IMI Timberwolf

Thinking of getting a rifle to pair with my 357s. I live in a dense neighborhood and I like to keep my shooting interests low profile, so I'd like something I can pack in and out discretely.

Anyone have experience with the IMI Timberwolf? I like that it has a relatively short 18" barrel and the stock can be removed for a dissasembled length of 24".

Since it has a rail, I figure I could attach a low-profile peep sight and maybe put in a fiber optic front sight.

My other option is a 1892 levergun, either takedown model or standard carbine (I would have to remove the stock for transport).

Here's the Timberwolf:

Here's a Taylor's Alaskan takedown 1892:

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: IMI Timberwolf

If money is no a major consideration, I'd say get the Timberwolf. Better/easier for your need to carry discreetly broken down with the take down screw. I love my .357 Rossi '92 with a 20" barrel (really love it) but regularly taking down the wood stock is not ideal on a standard '92 design levergun.

Now, I also Have a Rossi '62 (Copy of Winchester '62) which shoots .22 and looks exactly like the Timberwolf (but smaller?). The thumb take down screw option is really quite nice if you need it. My only question/concern would be how well the Timberwolf cycles center-fire pistol cartridges. For whatever reason, the Colt 1887 Lightning was a finicky pump action .357 (and .45 Colt?) that was known to have cycling issues thus generally avoided by the CAS crowd for that reason.

Chiappa (still?) builds a take-down '92 that looks pretty spiffy. Bit more complicated a design and not so common a gun (especially in .357) so likely to be pricey -if you find one. But of course the Alaskan you are looking at is not a cheap gun.

https://youtu.be/IPMS8l5QiCg?t=14m31s

My 2 cents.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Thanks!

As cool as the Alaskan is, the Timberwolf has a few things going for it:

1) It can be kept loaded in the takedown position
2) Assembly/dissasembly is much faster
3) Pump actions "fit" a wider range of folks than levers. One reason I sold my 39a, was the lever was just too small for me.
4) It's already used, so my resale will be higher. :)

The biggest concern I have is the availability of replacement parts.

senorgrand wrote:
CDFingers wrote:Yeah, the Timberwolf looks all retro and skeletal, yet the takedown has features of gnarl. Solution? Both. :D

CDFingers
Bless your enabling.;)
I probably should confess that my retirement money folks own stock in gun safe makers...

:beer:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Ok, looked at Numrich for Timberwolf parts and they are out of stock on many of them, which kind of worries me.

Bummer, b/c I think I could rig a brass catcher for the Timberwolf, which would be a big bonus.

Can someone remind me where 1892s eject their brass? I seem to remember it was to the rear, right and FAR.

Up and to the right. How far the casing goes depends on how much force you work the lever.

Didn't know the Timberwolf was not a gun that's still in production.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi