Re: Small number of M-1 Carbines for sale at the CMP

shinzen wrote:
beaurrr wrote:I was also looking for a long time at O/U shotguns. I finally decided on the Benelli 828U, and it was a damned easy decision once I saw one.
Yeah, gorgeous. Out of the price range I'm willing to pony up though.
Understood, and that, precisely, is why I don't own one.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Mustang wrote:
beaurrr wrote:My paperwork was early but I'm pretty sure it got tossed since my cmp club affiliation lapsed. :cry:
Quickly rejoin your club affiliation. It may be weeks before they get to your order.
I did so this morning, but then that would make my effective date today and the rifles were already gone. So, instead, I photcopied my rifle range membership which was active before the cutoff.

Anyway, it's a lost cause, and so I went and bought another revolver with the money that was supposed to buy the carbine that I won't be getting.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

shinzen wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:
pdoggeth wrote:Just got an email from the CMP.

I've been approved! Hallelujah!
Let us begin to hate you.
Nah. I live close enough where I'll probably be able to beg enough to shoot it :smart:
I had a similar thought: At least I'll have a chance to shoot a CMP M1 Carbine at Bay Area meetups!
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Alright guys, arrived via FedEx today.

First impressions: the wood is definitely used and aged, but not entirely beat up. It's not as good as my refurbished Garand, well obviously since the Garand got a brand new stock. But the stock is also not as mauled up as my SKS. Action seems slick, trigger ok. The peephole sight is a bit larger than the Garands and slightly more forward on the stock, but still it was pretty easy to get things on target. It didn't come with magazines and I left those at the office so I couldn't try dropping the magazine.

This sucker is light AND small. There was a scene in Saving Private Ryan where Tom Sizemore was holding the M1 Carbine and it looked freakishly small. Well now, I understand, it's because the rifle is freakishly small. I have a pic of it compared with a standard Ruger 10/22 carbine stock. And in fact, it's probably shorter than the Ruger 10/22. The strange thing is that even though it looks and feels small, the grip area feels actually stout and thick, even stouter than the Garand or Springfield. But overall, it's still comfortable.

The package from CMP comes with a nice field manual which my Garand did not include.

Here are some pics:

You scored, you lucky (p)dog(geth)! :yahoo:

I haven't had a peep from CMP, not even an email to tell me I'm SOL.

That wood definitely has character!

One nice thing about getting this from CMP rather than from a LGS is that you can be pretty confident is safe to shoot and graded by their armorers (is that Field or Service grade, BTW?). That tells you (a) it's not a POS and (b) its not some highly valued collectors item, either, so you can feel good about shooting it. I like to see military surplus guns live out their golden years as recreational shooters.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946