Re: lever guns: recommendations pls

My first question is "what do you want to do with it?"

If you just want to plink with it and enjoy lever guns, then a Henry Golden Boy in .22LR will serve you well. If you want something with a little more power to it, move up to a Big Boy. .357/.38 allow you to shoot fairly inexpensive .38 Special. Just know that the octagonal barrels can get heavy after awhile.

If you want something a bit nicer, and decide to pony up the money, the Winchester '73s made by Miroku seem to be very nice by all reports. The Uberti '73s are probably the most popular lever action in SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) Cowboy Action Shooting. They come at a higher price though. If you like the looks of a brass frame, Uberti also does a reproduction of the 1866.

As for Marlin, I've yet to see a new 1894 in .357/38 yet. I can say that some gunsmiths that tune old 1894s for Cowboy Action have refused to work on the newer ones.

Another inexpensive option is the Rossi R92. It is a clone of the Winchester 1892, and comes in pistol calibers. They can typically be a little rough from the factory, but can be made to run very smoothly for not a big price. There is a gunsmith out of Texas, Steve Young, who is pretty much the guru of the '92 and can make them amazingly smooth. I currently shoot one of his '92s for SASS competition. It isn't as fast as a short stroked Winchester/Uberti '66 or '73 or Marlin 1894, but so far it has worked well for me.

One final note about the Henry. While they are SASS approved, if you have any intention of getting involved in Cowboy Action Shooting, they tend to not be ideal. They have a long stroke, and the lack of a loading gate means that if you need to load a round on the clock, it is more challenging. I've yet to hear anyone say they aren't a quality firearm though.

If you are looking at hunting, then I would say the Marlin 336 or one of the Henry Big Boys in the caliber of choice would do well for you. Both can be scoped or shot with iron sights.
Gotta say, Doctor, your talent for alienatin' folks is near miraculous.

There was a full-page ad in the Shooting Times that came to my mailbox yesterday for the Rossi 92 in .357 or .44 chamberings. I read late last year that they weren't being made at the time, but, for good or ill (depending on what you think of Taurus/Rossi), I would expect that means they are shipping new guns now, or are close to doing so. You wouldn't think they'd throw away money on an ad for guns they weren't making available soon.

OTOH, none are in stock at Davidson's.
Last edited by Buck13 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

It looks like the Marlin 1894s are finally reaching the market. I'm interesting in them because unlike Henrys you can load them from the receiver, not from the front of the tube. Also, with a side ejection port you can mount a red dot or a scope on it. Plus they aren't super-expensive like the Taylor and Ubertis.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The Henry’s in steel have the round barrel. They are also tapped for a scope and ready for a sling. Since they are a side eject the scope can be mounted further back giving better eye relief.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm The Henry’s in steel have the round barrel. They are also tapped for a scope and ready for a sling. Since they are a side eject the scope can be mounted further back giving better eye relief.
Yeah, but they STILL have that Civil War Era front tube loading rather than the later mid-gun loading.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:51 pm It looks like the Marlin 1894s are finally reaching the market. I'm interesting in them because unlike Henrys you can load them from the receiver, not from the front of the tube. Also, with a side ejection port you can mount a red dot or a scope on it. Plus they aren't super-expensive like the Taylor and Ubertis.
I would wait at least a few months for any production issues to be worked out. I hope they are as good (or better) than the ones that were made in New Haven.

Yesterday, I went into a small LGS I hadn't been in before. I spoke to one of the owners about all kinds of stuff, but, relevant to this thread, about used (pre 1979) and new Marlins. He had me crank and dry fire some of the new ones (nothing in .357 / .38) and also an older .22LR just to feel the difference in the lever action. I must admit, while knowing nothing, to be surprised at the difference. Trying to think of the best way to describe it....maybe like shifting gears on a cheap bike where they kind of go "crunch" versus an expensive bike where they smoothly and quietly change. But that's actually too much. More like a very definite ka-chunk, ka-chunk action versus one that was smoother, and more subtle.

Still, I have to wonder if the side ejection port and the ability to scope it makes the new ones worth it, especially with their lower price...He mentioned Henry, but since, AFAIK, they only have that antique Civil War tube loading and no side loading, I'm not interested.

We also talked about 9mm revolvers. I may just break down and go for the expensive S&W 8 round model. Either that or the 6 Round Ruger Black Hawk Convertible.

For a LGS, he's got really good out-the-door prices.

I just picked up a JM marlin 1894 in 357 mag that I won in an auction on gunbroker. The stock has seen better days and the hammer got knicked in shipping, but it works and the action is as smooth as ever
marlin.jpg
After I shot it a bit, i went and put on a budget leupold scope and a leather cheek riser. I might have to find a smaller scope though.
marlin2.jpg
EDIT: Couldn't get it out during the evening or morning hours to get a good outdoor lighting shot so this will have to settle for now.

BillMcD wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm I just picked up a JM marlin 1894 in 357 mag that I won in an auction on gunbroker. The stock has seen better days and the hammer got knicked in shipping, but it works and the action is as smooth as ever marlin.jpg

After I shot it a bit, i went and put on a budget leupold scope and a leather cheek riser. I might have to find a smaller scope though.
marlin2.jpg

EDIT: Couldn't get it out during the evening or morning hours to get a good outdoor lighting shot so this will have to settle for now.
I gotta talk to my wife...my b'day's a month away.... :love:

I second Marlene’s opinion about the website. The Henry one used to be somewhat like that too with all of the big boys having a 1:38 twist rate. I called when trying to figure out reloading and it was really 1:16 (now the website has that number).

I’ve got a big boy in .44 and a jm stamped marlin in 30-30 (used to have a BB in .357 too). The Henry is by far the smoother gun with a better trigger and in .44 has an awesome balance (the .357 was nose heavy with the octagon barrel). But the marlin (at least the older ones) has a very nice fit/finish and you can (and I did) get a Wild West trigger replacement from brownells to make it much better. And of course it’s a lot cheaper and you won’t freak out actually taking it outside to shoot it. And you can get bigger lever loops or skinner peep sights for either one.

The hornady leverevolution 30-30 are pretty cool too. But if you get a pistol caliber lever, you can get a gun belt and a matching revolver and then another lever in a different caliber, and another revolver etc. until you run out of money or room in your safe :yahoo:

So many choices.

Oh, and if you are just thinking about a .22 lever - just go get a Henry golden boy. After you’re done crying about the price, you’ll never want to put it down :fun:

Personally, I'm only thinking about a lever action in .357 Magnum / .38 Special. I've got a kind of a bugaboo about minimum kinds of ammo. Moving out of 9mm to .357 /.38 for the wheel gun was a big step for me. My 9mm is all 115 FMJ and some home defense JHP (Speer and Sig). Now I have .357 and .38, in FMJ (don't think I have any JHP in those).

Seems there's Henry, Winchester, Marlin, and Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor.

I don't want a Henry--between their loud, proud, far-right slavish devotion to the NRA and the Trumpublicans, and the front tube-loading system that went out with the Civil War, they are off the list. I don't give a damn how well they shoot otherwise.

So do I go for a new Marlin 1894 CB, a 1979 or earlier JM for about $300-$600 more, but with a smoother action?
Is there really a difference between the 1894s Uberti makes for Taylor, Cimarron, or under its own name? Is Taylor-Uberti REALLY worth more than Cim-Uberti?

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 am Personally, I'm only thinking about a lever action in .357 Magnum / .38 Special. I've got a kind of a bugaboo about minimum kinds of ammo. Moving out of 9mm to .357 /.38 for the wheel gun was a big step for me. My 9mm is all 115 FMJ and some home defense JHP (Speer and Sig). Now I have .357 and .38, in FMJ (don't think I have any JHP in those).

Seems there's Henry, Winchester, Marlin, and Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor.

I don't want a Henry--between their loud, proud, far-right slavish devotion to the NRA and the Trumpublicans, and the front tube-loading system that went out with the Civil War, they are off the list. I don't give a damn how well they shoot otherwise.

So do I go for a new Marlin 1894 CB, a 1979 or earlier JM for about $300-$600 more, but with a smoother action?
Is there really a difference between the 1894s Uberti makes for Taylor, Cimarron, or under its own name? Is Taylor-Uberti REALLY worth more than Cim-Uberti?
I would definitely go for the older JM marlins, but they don't have to be that much more. keep an eye on the auction sites and don't bid more than you're willing to pay. Mine cost about a hundred more than a henry of the same caliber would, except this has the features I wanted and not the quirks i would have to work around. Its no cowboy action shooter IE: rubber butt pad, long stroke lever, and a low power scope I put on it. I can change those out if need be but it will serve me fine for what I wanted. It's a lever action plinker that can be loaded for serious shooting if need be with all the creature comforts I was looking for.

DavidMS wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm I have heard good things about Ranger Point Precision Marlin extractors. I don't know if that will smooth out the action enough to make up the difference between a Marlin and a Uberti.
Nothing will make a Marlin or a Winchester 92 clone or a modern "Henry" as slick as any version of the Winchester 73, Uberti, Miroku, or otherwise. It's not about quality but about design mechanics.

It's all about who John Browning worked with.... Winchester

Marlene wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 pm
DavidMS wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm I have heard good things about Ranger Point Precision Marlin extractors. I don't know if that will smooth out the action enough to make up the difference between a Marlin and a Uberti.
Nothing will make a Marlin or a Winchester 92 clone or a modern "Henry" as slick as any version of the Winchester 73, Uberti, Miroku, or otherwise. It's not about quality but about design mechanics.

Marlene wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 pm
I just took a look at GunBroker for 1873's. My wallet started crying and hid under the couch. :shock: I think these will have to stay on the 'maybe some day list' for now. :)

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:04 pm My problem is the local ranges don't have rentals...so it's academic or a WAG as to which to get.
That's my problem too; I just haven't shot enough to even know what I want. I have shot a Savage 99 and it's a great gun, but seems like it's in a totally different category than the 30-30 or pistol caliber lever guns. For now, it doesn't matter because a lever gun is behind a 22 rifle, a centerfire bolt gun, and possibly a .357 revolver. You can probably see where that leads to a .357 lever gun. I'd probably even get the bandoleer because I am a dork. :whistle: It will take me a couple years to accumulate those.....

Marlene wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:46 pmWAG?
I want to know too. Does it mean 'Wildly Agonized Guess'? or maybe 'Willfully Acquired Gun' or 'Wantonly Accessorized Guy' ?