Great. Now I'm addicted to punching paper at long range.

Bought this LAR-15 last year and have been gingerly shooting it and playing with it. It's a Rock River Arms BB2570 "Fall Special" which is a custom build. Basically they build a limited number of rifles with certain goodies for a limited period of time and when they are gone, they are gone. I found one at a place that had it in stock for some time and got it for a decent price.

Mounted a Vortex Strikefire II on it augmented by flip up front and rear sights in case the red dot fails. Been tweaking it, sighting it in and the last few weeks started pushing my range out to 100 yards and beyond. And now I'm addicted to punching paper at long range. How did I miss this fun for all these years?
13Rounds.jpg
13 rounds of cheapo Winchester 5.56 NATO xm193 ammunition from this gun using an un magnified red dot - couldn't do it with iron sights but still, what a lot of fun and discipline controlling breath and timing wind gusts and getting the rifle rest *just* right and the trigger pull slow and perfect.
BB2570.jpg
Shopping now for more/better glass and dies and components to hand load 5.56X45 and see how far I stretch out and make little holes in paper with an evil black rifle. Dang it. There goes the fancy raise from my new job and the sign on bonus. :laugh: :yahoo:

I blame all you rifle guys. First long gun I ever wanted to sleep with. I suspect there will be many more.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: Great. Now I'm addicted to punching paper at long range.

Yup. Why is this so addictive? Now on top of tricking this little toy out to do what I have been told "it can't do" (...and I already did it) I have a huge itch for a Barrett M98B in .336 Lapua Mag. Which is scary enough until you add glass and tricks and then it gets really expensive.

Looks like I'm gonna gave to sell some handguns to fuel the MaDnEsS! Strangely enough my Wife hollars and hoots like a crazy woman to shoot this little tack driver now that it's all sighted in. She is not dissuading nor discouraging me at all and that is quite disturbing.

Anyone have any experience with .338 Lapua vs .50 BMG at range?

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I shot a 338 Lapua just today. I think it’s an awesome round (we were vaporizing soda cans at 40 yards).

That said, there are a lot of things you can do between 556 at 100 yards and 338 at 2k. I suggest a 260 Remington or 308 or 270 Winchester 284 Winchester or something like those in a good bolt action that will let you stretch the distance out as you learn and grow. When you’re regularly shooting 3 inch groups at 600 and bored, move to 1000. When you want more than that, you’ll know what direction to move.

Something like 338 isn’t much of a benefit short of 1000 yards. The prevalence of detached retina injuries among long time 50 BMG competitors scares me.

Yeah....rethinking it a good .308/7.62 NATO is gonna challenge me about as far as I can routinely shoot for practice. Got a gun club locally that features a 600 yard rifle range among other stuff *but* ya *HaVe*! to be an NRA member (it is a really nice facility/club) and I'm not sure I wanna do that. Otherwise I only have access to ranges up to 300ish yards.

This is gonna complicate my Life in a fun way. What's the word on the .308 AR style rifles?

VooDoo

There are definitely 308 AR platform rifles that can do good accuracy work. I dunno anything about which ones. I'm sure some here could steer you right on that question.

There are also a lot of new generation bolt guns on pistol gripped chassis setups that are worth looking at if those sorts of ergonomics appeal. There's the Ruger Precision Rifle, one like that by Savage and Remington and chassis available for Howa and Tika rifles as well. I used to have a Competition Shooting Stuff tube gun that I liked a lot.

I forgot how fun distances can be 200 yds was a hoot this year at the range. I was even getting my 10/22 to 100 at paper plate size in a head wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

The addiction gets deeper. After having added a 3X magnifier to my red dot equipped AR and shot it at ranges up to 800 yards I decided I really need a 1760 yard rifle..or something I can bang a gong at 1000 yards at least. I have done the research and shot a few guns and decided to ramp up this fetish and build my own precision rifle. The stepping stone is a Savage 10 FCP-SR 24" in 6.5 Creedmoor and I bought a base model (one of the last I could find) and it's headed home right now.

Eventually it'll get good glass and a tactical chassis like the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 and other goodies. I'm even contemplating shooting in an upcoming 600 yard competition and hope to have my new pony ready to rock by late Winter/early Spring.

The base rifle looks like this only with a 24" fluted barrel instead of the 20":

Pix to come as it happens as we all know that without pix it didn't really happen. I'm stoked and looking for 6.5 Creedmoor dies to start loading my own precision ammo. This addiction is getting real. I blame Marlene.... :laugh: Then when I master this platform I'll be on to a .338 Lapua if I ever get there.

VooDoo

How are you liking the 6.5 Creed? I love it personally, I don't shoot .308 as much anymore. That Savage looks cool.

Someone asked earlier about highly-accurate ARs and I've had good luck with JP and GA Precision in .308, .260 Rem and 6.5 over the years.

I also have a .338 and it's a blast but it shoots $8 bills and Marlene is right, you don't get much advantage under 800 meters. It's hard to find and exceed that distance on a regular basis for me too.

I'm loving my new Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM. Borrowed a scope from my brother and have put about 100 rounds down range at this point at ranges between 100 and 600 yards. I'm addicted. Looking to buy my first scope and rings and getting all that mounted. Case to hold my new gun and all that.

I'll post more pix as I go as this is a build in progress and I'll be adding stuff like a tactical chassis and better glass, bipod, etc. as the drama unfolds. I added a 3X magnifier to the red dot on my AR-15 and that as well is really fun and accurate out to 600 yards even with a 4 MOA dot.
3XMagnifierRRA5.56.jpg
The 6.5CM is awesome. Can't wait to get my own permanent scope mounted and really push it for accuracy. Glad I went 6.5 instead of .308.

VooDoo

Shot of few pix of my new Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmore. I wanted to document the base rifle which was purchased basically for the barrel and action. The stock will get changed out soon to a tactical chassis but for the time being I'll use it to get familiar with this beast.
BaseSavage10FCP-SRTop.jpg

I wanted to buy a barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor with 24" fluted heavy barrel that was threaded for suppressor/muzzle brake and with the heavy tactical style bolt knob but by the time I priced it out it was way cheaper to find a rifle with an Accustock and just throw the stock away when I get to that point. First step is to get some glass on her and get to shooting and dialing it all in when the weather gets warmer.
BaseSavage10FCP-SROpenClose.jpg
I'll add pix to this thread as I build it just to document the build and to make others of a like mind drool. The Savage Accutrigger is about the best trigger I ever felt and is adjustable. Right now it is very low pull and absolutely no creep, grit, travel, take up...nada. It just breaks crisp and clean like glass at a few ounces of trigger pull. Best trigger I ever touched.
BaseSavage10FCP-SR.jpg
Jealous yet? :lol: 10 round magazine, brand new in box for <$700 with shipping. Can't quite keep myself from sleeping with it right by my bed until I get a case for it.

VooDoo

Added a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24X50 AO Scope and played with getting proper eye relief with minimal disturbance of proper and comfortable head position. It's 90% as is but I'll need to add about 1/2" to the comb height to get it really proper. That'll have to wait until I get a chassis with an adjustable pull and cheek rest height as it's close enough for jazz now.
AdVortexScopeClosedActionFi.jpg
I'm bore sighting it from indoors as it's really cold and nasty outside. Really wanna test it/shoot it but that's gonna be a t least another week. Gets a Bipod as soon as my $100 rebate come in from Savage.

VooDoo