Winchester Model 94AE 44 Mag Trapper

Anyone know much about these? It's a Centennial edition with the 16-in. barrel and saddle ring. Made in '94 so it has the cross-bolt button safety. Feeds my cast hollowpoints like butter. Picked it up to replace my Rossi 92, also 44 Mag. Looks new, but has a couple "safe scratches" on the bottom of the magazine. Don't know if it will feed my cast Elmer Kieth bullets - the Rossi does not.

If it shoots it seems like a keeper.

Now I have three 94s. The other two are a 1952 in 30-30, and a 375 Win. "Big Bore" from the late 1970s that needs to be restored.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Re: Winchester Model 94AE 44 Mag Trapper

I have one in 45LC, End of the Trail edition. I got it for a song and wanted a rifle in 45. Mine has the large loop, a real knuckle buster when I slam my hand down for the lever like the typical size and whack it.

Mine is very tight, like every other lever gun I've had. I've only used lead round nose and no feeding issues. I got the gun and a pair of Ruger Vaqueros from a cowboy shooter estate so it might be slicked up more than stock. The Vaqueros are also better than new.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

There was one in 45 Colt at that gun shop a few weeks ago, but I prefer 44 Mag, so skipped it. Today I was in the neighborhood and stopped by the same shop. I picked up the gun thinking it was the same 45, but it was a 44. Wasn't planning on buying anything, but justified it by telling myself that I'd sell the 44 Rossi that I have. The Winchester was cheap enough that I can probably get the same for the Rossi.

It will go well with my S&W 69 for deer or hogs in the thick stuff. The mountain forests can get pretty thick here in New Mexico. I work a lot outside, and I've never been more than 20 or 30 yards from deer that I've seen.
James Lovelock

After my DYI action job, my Rossi 357 ran great. Before, it was definitely rough around the edges.

Taking an 1892 apart is pretty easy...putting it back together wasn't. I'm sure experienced gunsmiths wouldn't have any issues with it, but for me, John Browning's designs are elegant, but not easily serviced.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Simmer down wrote:How does the Rossi do with 44 spec? My son covets my Henry but he can't have it. Maybe Santa will bring him a Rossi if he finds a deal.
Never tried it, but was thinking of trying it with the Keith SWC bullets which were too long in 44Mag cases.
James Lovelock

senorgrand wrote:After my DYI action job, my Rossi 357 ran great. Before, it was definitely rough around the edges.

Taking an 1892 apart is pretty easy...putting it back together wasn't. I'm sure experienced gunsmiths wouldn't have any issues with it, but for me, John Browning's designs are elegant, but not easily serviced.
I did the quick and dirty action job on the Rossi. Instead of taking the action apart I removed the wood, doused the action with brake cleaner, cycled the action about 100 times, doused it again, cycled some more, let it dry, and lubed it. Was smooth as silk after that.
James Lovelock

Got a chance to shoot it today. It's a keeper!

Even with the buckhorn sights, short sight radius, and my inability to focus on the front sight (I'm far-sighted) I was able to put them all into a pie size target at 50 yards.

Ordered a set of ghost ring sights for it... I do much better with peep-type sights.

Also took along my Ruger Redhawk. Even with a scope it didn't do very well. Can't seem to find a load that works with the RH. My little S&W 69 shoots better and it has open sights. So I listed the Redhawk on Armslist. It's a nice gun, but if I can't shoot it it has to go. Thought I would get into handgun hunting, but it probably won't happen, and I don't feel like trying to figure it out. Maybe it will only shoot jacketed and won't be a problem for the next owner. I've only shot lead through it.
James Lovelock

axel wrote:Anyone know much about these? It's a Centennial edition with the 16-in. barrel and saddle ring. Made in '94 so it has the cross-bolt button safety. Feeds my cast hollowpoints like butter. Picked it up to replace my Rossi 92, also 44 Mag. Looks new, but has a couple "safe scratches" on the bottom of the magazine. Don't know if it will feed my cast Elmer Kieth bullets - the Rossi does not.

Now I have three 94s. The other two are a 1952 in 30-30, and a 375 Win. "Big Bore" from the late 1970s that needs to be restored.
I picked up two unfired Winchester trappers, a 94 in 44 mag and a 9422, pre-safety. Funny but the 9422 is worth more than the 44 mag.

Here's a photo of it next to some of my other lever guns. Left to right are the Trapper, Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, and a pre-64 Win-94 in 30-30 (made in 1952).

James Lovelock

hoosier8 wrote:
axel wrote:Anyone know much about these? It's a Centennial edition with the 16-in. barrel and saddle ring. Made in '94 so it has the cross-bolt button safety. Feeds my cast hollowpoints like butter. Picked it up to replace my Rossi 92, also 44 Mag. Looks new, but has a couple "safe scratches" on the bottom of the magazine. Don't know if it will feed my cast Elmer Kieth bullets - the Rossi does not.

I picked up two unfired Winchester trappers, a 94 in 44 mag and a 9422, pre-safety. Funny but the 9422 is worth more than the 44 mag.
Someone just offered a 9422, 22 Mag in trade for my Ruger Redhawk. Maybe I should have taken it.
James Lovelock

eelj wrote:I really like the 30-30. It has all of the ingredients mentioned in the aesthetic gun thread. The color and patina of both the metal and the stock coupled with that tang sight makes it really easy on the eye, a real American rifle. http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail. ... 170A-D.png I have this mold and both my wives 30-30 and my 03 06 shoot it very well. Oh and I like the trapper too.
I love that old 30-30. It's a really good shooter with a gas checked Lyman 311041 and some IMR-3031. It shows its age very well. Obviously used, but well cared for.
James Lovelock