The plastic fantastic :)

I have never been a plastic firearm guy. I like wood and steel. I'm not an Ar15 fanboy. Mostly due to a bad time in the army, but that's another story. Had me a Glock 20 once, never shot it though as it just didn't feel right. Went back to a 1911 just as soon as I could. As said, just not a fan of plastic. And then..........

My wife got a Springfield XDS in .45acp. I love that damn thing!! So my hate affair with plastic was broken. Got me some Ar's over time, and still never liked em. Sold them all and stuck to my old bolt guns and milsurps. An Ak is more than acceptable to me. Wood and steel y'all, it's dead sexy. But I wanted one in a domestically produced caliber. So that leaves me 5.56x45 right (the .308 rifles are ugly to me, wrong lines & pricey), if you've neer had to source a 5.56 metal ak mag count yourself lucky. So once again, back to the old bolt guns and milsurp.

So I was out and about yesterday morning after killing some time. Stopped by my favorite fun shop to shot the shit some. On off in a back corner I spy with my little eye something evil black rifle looking. The never seen in the wild around here Beretta ARX100, and my taste buds are going strong. I've drooled over these for a untold number of hours online, and have only been able to fondle the .22lr version before. It's just just dead scifi sexy.
TJ the store owner knows what's coming next. I walk over, open the shop safe, put said rifle in the safe. Followed by "hey man, I'll be back in an hour with some trade goodies". Ended up costing me my last two Yugo mauser's and a Steyr M95. Which I had maybe $200 in the trio. I'm not generally one to trade 3 for 1, but I've wanted one of these and I expect a lot of unpleasant regulations in the not so distant future. So get while the getting is cheaper and legal. But that's a whole other topic I reckon.

Anywho, the rifle. 5.56x45, completely ambi, collapsible 4 position folding stock, gas piston (fuck you di gas system, I hate you), quick change barrel, at a weight of less than 7 pounds.

Pictured with my Barrett and my favorite battle jacket.
Screw communism

Re: The plastic fantastic :)

It's laminated wood. Windham makes it in an AR-15 and an AR-10, and in a grey.

Plywood is laminated wood, and a 3/4" by 9" length 15' long on edge is far stronger than a 15' 2x10 joist. That's why manufactured beams with a 2x3 on top and bottom of 3/4" ply can span far further than 2x10's or 2x12's.

Good lamination depends on the glue used. Gorilla Glue is far stronger than the wood and not only resists moisture, it glues far better to damp wood.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

rascally wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:52 pm
lurker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 am you would (!) think someone would figure out how to put a wood pistol grip on that AR.
Someone has...you ready to pay for it..?

http://woodforar.com/grade-aaa-walnut/
That may actually be the WORST designed web-site I've EVER seen! Not once can you get a full image of what their products look like on the carbines and rifles. and the effect. They focus so much on the components and not how they integrate. The wood work looks like it could be amazing--if you could see it on the damned guns!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
lurker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 am you would (!) think someone would figure out how to put a wood pistol grip on that AR.

That may actually be the WORST designed web-site I've EVER seen! Not once can you get a full image of what their products look like on the carbines and rifles. and the effect. They focus so much on the components and not how they integrate. The wood work looks like it could be amazing--if you could see it on the damned guns!
You'll get no argument from me on that score. As much as they charge for the product you'd think they could afford to hire a more talented web site designer...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:

You'll get no argument from me on that score. As much as they charge for the product you'd think they could afford to hire a more talented web site designer...
:beer2: I'm sure it looks better than Windham Weaponry's when actually installed, which, IMHO, is awfully pretty, but I wonder how much heavier it is. I wonder if you could just get the grip?

I was positively against plastic guns per 2012 when Illinois decided it had to implement concealed carry. I began searching for my one and only CCL pistol convinced it would be all steel. Now mot of my EDC CCL pistols are polymer framed guns. Beretta Px4 SC 9mm, Beretta Pico .380. I do carry a S&W 6906 in 9mm which is a compact alloy frame as well as a Colt 1903 custom tricked (all steel/old school) but I'm a big lover of polymer and stainless.

It's time to evaluate guns based on merits and not construction. It was very hard (and expensive) for me to change.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.