Howa 1500 review

One of my rifle purchases back in 2015 was a Howa 1500 in 7mm-08. This was the version with the green Hogue rubber overmold grip. It adds some weight and gives a good purchase while out in the cold and snow. What was my backup hunting rifle, soon turned out to my preferred weapon of choice when heading to the woods. Shortly after, sometime in 2016, I purchased a second Howa 1500. This new rifle, a 223, is designated as my range gun. Not much out there on these rifles. So here is a quick overview of these rifles and my thoughts.

This particular rifle was hard to find. Howa rifles - or rather the action - are still made in Japan. Legacy Sports out of Las Vegas then imports them. They add on the various stocks, scopes etc and then push them out to the vendors. So, one can find them in various configurations. The 7mm-08 was a drop ship from Legacy Sports to my LGS. The 223 I found at Buds. I had to double-check the model numbers with Legacy to make sure I was getting one with the Hogue grip. Howa also makes the action for Weatherby. A solid rifle at a solid price.

After my purchase, this rifle got stashed away as I was busy with work and life. I finally go around to it this weekend. So, here we go.

This particular rifle came from Buds. They had them for around 400 and this was the "Game King" version. Complete with a Nikko Sterling 3.5-10X40 Scope.

That of course had to go, and was replaced by a nice Vortex Crossfire II. 4-12X40 with AO. :) Scope base was included, so not much of a hassle.

The rifle is well built. The bolt is solid and the action smooth. Rifle is equipped with a nice trigger. Howa calls it the Howa Actuator Controlled Trigger (HACT). Basically a two-stage trigger of sorts. The initial squeeze takes up the slack and then a crisp 2.8-3.5 lb trigger pull. Trigger as far as I know is non-adjustable without taking the thing apart. While some folks like to adjust the trigger pull weight, I like to leave things as they are - and this trigger for me hits the perfect spot.

Another selling point for me: A three position safety. While nothing beats basic gun safety and using common sense when loading/unloading a rifle, the 3 position safety works well. An added layer of safety for some.

The other feature - or as some may consider a downside - is lack of a detachable magazine. This might be OK on a hunting rifle. After all 4 shots should get the job done, or you have no business hunting. On a range gun, I think a detachable mag would work better. If 5 rounds don't work for you, go ahead and purchase the detachable magazine kit from Howa for an extra 100 bucks. Includes a 10 round magazine and the swap is fairly easy. But you'll be going to a plastic trigger guard and magazine. No thank you! :)

One of the interesting bits of paper included with this rifle, reads something like this:

Yup. A break-in period of 20 rounds. I followed these instructions to a T, on my 7mm-08. I intend to do so with this rifle. My phone call with Legacy Sports indicate that they prefer one to use straight up ammonia as a cleaning agent. Hoppes #9 or any ammonia based product would work just as fine. Legacy says this increases the longevity of the barrel. The key is to time the shots and allow for some cooling.

The barrel is a 22" specimen with a 1:12 twist. Overall the rifle sits at 42". Rifle and scope come in at about 10 lbs, or so said Buds and I believe them. The added weight helps with the bigger caliber and recoil mitigation. This would be fine for a bench shooter too.

Cannot wait to get it to the range and see how she shoots. Range report and break-in details to follow in the near future.

Howa makes them in all the popular hunting calibers and in various packages. If you are in the market for a good hunting rifle, take a look at the Howa.
Last edited by JaxTeller on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Howa 1500 review

Nice review.

Oh, and Im bloody jealous.

So what happened to the Nikon scope?
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Good write up & a good rifle.

A Howa Axiom built up to be chambered in .338 Lapua is on my bucket list someday. A friend has a axiom in .308 Winchester threaded for a can. Needless to say, it left an impression & a puddle of drool. Damn fine rifles.
Screw communism

dandad wrote:Nice review.

Oh, and Im bloody jealous.

So what happened to the Nikon scope?

Thanks!

It's not a Nikon. A Nikko Sterling. Made in Germany, I believe.

Scope is currently in its box. Not sure what fate or rifle awaits it.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This thread needs bigger pictures (they are abit small on my 96 FOOT laptop screen)....... :sarcasm:

BTW - break-in procedures like the above are a fallacy and a waste of time, debunked decades ago, as a quality barrel does not need one.

Shoot 10-12 rounds - then with a "warm" not "hot" bore - clean the rifle bore w/ Sweet 7.62, USING A BORE GUIDE, for whatever rifle SA or bolt,
(40-50 strokes, dwn & back = 1 stroke, only using a "nylon" bore brush) rinse with Non-Methanol carb-cleaner like SuperTech 2000 sold at Walmart
Shoot - 50-60 rounds - repeat process........., DONE! - lube with RemOil or CLP when done shooting.
Rifle is only cleaned again when copper buildup is noticed in the bore - some of my custom Kriegers go 3-400 rounds between cleanings with no loss of accuracy at all.
(I do run a bore snake with CLP when storing them in safe between hunting seasons)

Note: Sweets 7.62 is "serious" bore cleaner, always read the directions and follow them.

This is the ONLY method used on any of my rifles - High dollar Krieger customs to $49 M44 Mosin-Nagants, expensive Les Baer AR10s to any of my AR15s,
(chrome-lined or stainless steel).

DwnRange wrote:This thread needs bigger pictures (they are abit small on my 96 FOOT laptop screen)....... :sarcasm:

BTW - break-in procedures like the above are a fallacy and a waste of time, debunked decades ago, as a quality barrel does not need one.

Shoot 10-12 rounds - then with a "warm" not "hot" bore - clean the rifle bore w/ Sweet 7.62, USING A BORE GUIDE, for whatever rifle SA or bolt,
(40-50 strokes, dwn & back = 1 stroke, only using a "nylon" bore brush) rinse with Non-Methanol carb-cleaner like SuperTech 2000 sold at Walmart
Shoot - 50-60 rounds - repeat process........., DONE! - lube with RemOil or CLP when done shooting.
Rifle is only cleaned again when copper buildup is noticed in the bore - some of my custom Kriegers go 3-400 rounds between cleanings with no loss of accuracy at all.
(I do run a bore snake with CLP when storing them in safe between hunting seasons)

Note: Sweets 7.62 is "serious" bore cleaner, always read the directions and follow them.

This is the ONLY method used on any of my rifles - High dollar Krieger customs to $49 M44 Mosin-Nagants, expensive Les Baer AR10s to any of my AR15s,
(chrome-lined or stainless steel).
I suppose size does matter. I removed the pics that I posted imgur and now posted them via Tapatalk. Looks better I think.. :)

As far as break-in procedures go; I am on the fence. However, as with most other things, I tend to follow manufacturers instructions.

Made it to the range this afternoon, after putting in a few hours at work.

In the 60s and a bit overcast. Light breeze.

Setup with the leadsled.

Followed the instructions for break-in and got 10 rounds done today. Stopping and cleaning between rounds does slow one down a bit.

First 3 rounds on the left. Second 3 after adjusting scope on right. These were Remington white box ammo, purchased in 2011.

Last 4 rounds - Hornady American Gunner ammo. I think the Howa like this.

Next week will head out with the bags. I prefer that to the leadsled.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Very nice!

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06 which is made for them by Howa. It is a very handsome and accurate rifle. Mine came with the same detailed barrel break procedure, which I followed to the letter.

It is necessary? I have no idea. I've seen plenty of internet "experts" who claim it is not.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:Very nice!

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06 which is made for them by Howa. It is a very handsome and accurate rifle. Mine came with the same detailed barrel break procedure, which I followed to the letter.

It is necessary? I have no idea. I've seen plenty of internet "experts" who claim it is not.
This is my second Howa. Followed the instructions to a T on the first one too. That one seems to be a shooter too.

I called Legacy Sports after I purchased this rifle. They say the break-in procedure helps with the longevity of the barrel. And they prefer straight up ammonia to be used as a cleaner. And, lastly, the key is to allow time between shots for it to cool down.

So that's that...

JaxTeller wrote:Made it to the range this afternoon, after putting in a few hours at work.

In the 60s and a bit overcast. Light breeze.

Setup with the leadsled.

Followed the instructions for break-in and got 10 rounds done today. Stopping and cleaning between rounds does slow one down a bit.

First 3 rounds on the left. Second 3 after adjusting scope on right. These were Remington white box ammo, purchased in 2011.

Last 4 rounds - Hornady American Gunner ammo. I think the Howa like this.

Next week will head out with the bags. I prefer that to the leadsled.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That's close enough for government work.

Very nice indeed. Ive always liked Howe. Good price range quality rifles. And the new Legacy modified Howes are pretty nice too. You dont need a $2000 custom rifle to do a good job.

In Elmer Keiths book "Shotguns" he has a great saying.

" most any gun cost over $300 or $400 is just buying garnishment"

Granted, that was in 1954

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Marlene wrote:Nice shooting and a great gun for the price.

Remember that Mr Keith's $400 in 1954 is $3600 in 2017
Lol. I thought about that after I posted it..so maybe we do need $2000 guns !

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more