Re: Swiss K-31 rifles

There are firearms I have, that I have mostly to look at. The Swiss straight pulls are not amongst those. With Optometric Intervention, I can see the sights, and they work great for Civilian Marksmanship Program Vintage Military matches. I've had eight of the K31, and my experience has been that the later rifles, with the uglier wood, shoot best.

The rifles on that website are pretty.

NuJudge wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm There are firearms I have, that I have mostly to look at. The Swiss straight pulls are not amongst those. With Optometric Intervention, I can see the sights, and they work great for Civilian Marksmanship Program Vintage Military matches. I've had eight of the K31, and my experience has been that the later rifles, with the uglier wood, shoot best.

The rifles on that website are pretty.
I love Swiss rifles and have a nice collection of K31, K-11, 1911 and 96/11's. By and large, I prefer the newest rifles for the reason you suggest. I also love the K31's with the Swiss match stickers on them.

NuJudge wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm . . . . . I've had eight of the K31, and my experience has been that the later rifles, with the uglier wood, shoot best.
I dunno . . . . I've got a beautiful 1942 walnut K31, and I couldn't imagine it shooting better. Better sights maybe, but that would be sacrilegious. I've thought about the diopters, but am hesitant to put $450 sights on a $289 rifle.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

Aztex999 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:48 am
NuJudge wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 pm . . . . . I've had eight of the K31, and my experience has been that the later rifles, with the uglier wood, shoot best.
I dunno . . . . I've got a beautiful 1942 walnut K31, and I couldn't imagine it shooting better. Better sights maybe, but that would be sacrilegious. I've thought about the diopters, but am hesitant to put $450 sights on a $289 rifle.
One of the great thing about Swiss rifles is, like the Swedish Mausers, they received excellent care during their service lifetimes and the Swiss never used corrosive ammo. As a result, the old ones frequently shoot as well as the new ones.

I've got a 96/11 that I believe was re-barreled, probably after it left the service. It is an outstanding shooter, even though it is probably 100+ years old.

One of my K31's came with the front tunnel sight, but without the rear diopter.

The front tunnel sight has a post insert that actually worked well with the standard rear sight, except...it is so high that I have to set the rear sight at 800 meters to hit the bull @ 100 yards.

I fired a couple rounds of GP11 at the target (a 12" target) at 100 yards...nothing. I finally figured out that it must be low...because the front sight was so high...I set the rear sight at 300 meters and got the two at the bottom of the target backer. Cranked the sights up to 500 meters and got the one halfway up. Cranked the sights up to 800 and finally hit the bull, while aiming at the lower red target dot. I've since gotten a Swiss Products diopter sight for it.