CA compliant AR, now with less buttugly!

I've written here previously about the Thordsen Customs FRS-15 stock, which I feel has been the best option for creating a "featureless" AR in California and a few other states. Featureless = no "evil" features including a pistol grip, which then allows you to shoot a semi-auto with an external magazine, etc.

I have three of these FRS-15s on various AR-type rifles/carbines. I like the ergnonomics of them a lot, but the look of the buttstock has been somewhat lacking. See http://www.thordsencustoms.com/

Well, Thordsen now has redesigned that buttstock in a way I think looks a lot better. Here is AR-15 with the old buttstock (now called FRS-15 Gen II):
Thordsen old.jpg
And here with the new "Gen II" buttstock:
Thordsen new.jpg
Cooler huh?

It is nine oz. heavier -- 20.5 with all the length-of-pull spacers in place vs. 11.5 ounces. But I actually like that because this AR was front heavy (are they all?)
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Re: CA compliant AR, now with less buttugly!

Bang wrote:California doesn't bar that under the thumbhole restriction?
You can't tell from my crappy photography, but there is a little daylight between the buttstock and the buffer tube. About 1/4". So legally, not a thumbhole.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Here's a pic from the Thordsen website:
FRS-G3-RIFLE.jpg
This is using a rifle length buffer tube, which is a bit longer and thinner than my carbine buffer tube. Thordsen designed the stock to fit either one without touching, just barely.

Elmo wrote:I've written here previously about the Thordsen Customs FRS-15 stock, which I feel has been the best option for creating a "featureless" AR in California and a few other states. Featureless = no "evil" features including a pistol grip, which then allows you to shoot a semi-auto with an external magazine, etc.

I have three of these FRS-15s on various AR-type rifles/carbines. I like the ergnonomics of them a lot, but the look of the buttstock has been somewhat lacking. See http://www.thordsencustoms.com/

Well, Thordsen now has redesigned that buttstock in a way I think looks a lot better. Here is AR-15 with the old buttstock (now called FRS-15 Gen II):
Thordsen old.jpg
And here with the new "Gen II" buttstock:
Thordsen new.jpg
Cooler huh?
No. Still looks absurd and remains demonstrative of the fact a run-of-the-mill semi-automatic carbine must be contorted like a pretzel in order to comply with state law. The newer stock is little more than a variation of the look of defeat.
Elmo wrote:It is nine oz. heavier -- 20.5 with all the length-of-pull spacers in place vs. 11.5 ounces. But I actually like that because this AR was front heavy (are they all?)
Adding another half a pound to address a rifle's appearance is also ridiculous.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

While I won't buy it outside CA, I think it's probably the best aesthetic and legal solution in the state. You gotta work with what you have.

Complaining that it's not true AR is like complaining that a prosthetic leg is not the real deal. If you miss one leg, the prosthetic at least allows you to walk.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

DispositionMatrix wrote:No. Still looks absurd and remains demonstrative of the fact a run-of-the-mill semi-automatic carbine must be contorted like a pretzel in order to comply with state law. The newer stock is little more than a variation of the look of defeat.
Dude, you're harshing my mellow. :(

shinzen wrote:Just got mine in a couple of days ago. I dig it. Definitely changes the balance to be a bit more equal which I like. Also finally ordered the JP Silent Capture spring set to go with it, which isn't in yet. Tired of the sproing.
I'll be interested in your experience with the "silent spring" (sorry, Rachel Carson!). I have found that you can eliminate a lot of the sproing by slathering grease on the buffer spring.

Elmo wrote:
shinzen wrote:Just got mine in a couple of days ago. I dig it. Definitely changes the balance to be a bit more equal which I like. Also finally ordered the JP Silent Capture spring set to go with it, which isn't in yet. Tired of the sproing.
I'll be interested in your experience with the "silent spring" (sorry, Rachel Carson!). I have found that you can eliminate a lot of the sproing by slathering grease on the buffer spring.
Just came in today. Also adds a bit of weight to the rear of the AR, no more slithering spring sound while manually racking it, and it feels more solid. Definitely a high quality component. We'll see if there any appreciable difference when I get it back out to the range next week.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou