaning towards .17 wsm because match ammo is about half the cost of .223. Reloading isn't an option for me right now.

Ruger just came out with a M77/17. Any thoughts on the rifle or the round?

http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazin ... odels.html

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Thoughts on the Ruger 77m and the 17 wsm cartridge?

Given the longer range you have easy access to, I'd be pretty hard pressed to recommend going with a .17 over the 223. Although you'll pay more for match ammo on the 223, for 100 yard work, you may not need to go for it unless you are shooting for a single hole. Ringing the gongs from 150-800 yards at your range is a ton of fun.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:I'd be tempted to go for the Weatherby in that price range.

http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifle ... orter.html

Sub-MOA out of the box warranty, great trigger.

MSRP of $849, street price is more like $700
Actions are made in Japan by Howa. Stocks are made 15 miles from my house.

I got to try a synthetic sporter the other day. Felt pretty good.

I have both a Weatherby Vanguard in .223 and a Ruger M77 in .308. The only negative things on either of them is the short bolt handle on the Ruger. With that, the scope is so close to the bolt knob when the action is open, that there is little room for my fingers. The Vanguards twist rate can't shoot anything over 53 grains accurately. The 52's shoot clover leafs, 69's will be all over the map, even at 100 yards.

The Varmint version I have of the Vanguard has a 1:12 twist, 1:9 is available, so chose wisely my son. :think:
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

Thanks for the the helpful info! With my big head, maybe taller scope rings would do the trick?

I'm still vacilating between the Ruger 77/17 or something in .223. (either a Ruger Hawkeye Predator or Weatherby Vanguard)

I like the Ruger 77/17 because:
* cheap and accurate ammo
* looks sexy!
* chambered in a round that does everything I need it to do

I like the .223s because:
* ammo availabilty
* more versatility in terms of shooting past 100 yards, knocking gongs or hunting game (which I don't intend to do right away)
* multiple scopes specifically designed for .223 (17 wsm only has 3; none of them very high-end)

I do intend at some point to get a 308, so I think the 17 wsm makes more sense if I have two rifles. Sort of like having a golf bag with a 9 iron and a putter. If I was stuck with a one rifle arsenal, I'd probably go .223

popgunn wrote:I have both a Weatherby Vanguard in .223 and a Ruger M77 in .308. The only negative things on either of them is the short bolt handle on the Ruger. With that, the scope is so close to the bolt knob when the action is open, that there is little room for my fingers. The Vanguards twist rate can't shoot anything over 53 grains accurately. The 52's shoot clover leafs, 69's will be all over the map, even at 100 yards.

The Varmint version I have of the Vanguard has a 1:12 twist, 1:9 is available, so chose wisely my son. :think:
This was a great point. I got to try the M77/17. The bolt comes way up when open. I can imagine that it would be difficult with a scope.

I'm also having reservations about not choosing a 22lr as my training gun. I have tons of ammo and wouldn't have to buy any for years.

My LGS has this in stock and I'm thinking about it.

senorgrand wrote:
sikacz wrote:Just get a simple bolt action .22LR if you want to reach up to 100 yards and work on skills.
I'm finding a lot of bolt guns (like the CZ 455) feel too small.
Go find you a Remington 40X they don't feel small and are good to 100 yards plus. Shot one in high school ROTC tif rifle team back in the 1960s. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

senorgrand wrote:The Ruger Sporter and target have a good LOP for me though...very comfortable. Also, they have flat buttpads, which I like.
You ought to go for one then! :beer2: I also looked up a CZ 512 which is a semi-automatic .22LR looks to be similar in size to the Ruger Target. With Ruger you do get lots of after market possibilities! Have fun and get one. I'm saving my pennies too, I want a .22LR!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.