'Bench' testing the H&R

For the sake of this discussion, my 'rest' is a toolbox with a piece of cloth on top of it. Not ideal, but I figure it would serve to minimize my movement of the pistol while comparing different .22 ammo options. I had expected to see fairly tight groups even with my less than ideal rest, but at ten yards (the first stand), the groups shot with the rest all within a 4" circle, and at 15 yards they were only a little wider. I can almost shoot that well standing without a rest. Makes me wonder about the revolver. I will need to rig up a better rest so I can test more thoroughly. As far as the ammo testing goes, I shot four tests comparing Federal Champion/Match vs Aguilar Super Extra. At 10 yards and then another two tests at 15 yards. Each test consisted of 18 rounds of each type of ammunition. Even though the groups were similar between the Aguilar and the Federal, the Federal consistently shot higher than POA and the Aguilar shot slightly lower than POA. Not a very scientific test all in all. I will have to rig up a better rest and try this again.
Attachments
range small.jpg

Re: 'Bench' testing the H&R

Shooting a handgun from a rest is a particular skill and takes practice and the right kind of rest to get results substantially better than what you can shoot without the rest.

Search for old threads on shooting a pistol from a rest. There’s been some discussion in the past on technique.

That makes sense to me, based on my own attempt at calibrating my MK III. I suspect that thing is a laser, but when I tried to steady it on the bench, I got a much bigger spread than the one ragged hole I was expecting.

Max, I've shot that one, haven't I? It's a nice shooter if I recall... or is that one of my optimistic fantasies? ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote:That makes sense to me, based on my own attempt at calibrating my MK III. I suspect that thing is a laser, but when I tried to steady it on the bench, I got a much bigger spread than the one ragged hole I was expecting.

Max, I've shot that one, haven't I? It's a nice shooter if I recall... or is that one of my optimistic fantasies? ;)
You've shot that one. I suspect it's not the laser the Mark ii/iii/iv guns are, but it is a nice shooter all the same and probably not the weak link in the 'me-pistol-target' equation. :-) Do you have a proper pistol rest?

It's been a few days since I was at the range and I've had a chance to reflect a bit on the process. I think Marlene is absolutely correct about it taking specific skill and practice to shoot from a rest. I mean, even the target acquisition process has changed. It's a different situation to understand and adapt to because the stance isn't natural or practiced. Clearly more research on my part is needed. I should probably head back to the range soon. :D