odd rifles at the local gander mountain

So my local gander mountain is going out of business (to be replaced by a store of whoever just bought them) and they have a couple used bolt action rifles with this weird loop thing in the back instead of a regular bolt. I know people here have talked about them before but I forgot what kind it is (and google is no help because I don't know how to phrase the request). They're pretty cheap (299 at the moment). Worth taking a shot (literally)? Anything to look for (in case they have some super rare million dollar one that they have no idea about? lol)

And while we're at it, they have this odd, unknown maker (at least to them) double 16 gauge with a rifle chamber underneath- and beautiful scrolling- for the low low price of 3k. That is definitely out of my price range but it's super cool.

Re: odd rifles at the local gander mountain

Mikeinmich wrote:couple used bolt action rifles with this weird loop thing in the back instead of a regular bolt. I know people here have talked about them before but I forgot what kind it is
possibly swiss k-31 and/or schmidt-rubin straight-pull. supposedly very good rifles but obscure cartridge. if someone was chambering them in 30-06, i'd get one for sure. if someone knows how to do this, please share.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

are they turn bolt bolt actions or straight pull bolt actions? Did you ask the name of the rifle?

Those " Million Dollar " undiscovered rifles are out there.. but you have to know what you need to know before you go shopping nd then you got to maintain your cool when you find one.

My small claim to fame in this regard other than scoring two No4 Mk2 in mummy wrap for $250 each was a range day at my local gun store .. the were having a sale on their Mosin Nagants.. any two for $199 .. I wasn't really I the market .. I was there to shoot.. but the crew knows me and felt free to rag my ass about not buying a pair or even looking.. I wsn't in a mood to buy I was there to get in 45 minutes of pistol and de-stress.. get to my zen target mode.. change my outlook .. get some dog and grandkid free ME time.

But they got to me.. they forced me to look ... so I went to my "look for a bargain headspace " and even back then 2fer199 was a pretty good price .. started at one end of the rack and carefully looked over each one .. found a MN 91/30 dated 1922 :yahoo: and a 1944 all matching serial number all stamped number Tula M44 ... :yahoo:

Then I let them believe they hard sold me and took my money.. and then I insisted I get my range time as part of the deal.. they usually gave a range pass if you bought a pistol so you could immediately try it out ( and at their ammo prices it isn't quiet the bargain it sounds like).. I bring my own ammo.

I'll just let the cognoscenti appreciate my buy rather than explain.. needless to say, and as you see here, I am not above still bragging about it all these years later.

the more you know

lurker wrote:
Mikeinmich wrote:couple used bolt action rifles with this weird loop thing in the back instead of a regular bolt. I know people here have talked about them before but I forgot what kind it is
possibly swiss k-31 and/or schmidt-rubin straight-pull. supposedly very good rifles but obscure cartridge. if someone was chambering them in 30-06, i'd get one for sure. if someone knows how to do this, please share.
Lurker 7.5 x55 Swiss is hardly obscure and usually cheaper than 30-06 and at least twice as accurate https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.5x55mm-swiss .. my last case buy was about 40 cents a round, it been a while , got a +/- 1000 rounds in reserve and plenty of berdan primers to reload my brass.. trick is getting good bullets recommend M173's if you can find them .. going for a little more now .. it's the one cartridge that I have never been able to improve accuracy on by hand loading.. and K31's are about the most accurate production issued rifle in the world .. you can get an argument from 6.5x55 Swede shooters and occasionally a Finn M39 owner .. I have both, several actually of all three, and in my hands my Swiss with issue ammo outshoots both the swedes and M39's with handloads.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.5x55mm-swiss

Just saying

Of course they were marked "unknown" on the tag- it is gander mountain. But after looking at Hickock 45 videos, based on the red handles on them, they appear to be swiss model 1911s. But considering that they didn't have magazines (or at least they weren't on the guns in the rack), after looking at gunbroker they don't look like that great a deal. I suppose I should just buy more surplus ammo and shoot my garand instead of crowding out my safe?

Mikeinmich wrote: And while we're at it, they have this odd, unknown maker (at least to them) double 16 gauge with a rifle chamber underneath- and beautiful scrolling- for the low low price of 3k. That is definitely out of my price range but it's super cool.
Do you mean "rifle barrel"? Sounds like a "drilling." They were also made with two rifle barrels over a shotgun barrel.
That 3k might be a good price, if you could find out the name of the maker and the caliber of the rifle barrel.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez