Squib!

The bullet bellow made it approximately 5" down a 6" barrel. First four rounds popped off with the normal amount of noise and fanfare round five went 'ffffft' and I didn't see the hole it should have made in the paper. Opened the breach and sure enough, the barrel was dark. Sigh.... I guess this range trip is over. Once home, I was able to easily press it out using the wooden dowel you see on top of the gun. The picture just about cuts that detail out, sorry. Also, notice the un-burned powder surrounding the bullet; this is just what came out when I removed the bullet, more fell out earlier when I checked the barrel at the range. yikes! That's a lot of powder left over.
20180207_211447.jpg

Re: Squib!

A factory round. Federal .22LR copper top 'hollow point' from the 525 round box. I forget the exact version since I transferred the ammo into a small soft case for easier transport. I still have the box and will check later. and yeah... a good outcome. I almost pulled the trigger again, but then thought better of it.

The trip wasn't a total waste since I was able to test out a new front sight on my CZ. There's a different thread already on that though...

MaxWyatt wrote:A factory round. Federal .22LR copper top 'hollow point' from the 525 round box. I forget the exact version since I transferred the ammo into a small soft case for easier transport. I still have the box and will check later. and yeah... a good outcome. I almost pulled the trigger again, but then thought better of it.

The trip wasn't a total waste since I was able to test out a new front sight on my CZ. There's a different thread already on that though...
Sounds like the bulk blue box variety, which is a bit weird as Federal's usually pretty good about that sort of thing. Maybe an FTF now and again, but I've never had a squib. That's more a Remington Thunderbolt thing. :rolleyes:

Not to blame operator/gun error, but could the timing be out on the revolver? Did/does it cycle/perform fine with other brands?
LGC Texas - Vice President

Not likely a timing issue as the bullet would show signs of hitting the forcing cone (mangled) and all the powder likely would have detonated into gas. This is clearly a failed round with bad powder or something.

Yeah, Federal definitely wants to hear from you about this, Max. Call them with the batch number in the box and they may refund you the purchase price or something else for your troubles. But that is a serious safety issue that all ammo manufacturers are extremely wary of and likes to keep track of.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

The only time I experienced a squib is when I rolled a round that had no powder charge. (Oops...) the primer is enough energy to launch the boolit but only into the barrel to get it good and stuck. But I've never experienced bad powder that just didn't burn like what Max had here.

Just speculating here but do you guys think a .22lr out of a K-frame poses actual safety issues if a second bullet had entered the barrel? I don't think it would have enough power to destroy the top-strap. Maybe enough energy to bulge the barrel?

I've had an old gunsmith say they had to drill out a barrel full of lead from a Redhawk because the owner just kept pulling the trigger after the first squib! He didn't say what caliber the revolver was. Maybe he was just pulling my leg.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:The only time I experienced a squib is when I rolled a round that had no powder charge. (Oops...) the primer is enough energy to launch the boolit but only into the barrel to get it good and stuck. But I've never experienced bad powder that just didn't burn like what Max had here.

Just speculating here but do you guys think a .22lr out of a K-frame poses actual safety issues if a second bullet had entered the barrel? I don't think it would have enough power to destroy the top-strap. Maybe enough energy to bulge the barrel?

I've had an old gunsmith say they had to drill out a barrel full of lead from a Redhawk because the owner just kept pulling the trigger after the first squib! He didn't say what caliber the revolver was. Maybe he was just pulling my leg.
I thought the likely result is a ring bulge in the barrel.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

I contacted Federal about two weeks ago. It took them a while to get back to me, but they're arranging UPS pickup for the unspent rounds and will be issuing me a refund. I'm glad they'll be analyzing the remaining rounds.

MaxWyatt wrote:I contacted Federal about two weeks ago. It took them a while to get back to me, but they're arranging UPS pickup for the unspent rounds and will be issuing me a refund. I'm glad they'll be analyzing the remaining rounds.
Good on Federal for making things right. :thumbup:
LGC Texas - Vice President