Re: Brief range report- CMP M1 Carbine

I find that the best of the three types of sight personally. The flip is wildly inaccurate and the stamped one that replaced the milled one isn't especially robust.

My other bit of advice is don't bother with the 30 round mags. Heavy and don't feed well IME.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I have two 15 rounders. One is new a Korean and the other is a USGI that I bought from wlewisiii. Both are really nicely made. I don't ever expect to want a 30 rounder; I only load 5 rounds at a time as it is.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Dresden wrote:The consensus on the CMP forum is that 30 rounders work if your carbine has an M2 mag catch or if your using USGI mags or Korean. I've got two Korean mags and they work great. Stay far far away from any commercial mags.

Be sure to get a few WWII 15 rounders. They're not cheap anymore, but they're neat and well made.
Depends on what you define as "work". The straight then curved design is lacking considerably, that design has caused a log of heartburn with the AR, and it all started with the M1/M2. The M2 mag catch really doesn't make a meaningful difference. The main thing is keeping the magazine clean, oiled, and good springs. Regardless, if you ever were to find yourself in really bad conditions, just skip the 30's and go with 15 rounders; they're dead nutz reliable.

I have extensive experience working on M1 Carbines. If you ever have any issues, just send me a PM, I can probably help.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote:
Dresden wrote:The consensus on the CMP forum is that 30 rounders work if your carbine has an M2 mag catch or if your using USGI mags or Korean. I've got two Korean mags and they work great. Stay far far away from any commercial mags.

Be sure to get a few WWII 15 rounders. They're not cheap anymore, but they're neat and well made.
Depends on what you define as "work". The straight then curved design is lacking considerably, that design has caused a log of heartburn with the AR, and it all started with the M1/M2. The M2 mag catch really doesn't make a meaningful difference. The main thing is keeping the magazine clean, oiled, and good springs. Regardless, if you ever were to find yourself in really bad conditions, just skip the 30's and go with 15 rounders; they're dead nutz reliable.

I have extensive experience working on M1 Carbines. If you ever have any issues, just send me a PM, I can probably help.
I put bullets into banana clip and gun goes "bang bang bang" with no stoppings.

Dresden wrote:
FrontSight wrote:

I don't care what anybody thinks, banana clips role off the tongue easier that banana mags any day.

Dresden wrote:
FrontSight wrote:

I guess yours are clean and have good springs; keep them that way and you'll be happy. I have a couple of GI 30 rounders and I've never had any issues with them. But I have encountered problems when shooting an M2 with 30 rounders. I suspect there's a bid at the bend when feeding really rapidly, that you tend to not encounter when shooting a semi-auto M1.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”