New Alien Blaster...CA Compliant AR

OK, this is my third dip into the AR world. Probably wouldn't have built it HRC was president, but that's a story for another time...

I built it on an Aero lower, which is nice because you get an upper retension screw, which I have never needed, but it's a nice plus.

The big downside is the hole for the safety detent wasn't completely drilled out. The detent wouldn't even go flush with the receiver! A little drilling and I was back in business.

Because I had decided to go with a Thordsen stock (Gen 1 courtesy of Elmo!), I used a pistol lower kit from Palmetto State Armory. I have to say, for the price of the kit, it is top notch. The trigger ain't bad and all the parts were grouped in bags. The big plus is they give you an extra takedown detent and spring! Considering I launched one into lower orbit, this was a great plus. Also, a Magpum trigger guard is included.

The downside to the pistol kit is that the end plate was ginormious wings for sling attachments. This doesn't work with the Thordsen, so some time with a hacksaw and dremel was needed.

The upper is from Midstate Firearms. It is a budget build, and they had one of the best deals on a 1:8 upper. Also, even though it's a 16" barrel, it is a mid gas block. Plus a good keymod free float handguard sealed the deal. It came with an A2, which is illegal in CA, but in my order notes, I told them not to tighten it and they did as I asked. The barrel sports a thread protector to keep things short.

This is intended for close-range shooting, so it sports MBUS for KISS reliability. I added a rail for a light, but also to keep me from getting my hand too close to the pew-pew end.

Last, this baby is going to be sporting a brass catcher. I have a real adversion to flying brass (which I think is one reason I love wheelguns), so I want to try this setup. Also, I'm getting older and stooping for brass ain't something I like to do.

That's it. Pics in a minute.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."
Attachments
20171007_125016-665x887.jpg

Re: New Alien Blaster...CA Compliant AR

senorgrand wrote:OK, this is my third dip into the AR world. Probably wouldn't have built it HRC was president, but that's a story for another time...

I built it on an Aero lower, which is nice because you get an upper retension screw, which I have never needed, but it's a nice plus.

The big downside is the hole for the safety detent wasn't completely drilled out. The detent wouldn't even go flush with the receiver! A little drilling and I was back in business.

Because I had decided to go with a Thordsen stock (Gen 1 courtesy of Elmo!), I used a pistol lower kit from Palmetto State Armory. I have to say, for the price of the kit, it is top notch. The trigger ain't bad and all the parts were grouped in bags. The big plus is they give you an extra takedown detent and spring! Considering I launched one into lower orbit, this was a great plus. Also, a Magpum trigger guard is included.

The downside to the pistol kit is that the end plate was ginormious wings for sling attachments. This doesn't work with the Thordsen, so some time with a hacksaw and dremel was needed.

The upper is from Midstate Firearms. It is a budget build, and they had one of the best deals on a 1:8 upper. Also, even though it's a 16" barrel, it is a mid gas block. Plus a good keymod free float handguard sealed the deal. It came with an A2, which is illegal in CA, but in my order notes, I told them not to tighten it and they did as I asked. The barrel sports a thread protector to keep things short.

This is intended for close-range shooting, so it sports MBUS for KISS reliability. I added a rail for a light, but also to keep me from getting my hand too close to the pew-pew end.

Last, this baby is going to be sporting a brass catcher. I have a real adversion to flying brass (which I think is one reason I love wheelguns), so I want to try this setup. Also, I'm getting older and stooping for brass ain't something I like to do.

Looks great!

(You and I need a refresher course from Rolandson or CDFingers or Bucolic in gun photography...)
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Re: New Alien Blaster...CA Compliant AR

senorgrand wrote:OK, this is my third dip into the AR world. Probably wouldn't have built it HRC was president, but that's a story for another time...

That's nice...looks like a cross between a Trek Bike and a WW1 Spandau.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.