Savage model 340

I sold my Savage 340 .30-30 a couple years ago. I got it cheap and traded it away primarily because a friend with limited resources was looking for a kid friendly rifle that could take down a whitetail, and I'm a kind-hearted old goat :laugh:

I still have a .222 Remington in that model, and tomorrow or next Friday depending on how much a pending repair bill comes to, I'm going to add another .30-30 to the stable. I'm not really sure why I like this ugly duckling rifle, maybe I just sympathize with something old, unattractive, and odd.

At any rate, I had planned on reloading some spire point bullets for my previous rifle, but never got around to doing it. I would like to actually try them this time, and since I just repaired a broken Model 219 Savage that I spent $50 on; I have double the incentive to try them. I mean the worst case scenario is that I waste bullets, powder, and primers while playing at the range.

Re: Savage model 340

jimg wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 pm Cast bullets? That sounds like a gateway into another addictive hobby.

It also sounds like an interesting idea. Did you cast your own? Do you know what mold they came from?
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I cast my own, I have a mold from Accurate molds that drops a 170 gr bullet based on a tried and true Lyman mold. Works great in my 06 also.