Re: Installing swivel studs yourself?

Use painters tape to mark the centerline of the stock. Use a nail to dimple the wood where you are going to drill. Use the recommended drill bit and drill the hole a little deeper than the swivel screw. Use a little dish soap on the screw and install by using an icepick inserted into the swivel end.

That's what I did.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Forgive me as I conflate the "blues" thread with this one. I became a blues fan as a young person in the UK. I was always surprized how many old time bluesman had met their end at the hands of someone wielding an ice pick. I'd never seen an ice pick, but I was familiar with the ice axe that a rock climber might strap on his or her backpack in order to look badass. It was a mystery to me why so many poor people in the Mississippi delta or south side Chicago would own a piece of climbing equipment.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

nigel wrote:Forgive me as I conflate the "blues" thread with this one. I became a blues fan as a young person in the UK. I was always surprized how many old time bluesman had met their end at the hands of someone wielding an ice pick. I'd never seen an ice pick, but I was familiar with the ice axe that a rock climber might strap on his or her backpack in order to look badass. It was a mystery to me why so many poor people in the Mississippi delta or south side Chicago would own a piece of climbing equipment.
I ended-up with an icepick from my grandparents, who used it to chip ice for their icebox. I should really make up a better story...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

The pilot bit for the hole should be the diameter in the trough of the threads. Before you screw it down, rub a little beeswax on the threads so it slips in without raising too much of a collar around the hole. The wax helps the threads of the screw cut the wood rather than to chop through it. If the pilot hole is the right size, there won't be a little collar, and it will screw down flush.

I knew a guy who always pounded in screws with a hammer, saying the threads were for removing it. Well.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

johnmuir wrote:Hey folks, who can tell me how easy/difficult installing swivel studs into a walnut stock would be?

I want to put a sling on my old Ruger 10/22 (Circa early 1980's)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the great responses.

Sounds like as long as I'm careful the chances of me tearing it up are minimal.

Looking forward to getting a sling on it this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk