Re: Working on my Winchester highwall 22lr

So , snow, 18 degrees outside, what to do? Well, I ordered the last of the parts to finish the highwall, and found a used transmission for my car at a price I can live with. Thank Spaghetti Monster I have a best friend that's a long time mechanic and lives a block away. He is going to swap out the toasted transmission for the replacement. I know my kids are ecstatic, they loath the bus in the morning.. Lol. .

As for highwall parts though, Track the Wolf, Log Cabin, and Cimmeron rifles enabled me to get everything from a crescent buttstock, sights, mainspring, mainspring lug and screw, and a couple other parts for under $75, including shipping.

So im planing on having it ready to shoot no later than mid February. 20 or so rubbed in coats of tung oil is going to take time, and I cant start until I have fitted the butt plate and my ebony inlays Im adding.

Now with luck my car will be back on the road next week. Damn Pacifica has the 6 speed wiz bang computer controlled expensive shit box transaxle.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

What a right royal pain in the ass to inlet a crescent butt plate... Why did I decide to go with this ? Arrrgh

The rough wax cast butt plate came from Track the Wolf around 10am this morning . I have pretty much been working on cleaning it up, ( as well as the rear sight from Log Cabin but that took 20 minutes), as well as inletting the stock to accept it ever since I opened the box.
Its now 9:52pm, and here is how far I am.

I still have a couple hours left .(at least) before I get the stock ready to start finishing, and the butt plate ready to Blue/brown. But its getting closer.

Hey , thats the way it goes, to get the $20 butt plate and the $80 stick, you make up for money saved with sweat equity, some blisters, cuts, blood, and many curse words.

But I did start to put Tung oil on the forearm, and many does it darken walnut. Hopefully once cured out in a few months it will start to lighten.

Tung oil mineral spirit 50/50 mix first coat and wet sand with 600 grit. Wipe, let dry 24 hours.

Then 0000 steel wool rub down followed by 100% Hope's Tung oil liberally applied, set for 30 + minutes , wipe.

Dry.

Repeat.

4 days now.

Not sure if anymore applications will do any good?

Or should I let cure out a couple days, buff and wax ?
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Oh, ordered a bronze flange bushing that Im going to make into a recessed shoulder for the forearm screw. It will be stronger than relying just on the woods integrity.

I also used 638 loctite to secure the barrel liner, and finished the chamber end with the exception of actually chambering it. I'll probably take it with me to my dads once my transmission is fixed and use his 22lr reamer. Cheaper than buying a new one !

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Ok. So I finished the butt plate off tonight, and discovered a way to make it look old, worn, all in a couple easy steps during the bluing.

Heat the metal to just starting to turn golden. Then apply the Birchers Plum Brown. Hold with rag or tongs, and wipe off cooked residue. This will turn the metal almost black.
While still hit, apply Cold Blue. Where you get it really wet, it will eat into the plum brown somewhat.

Wipe down with steel wool to remove residue.

Reheat, apply another dose of plum brown.

Cool. ( i dumped it in water and dried) they steel wool rub down.

I really like it as it looks like its been around a while. used with worn off bluing, when it was actually a rough unfinished wax cast steel butt plate that still had part of the spur on it when it came in the mail at 10am Saturday morning. Hours later it was shinny white steel with a 800 sandpaper polish on it.

I wish had done this to other parts. Almost a case hardening look ... And you dont need to get the parts near hit enough to change or distort its properties. Just dont inhale. Plum brown has Nitric acid in it.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Using my home lathe and tooling I machined $2.50 worth of # 10 x 1.25" stainless steel wood screws to mate up to the butt plate holes and the rounded surface .

Last edited by dandad on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Jennifer Wisner from Wisner's inc kindly sent me a new main spring. After I sent her $30 + $7 shipping that is.

It was not as easy to install as I though. Might have been easier if I used the proper tools but I Bubba fixed it in place with a pair of padded channel locks and a screwdriver to set the screw. All from my comfy chair ..

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Well this keeps.me away from messing with the High Wall for a couple days. Luckily my neighbor is a 25 year mechanic and is doing a transmission swap as a side job at his place. 15 years ago I'd have done it, but after 14 back and knee surgeries, not a chance. Its so much easier and less painful, and a better chance of not screwing up due to pain, to pay someone else you trust to do it. And I saved around $800 having him do it as opposed to the $2500 the trany shop wants.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Bushing came today to make the insert for the forearm crew.

Jb weld in and its ready
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Minor note, but according to my dad, this was an official US trainer, also known as a Winchester Winder. So the stock I am putting on it, is wrong for it. But Such is life.. The sights and some of the screws are wrong too.. so there :tongue:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I also did something with the 6 inches of barrel I was not able to install a rifled liner in. Now some might not agree, but I have always thought outside the box. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but in this case it can be easily drilled out. Also, the tip of the barrel where it was drilled was a little oversized (my fault) so I made that better as well. I hope.

-picture to follow soon-

I lined the 6 inches of barrel with a 5/16 hard brass tube. I made a jig to hold everything in line with the rifled liner insert and the end of the barrel .
On the end I used a step bit , finished with a dremel for a tight fit of a steel 7/16 od, 5/16 id spacer sleeve. Everything was set in place with loctite 638.
After about an hour I taped the end of the barrel off and used a half round Grobet file which has cutting edges to remove the excess steel sleeve and brass tubing. The finished cleaning it up with the flat side of the same file. Buffed with a small cratex wheel on the dremel, some cold blue touch up and it looks good.

Theory behind the tube. The drilled out has marks cut in it from the drill. I was thinking it may cause cavitations of the gases , so smooth walls may be better. Even though its still larger than the bullet diameter, its smooth. The steel on the end was just to make it look better, as I really didnt like that I'd accidently made an oval and off center end hole, and didnt want to just cut 1/16. Or 1/8 inch off the barrel tip. I would try this first.

The rifled liner in the barrel is clear of any obstructions so it should not be a problem. Besides, someday I plan on relining the entire 30" barrel, so I can always drill it all back out to 5/16.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:I also did something with the 6 inches of barrel I was not able to install a rifled liner in. Now some might not agree, but I have always thought outside the box. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but in this case it can be easily drilled out. Also, the tip of the barrel where it was drilled was a little oversized (my fault) so I made that better as well. I hope.

-picture to follow soon-

I lined the 6 inches of barrel with a 5/16 hard brass tube. I made a jig to hold everything in line with the rifled liner insert and the end of the barrel .
On the end I used a step bit , finished with a dremel for a tight fit of a steel 7/16 od, 5/16 id spacer sleeve. Everything was set in place with loctite 638.
After about an hour I taped the end of the barrel off and used a half round Grobet file which has cutting edges to remove the excess steel sleeve and brass tubing. The finished cleaning it up with the flat side of the same file. Buffed with a small cratex wheel on the dremel, some cold blue touch up and it looks good.

Theory behind the tube. The drilled out has marks cut in it from the drill. I was thinking it may cause cavitations of the gases , so smooth walls may be better. Even though its still larger than the bullet diameter, its smooth. The steel on the end was just to make it look better, as I really didnt like that I'd accidently made an oval and off center end hole, and didnt want to just cut 1/16. Or 1/8 inch off the barrel tip. I would try this first.

The rifled liner in the barrel is clear of any obstructions so it should not be a problem. Besides, someday I plan on relining the entire 30" barrel, so I can always drill it all back out to 5/16.

It can all be removed with a drill, and replace with a liner, so I'm not to worried. I dont plan on selling it and the value was lowered 50 years ago when my dad drilled it out to reline it anyway. Basically, i want to make it work for me.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Ebony came today.

Plan change. I wont be able to make templates like when I did inlays on guitars . I will have to free hand it, but I think, hope, pray, give offerings to the ancient gods, that my plan will work. Only time will tell. And how patient I can stay. Lol

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

My 14 year old didn't believe it, and I didn't think it would go straight down like a rock. But Ebony does not float in water. Not at all.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Calling on anyone who has some real knowledge about the old winchester Highwalls.

Firstly , as much work as I have done to this gun, bringing it back from a rust bucket of parts to the stage it is now, I am totally baffled I have not seen this before , but in the center of the top of the receiver where the barrel screws in, there is a lone Zero stamped. No other numbers or indications of numbers worn away.

I can not figure why a single goose egg would be sitting there?
The serial number on the lower Tang is 109077.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Working on ebony. It looks nasty, but its actually coming along well. The devil's in the details, as is the really tedious work. But I think it will work well once all properly glued up.
Now if it was a large caliber, I would either not do this, or do it a lot differently. Like maybe wood pins in the back of the ebony or joints similar to biscuits to create even more strength for the glue joins. But I think a good even coat of tightbond and 24 hour clamps will be more than enough for a long lasting, secure bond.

Yes I know it looks like a beaver with bad dentures gnawed it away, but I had to use a multitude of tools, from Japanese fine cut no back saw, chisels, vibrating saw, and now moving to finger planes and sandpaper to tune it in. (fingers crossed)
Its a lot of work, and I dont know if I want to so the other side..lol. But I have to as the other side is the side the plane pulled up wood , which made me decide to do this in the first place.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Working on ebony. It looks nasty, but its actually coming along well. The devil's in the details, as is the really tedious work. But I think it will work well once all properly glued up.
Now if it was a large caliber, I would either not do this, or do it a lot differently. Like maybe wood pins in the back of the ebony or joints similar to biscuits to create even more strength for the glue joins. But I think a good even coat of tightbond and 24 hour clamps will be more than enough for a long lasting, secure bond.

Yes I know it looks like a beaver with bad dentures gnawed it away, but I had to use a multitude of tools, from Japanese fine cut no back saw, chisels, vibrating saw, and now moving to finger planes and sandpaper to tune it in. (fingers crossed)
Its a lot of work, and I dont know if I want to so the other side..lol. But I have to as the other side is the side the plane pulled up wood , which made me decide to do this in the first place.

<snip pics>

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din....
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
dandad wrote:Working on ebony. It looks nasty, but its actually coming along well. The devil's in the details, as is the really tedious work. But I think it will work well once all properly glued up.

<snip pics>

I figure worse case, i buy another $80 butt stock.

And besides, what else could anyone expect. As my theme song points out.

, https://youtu.be/V9CSQfdFJ20

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
SailDesign wrote:

<snip pics>

I figure worse case, i buy another $80 butt stock.

And besides, what else could anyone expect. As my theme song points out.

, https://youtu.be/V9CSQfdFJ20

:)

I had assumed your theme song was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkgTQhRxpU

My first LP. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

I've milled grenadilla before. Smells like coffee. Turned my fingers black for a week due to the acid. I'd wear a dust mask if I were you messin' with that ebony.

I'm hoping you have a bit left over so I can try to flim flam you out of some of it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack