6.5 mm Grendel Build

Recently finished building and testing my second AR build. 6.5 mm Grendel. I had a problem with technician error. It seems that I mixed up the disconnector spring with the bolt catch spring. Of course initial testing resulted in failure of the trigger mechanism. The feed mechanism worked fine however after firing the first round the trigger wouldn't reset. My first thought was short cycling but subsequent rounds fed perfectly. A discussion with a tech from my parts vendor proved fruitful. He suggested examining the trigger mechanism and I discovered the problem. Replacing the wrong spring with the correct disconnector spring resulted in perfect operation. :)

Re: 6.5 mm Grendel Build

Very nice. What barrel did you go with? My first Grendel build was a Shilen/ASA side charger. Alas, it was too heavy to lug around in the woods for hunting, so got rid of it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The barrel is 18" with mid length gas system. It's a Satern barrel that I got through Brownells. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It is actually lighter than my 5.56-.223. I'm not sure why. I think once I finish accessorizing it will add to the weight. A lot of the newer parts especially the Magpul handguards and the aluminum skeletonized handguards keep the weight down.

It's a work in progress. I used a Truglo riser. The scope in the picture is an old $29.99 Tasco with low rings I used just for testing. I subsequently purchased a Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x by 40mm with high cantilevered Weaver rings mounted on the Truglo riser. Sorry I don't have a picture of the new scope. In each case I used the riser.

After receiving all my itty bits from Brownell's, I decided to leave them all in their little bags until I needed them. Why? Because I'm prone to making those types of errors myself. Can't tell you how many times I've had a fifty-fifty chance of getting something right, and I get it wrong. :blush:
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.