Re: Winchester for Winchester?

Marlene's picture is the deluxe version. Mine has no checkering. I think that's the only difference. Some have said there's no finer rifle for white tails in the woods, but .348 is scarce and expensive. I am attracted to the model 73's .357 chambering. I don't have to step off my back porch to bag a nice white tail.

True. And some of the Henry rifles are just plain beautiful.

OP- If you'd ever considered getting into reloading, this would be the rifle to do it for. And I'd agree with holding onto it- I've got exactly one rifle that is an inheritance. I don't shoot it much, but not going to get rid of it since it came from family.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Indeed. Joel is definitely right.

I tease that I would trade you, but I would be robbing you.

Learning to Hand-Load 348 could be good for deer. Mild loadings that are more comfortable to shoot are still plenty for deer.

That said, I can tell you that the Miroku 73 is a peach. I adore mine. Shoots about an inch at 100 with the first three random loads I tried in it. You should have both guns.

HRA Big Boys are heavy, shooting .357 feels like plinking with a .22, good for hunting and very accurate. a 73 and all of the clones are much lighter, a joy to operate and they can be run pretty fast. I would like one of the Uberti clones. Keep an eye out the next month or so and consider the Marlin 94 in .357, it is coming out in the cowboy barrel, so a touch heavier but still lighter than a Henry. Marlin is really getting their quality back up to snuff the last couple of years. You can still a Rossi in 92 but only with the shorter barrel, which is unfortunate. I would like to get my hands on a newer Winchester lever gun, I hear that they have some trouble with straight walled pistol calibers but then everyone told me the Henry was total crap and that wasn't true. :)
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

My only complaint with my miroku 73 is that it won’t feed some 38s. The mechanism is sensitive to overall length. Not the fault of Miroku, just the 73.

The action is as slick as a Uberti that’s been worked on. Stroke is shorter than the originals and Ubertis, but not as short as the short stroke modified guns. There’s a short stroke kit for it that I might get some day. I imagine that’s absurdly quick.

I have the round barrel short rifle (carbine length with the crescent rifle buttplate). It’s the lightest configuration besides a trapper and the most stinky hot heavy bullet loads in 357 are still plenty light on recoil and more comfortable than 9mm in most semi auto PCCs. I really don’t get the appeal of more weight unless it’s for substantially more cartridge.

The Marbles tang sight is the perfect addition and this has become my offhand rifle at the range that only allows bench shooting on the rifle line but pistol caliber carbines are ok on the pistol line. Offhand rifle is challenging and I’m taking this gun out for it more and more.

Mossberg42MB wrote:Thanks, Shinzen. Good advice. The .348 is so expensive a caliber that investing in the reloading equipment would make some economic sense.
Yeah- for a rifle like that it's well worth getting a Lee challenger kit or an RCBS kit if you can spend a bit more. Oddball calibers provide a pretty quick ROI depending on how much you shoot. Plus you get better ammo for less.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou