Re: Why I hate your fucking muzzle brake

Marlene wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:50 pm This is interesting. It’s not just me you’re hurting, regardless of what you think it sounds like.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/0 ... ound-test/
This is an awesome report. There is a nice chart in the article showing sound levels for different sources. One is a suppressed centerfire gun. It is louder than a rock concert. I am going to show this to the anti-gun folks that are always griping about 'silencers.'
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I spent some time looking through the illustrator's website for more information on what centerfire cartridge was used for the sound bubble but couldn't find any cartridge info. I've attended rock concerts and have fired Federal 168 grain match through my .308 suppressed, something seems a bit off, unless the centerfire cartridge was something closer to .300 Win Mag.

I am really enjoying this thread. And I have learned a lot. I am concerned about my hearing. Specially since I saw the Yankee Marshall youtube about having a 357 burst his ear drum.
I have purchased flash cans for my AR and for my Sub2K. Yes I know, 9mm isn't that loud, but if I can send some of that sound downrange, all the better.
Does anyone know where I can get a flash can for my Swedish Mauser? It has a metric threaded barrel, 14 x 1 right hand.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Found a couple of possibly useful additions. The first is "Nature and Measuring of Firearm Sounds". Interesting that the 'sonic boom' is so loud, and that an AR-15 with a 20 inch barrel is 2dB quieter than a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel. Also noteworthy is that if the earlier mentioned sound testing was following the military spec, the 2nd sensor would have been at the head ("shooter's ear") rather than behind it.

http://www.larsondavis.com/ContentStore ... iefing.pdf
muzzleVshock.jpg
This is just a chart of various calibers and suppressor types showing the effect of a can.

http://www.silencertalk.com/results.htm

It looks like all of the centerfire cartridges tested were above the 120 dB number from the earlier graphic except for subsonic .308 and 9mm from a wet suppressor (both around 121 dB).

I hate them too. Not just because they are loud, but because they affect me in an unusual way. I feel sick and feel it in my chest as if my heart beats are disrupted. I've talked to others about this, none are affected like I am. I also get it at drag strips when dragsters and funny cars are on the line.

Reminds me of the famous line in 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' 'We don't need no stinkin' muzzle breaks'. Or... maybe that was something else... maybe.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

Hiker wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:05 pm I am really enjoying this thread. And I have learned a lot. I am concerned about my hearing. Specially since I saw the Yankee Marshall youtube about having a 357 burst his ear drum.
I have purchased flash cans for my AR and for my Sub2K. Yes I know, 9mm isn't that loud, but if I can send some of that sound downrange, all the better.
Does anyone know where I can get a flash can for my Swedish Mauser? It has a metric threaded barrel, 14 x 1 right hand.
Argh, I know sources for 14x1LH muzzle devices but not 14x1rh. :(
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Marlene wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm Hiker, I dunno if you have enough sight height above the bore for a muzzle device of appreciable size.
Thank you dear lady! I hadn't thought of that.

ErikO wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm
Hiker wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:05 pm I am really enjoying this thread. And I have learned a lot. I am concerned about my hearing. Specially since I saw the Yankee Marshall youtube about having a 357 burst his ear drum.
Argh, I know sources for 14x1LH muzzle devices but not 14x1rh. :(
Combine your sources with this widget and, sight height issues notwithstanding, we might have a winner.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

Darwinchip wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm
Combine your sources with this widget and, sight height issues notwithstanding, we might have a winner.
Thanks a bunch, this is a great site. All kinds of stuff I can use with a variety of my guns!!!

AndyH wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 pm Interesting that the 'sonic boom' is so loud, and that an AR-15 with a 20 inch barrel is 2dB quieter than a bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel.
Maybe the gas system bleeds off enough pressure to slightly reduce the muzzle report? I have no idea if that's the right magnitude of effect. I'd have guessed not, but I'm known to be an idiot.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

My wife gave me a year membership to a indoor range that opened here recently and last time I was there some guy had an AR and I'm guessing that he had a muzzle brake on it. The concussion was deafening and almost disorienting. I bet he went through close to 100 rounds in the time he was there. I was not happy.
Fuck muzzle brakes.

Eris wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 pm Ugh. Can I join this club? Today at the range the guy next to me had a gun that was so loud and put out so much air pressure that it knocked my Shoot-n-See stickers off the table. And he was doing rapid fire, too.
Asshole! (him, not you, Eris!) Every range I've been to has a big sign "NO RAPID FIRE!"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:23 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 pm Ugh. Can I join this club? Today at the range the guy next to me had a gun that was so loud and put out so much air pressure that it knocked my Shoot-n-See stickers off the table. And he was doing rapid fire, too.
Asshole! (him, not you, Eris!) Every range I've been to has a big sign "NO RAPID FIRE!"
This range explicitly allows it. They even rent full-auto weapons, so sometimes it gets *very* rapid.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:24 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:23 pm
This range explicitly allows it. They even rent full-auto weapons, so sometimes it gets *very* rapid.
Maybe they should divide the range: "Serious shooters here, Assholes pretending they're Dirty Harry or Army Rangers over there! (At your own risk)"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I would’a taken a break, and told the manager why. It’s not worth it having your eardrums pounded like that. Sometimes self-preservation is the most reasonable response.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Today I was at the range in Richmond and a guy next to me had a brand new 9mm Ruger rifle with a compensator. As soon as he started shooting I started receiving sharp stings on my left hand and face. I didn't know if it was powder or pieces of carbon. Finally something planted itself in my cheek! I pulled it off, it was a piece of copper jacket. Then I found more pieces of copper about 1/6" by 1/4". We were all scratching our heads, the range officer (who seems to live there because he is there all the time) had never seen this. When I was on my way out the owner of the gun had a wrench in his hand and saying his compensator was not tight or maybe screwed on crooked.
My wife (who is not into guns) was not thrilled to see the welt and scab on my face when I got home.