Re: Considering a small bolt action carbine

My wife won a Ruger American a couple of years ago in a raffle. The finish on the barrel and action looks like rustoleum, and yes the action just doesn't feel like a fine Mauser style action. But it shoots very well. I've shot it off hand rapid fire and it doesn't bobble a shot. If I wanted a multi purpose rifle for general use in the lower 48 that included personal security I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ranch in 7,62 commie. I might even buy a 30 rd banana just for laughs.

Re: Considering a small bolt action carbine

Seeing that the Ruger American Rifle has come up a couple of times, I offer these pictures. I won this in a shooting competition the other day and I got a Leupold scope for it (3-9 X 40, VX-2) and a Montana sling. (Thanks to LGCers for the excellent recommendations! :) ) I'm not that familiar with rifles, and I've never installed, or bore-sighted, or used a scope before this. (OK, I shot Kirk's .308 rifle last meeting 3 times...) So, basically I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

But I managed to hit this six inch target at 100 yards so that's something, I guess. The two shots in the red were my last two shots after making adjustments. Black Hills ammo 168 gr. BTHP were used. I figure someone who knows how to shoot rifles could do a lot better than this, and it seems like the rifle itself runs pretty well.

Senor: The bolt does seem kinda loose, but it locks up tight. This is the Predator model with the 18" barrel.
IMG_4986.jpg
The attachment IMG_4986.jpg is no longer available
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six