I came across an empty space...

I returned with ten rounds of .45 and sixteen of .22 after sort of a business like range trip. The MKII sights needed to be adjusted and I needed to put more rounds through the Springer. I’d needed to do this for some weeks now, but my real life has had a strong tendency lately to rob my hobby life of time.

Some people count sheep to sleep, but I invent all the range trips I might take if I had a half hour, an hour, two or three, a morning. I run through these most nights, as I never know when a time window might open up. One window opened today, and I did one of my ninety minute trips—enough time existed to post about it, too, which is an important aspect of the hobby: I post, therefore I hobbied. First, I did the work, which was to adjust the MKII sight. Then I had a bit of fun with the Springer.

Now, granted, I was not shooting off a rest, but shooting one handed @ 15 yds so as to get muscle development and memory for Bullseye. I figure first I make a ragged hole, then I do the fine adjustment. You can see the ragged hole developing a bit high and to the right. A few more trips and I may move the sights again. I have to make sure I’m doing my part. Moreover, there won’t be the sight-adjustment holes to cloud things up.

P1010316.JPG
There’s a rough spot in the Springer’s trigger pull that feels to me like a burr on an edge or maybe an under polished section of flat mating surface. When I finally crack it open to clean it, I will investigate about those aspects. I’ve been watching animations of the trigger, so I think I know where to look to find this spot. Out, damned spot.

The .45 was only about twenty five or thirty rounds of various pedigree, which I gleaned via a range bag clean up and general tidying-up of my shooting closet. But I must say, the Springer milspec has not yet dished up any kind of malfunction beyond my own error with the safety—I somehow put the safety off once only partially, which meant I could not drop the hammer. When the lever was all the way down, naturally it worked fine.

I have now gotten the good habit of a slightly bent elbow when shooting one handed. I have a firm but not extensively so, grip. My thumb is comfortable. I’ve been following that Soviet pistol team shooting style (from the video) with all my hand guns, and that seems to settle things down. It’s like a wind up in a baseball pitch or even in my draw cycle in shooting recurve archery. It’s a rhythm thing. These sights are nicely visible for me.

I’ll shoot a Bullseye next week—maybe rimfire iron.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: I came across an empty space...

If the .45 is a series-80 type, that might explain the "rough spot." I have some Sigs that have the series 80 style firing pin safety, and they all have an odd trigger feel because of it. Not really bad, just different from a 70.

As to the accidental engagement of the safety, a lot of 1911 shooters use a "high grip," with the thumb over the top of the safety, for just that reason.
Reunite Pangea!

Re: I came across an empty space...

MaxwellG wrote:So...what's the "Shooting a Bullseye"?
Rimfire iron, I have a Ruger MkII that shoots dandy, have shot it one-handed once or twice and it seemed fun.
Paco has been running Bullseye matches for a while now, an online shooting match.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47054

You can enter each category once per match.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack