Re: 6.5 Creed/.260 Rem/.308 Win compared

https://www.sniperforums.com/forum/cart ... ester.html

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=524335

a couple discussions started by the same person with the same post. They are from 2013, but still have some good points/thoughts. Things do deteriorate as usual when the discussion turns to 1000 or greater yards.

But there are some good points about what the 308 has to offer still and why it is still a chambering worth giving thought to.

In the Beginning was the Round Ball.
Ceiling Cat saw it and thought that it was good.
The Round Ball was big and heavy and effective.
Verily there came from the land of France one Claude-E´tienne Minie´ who brought the hollowed cone of .69.
Ceiling Cat saw the Minie Ball and thought that it was good, but perhaps a bit too big.
Made smaller by the number of a cat's dozen, the opposite of the Baker's Dozen, Ceiling Cat created the Springer .58 and saw that it was good.
By and by, Ceiling Cat created all The Calibers, some smaller and some larger, and thought they were all good, as did RCBS in the City of Gold.
Ceiling Cat bids thee take thee to the Store of the Gun and embrace the many calibers, one by one.
It is good.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:07 am US Military is adopting/deploying sniper rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor now so I'd expect ammo prices to fall soon.

Moderate experience with all calibers mentioned - with the right bullet/gun combination 6.5 makes .308 obsolete in terms of accuracy at range, wind bucking, trajectory, etc and retains more energy at range than the .308 hands down. Not sure about .260.

VooDoo
.260 and 6.5 Creed are very similar in practice. So much so that I sold my .260 rem rifle and consolidated my PR efforts into 6.5. I hear good things about 6 creed too, but I'm not that dedicated of a shooter to chase calibers. For most purposes, .308 is great, especially out to 600 and for intermediate "battle" rifle and hunting purposes. I wouldn't get an M1A, a SCAR or a LMT MWS in anything but .308, for example.

Also, I can see the availability of 6.5 increasing, but not the range ammo price point anytime soon.

IMO, .308/7.62 is fine if yer already invested in hand loading with dies and bullets and brass and have been shooting it for decades. If you have guns and the extras in .308 and can shoot them there is no reason to dump that stuff and start over.

That said, I shot to 1000 yards this week with friends who were shooting precision rifles costing 2X times my cheapo build...theirs in .308 and mine in 6.5. We all tried each others guns. 6.5 Creedmoor does everything a .308 does better and at longer ranges with a flatter shooting and less wind sensitive round. .308 rocks - 6.5 Creedmoor is better even in the hands of experienced .308 shooters.

6.5 makes 1000 yards look simple...almost boring. Hitting a 6" steel gong at 1000 yards with my Savage 10 in a tactical chassis and a 6-24X50 scope is child's play actually. .308 - not so much. I'm glad I started with 6.5 Creedmoor. I have buddies who adore .308 and it's good/great but 6.5 CM just does everything better. If one is invested in .308 there is no reason to change now. If you are new to precision shooting get the latest greatest. .308 is like 45-70 - great round in it's day but now superseded

VooDoo.
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

eelj wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm Personally I'm not quite ready to sell off my 06s for this new upstart caliber the 308. But I could actually see my self selling off all of my rifles and just have one rifle to do it all. That would be a 6,5 Creed.

That round and the 450 Bushmaster are the only 2 of all of the new calibers to pique my interest.
6.5x55 called to say get off its lawn .30-06

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:29 pm IMO, .308/7.62 is fine if yer already invested in hand loading with dies and bullets and brass and have been shooting it for decades.
Actually the 308 is still a fine choice for someone just starting out. Not everyone is trying to compete, shoot out to a 1000 or more yards. 308 still has a lot to offer. some of which the 6.5 can't touch.

I have nothing against the 6.5. If I was to get into long range shooting, you better believe it would be given some serious thought. If I had spare time and money, I would buy one just because. But there are a lot of people out there new to shooting, rifles and such and it is important they know choosing the 308 is still a very valid choice for many, many people. It performs and has things to offer that the 6.5 can't touch. both options have strengths and weakness make the choice based on need, not how well it performs at 1000 yards...unless of course that is your goal. But the "crowd" interested in 1000 yard performance is small compared to the reset of the "world" of rifles and what one does with them.

If you are not shooing over 600 yards (308 does just fine over 600 yards, but that is the line where the pro's of the 6.5 start to really kick in and tends to perform better. though some would argue skill/experience can reduce the gap between the two.), not into competition, the 6.5 has very little to offer over the 308. If you want to punch paper, do a little hunting, have long barrel life (on the order of double), ease of reloading, mild recoil for most rifles (light weight 308 such as "mountain" rifles and proper scout rifles can be very noticeable with their recoil for the recoil shy) to list a few.

eelj wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm Personally I'm not quite ready to sell off my 06s for this new upstart caliber the 308. But I could actually see my self selling off all of my rifles and just have one rifle to do it all. That would be a 6,5 Creed.

That round and the 450 Bushmaster are the only 2 of all of the new calibers to pique my interest.
Actually if you want one rifle to do it all or close to it as can get, not worried about making "scout weight", then 30-06 is the rifle to have.