The Future of California "Featureless" AR/AK builds.

There have been some other posts about this scattered about in various threads, so i thought starting a thread about the subject might aid the discussion.

From what I can tell, semi-auto rifles that don't meet the current Standards for Assault Weapons won't need to be registered.

But there seems to be some concerns that all semi autos may be added to the registration list.

I also wonder if the legislation might be amended/expanded to include any AR/AK lowers, regardless of build type.

Thanks for the comments.

:beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Re: The Future of California "Featureless" AR/AK builds.

Future CA Legal "Featureless" Assault Weapon:

Until some mother decides the sharp end might poke someone's eye out and starts a petition for a statewide referendum. After which, it will probably look like this:

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand wrote:Brown already vetoed a semi auto rifle ban. Gavin Goodhair is likely to sign such a bill.

I am really torn about even trying to keep a semi auto in this state. :(
Given current hysteria, I'm reluctant to go hunting with an MSR in areas where one might encounter non-hunters.

So I vacillate between wanting to keep my semi autos and selling them while I can to recoup the cash and reinvest in Bolts, levers, and revolvers.

drigeba wrote:
senorgrand wrote:Brown already vetoed a semi auto rifle ban. Gavin Goodhair is likely to sign such a bill.

I am really torn about even trying to keep a semi auto in this state. :(
Given current hysteria, I'm reluctant to go hunting with an MSR in areas where one might encounter non-hunters.

So I vacillate between wanting to keep my semi autos and selling them while I can to recoup the cash and reinvest in Bolts, levers, and revolvers.

Im kind of doing the same. The evil looking semi autos I am contemplating selling. I dont really shoot them much anyway, and I do prefer bolt action and even single shot rifles. I sold my GSAD Ak already, and bolt a bolt action 308. I guess the only semi autos I want to keep is my SkS, my norinco browning sa22 and my Browning Shotguns. Now pistols are a different thing, I like semi and wheel, and single shot.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

shinzen wrote:The problem is, I fear if I unload anything at this point, the odds of getting it again down the road are slim if I have a hankering. Bolt/lever guns are not currently under threat, so availability will be far greater. Plus it feels like caving.
I agree.

It's one thing to weigh the purchase of a new rifle that might have a questionable future in CA (as SenorGrand and myself did in a recent thread). But sell because of hypothetical future law?

Not for me.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:
shinzen wrote:The problem is, I fear if I unload anything at this point, the odds of getting it again down the road are slim if I have a hankering. Bolt/lever guns are not currently under threat, so availability will be far greater. Plus it feels like caving.
I agree.

It's one thing to weigh the purchase of a new rifle that might have a questionable future in CA (as SenorGrand and myself did in a recent thread). But sell because of hypothetical future law?

Not for me.
Thanks for the calibration. I'll still keep my featureless AR and at the very least one 5.56 upper because you can't have a proper desert shooting trip without one :w00t:

I did sell a bullet button AR since I have had a hankering for an S&W 586, and need the cash for it. I have found the right gun, but need to figure out when to meet up with the seller and put it in jail. :w00t: :w00t: :!:

Agreed. I'm actually stocking up. Bought an AK a couple months ago, which I am thinking about making featureless if we have to keep our bullet buttons after Jan. 1, bought a stripped lower and two stripped upper/lower combos last week. Going to add in a custom 3-gun style complete AR to go with my pretty but heavy one that I already use for bench/prone shooting.

I actually purchased a lower with a fixed mag about a month ago. I'll get around to rebuilding my AR with this fixed mag, but keep putting it off.

I'm not going crazy myself stocking up on AR stuff - I built my AR, I sorta like taking it to the range, but it ain't my favorite. I'll take a Mauser, Mosin, Enfield, or lever action over an AR any day.

But, that being said, it was kind of fun to assemble my AR (and although not really a cost savings it is kind of fun to reload .223 - I know, I'm weird), so I'd really hate to get rid of the thing.

Those who say that bolt and lever action rifles are not *currently* being attacked in *this* country are correct but need to remember that Australia already classes a lever action rifle or shotgun as a "rapid fire" weapon to be tightly regulated. Never mind that a revolver is faster, and 2 revolvers will probably outfire most any shotgun.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Here is my solution if such guns are banned, or if semi-auto are banned.

A 'revolver rifle' like the Circuit Judge, with a 10 round cylinder, chambers in 327 Fed Magmun. Yes I said 3twenty7. Great ballistics, meets 10 round requirement, shoots pistol ammo.

So come on Ruger, S&W, or whoever, make us something like this. To be honest with you, I would like to have one now.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

In Australia, a police commissioner banned a bolt action rifle mounted on a modern chassis. It looked scary, apparently. The last attempt by a US government to confiscate lots of weapons was in 1775. Didn't go over well.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan