Meet ups

The idea is within an 8 hour drive of Chicago, and trying to get meetups going.

Not a formal chapter but rather a hookup/lookup place. The state list looks like this:

IL, MO, NE, IA, SD, ND (far, but no one else serving them), MN, WI, IN, OH, MI, PA, NY, WV, KY, TN.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Antiquus
Loquacious

Meet ups

#1 Post by Antiquus » Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Thread for meet up suggestions and planning. This is just suggestions, if we get something going, then please post a separate thread announcing it.

Places I know about, that are interesting. I'm in Michigan, but I grew up near Camp Perry in Ohio and am familiar with the area around it.

First I'm joining a range/gun club in my hometown, the Monroe Rod and Gun Club, and I can take guests to the range. The club is right off I-75, about 12 miles into Michigan from the Ohio line, and it's claim to fame is shotgun, pistol and rifle ranges - with a 200 yard rifle range. Let me know if you are in the area. Very close to Lake Erie and these guys know which charters are the best if you want to go out for Walleye (a small Pike, good eating but lots of bones, they have made an amazing comeback as the lake got cleaner and the Zebra Muscles fed them - record breakers are being caught currently).

Williams Gun Sight http://www.williamsgunsight.com/ - gun sight manufacturers since 1926, make great peep sights and have a nice line of modern stuff. 3000 long guns on the floor, prices are never too cheap, but never outrageous either, even when the market goes nuts. They just hold their prices and wait for sanity to return. If you want oh say a 3 band Springfield Rifle from the Civil War, they'll have 2 or 3 in stock. 100 yard rifle range. 30 yard sight in section, 25 yard and 10 yard pistol. $8 all day any or all ranges. Near Flint MI, but the have their own wells.

Young's Longshot http://www.youngslongshot.com/ ranges up to 1000 yards, about 10 miles south of the Michigan line in Indiana, north of Fort Wayne. Nice place, wish I could have done more than drive by.

And of course, Camp Perry. I have to find out about shooting there, I think the only thing open all the time is the air rifle ranges, but I will find out.

So please feel free to let us know what places you think are interesting.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of one of those liberties which make the defense of our nation worthwhile. -Earl Warren

Simmer down
Site Admin

Re: Meet ups

#2 Post by Simmer down » Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Here in the Lone Star State we tack on lunch after the range. It gives a us a chance to talk without yelling. I think the Northern Cali group has cocktails afterwards :roll:

Unless someone is arranging play dates for you these meet-ups are a good way to expand your social circle, which seems harder as I get older.
Image Image Image
Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

valen
Been around awhile

#3 Post by valen » Fri May 27, 2016 8:57 am

I vote cocktails :beer2:

I'm in detroit, but I do a lot of my shooting at Island Lake, Near Brighton. Its open to the public and the range officers are nice. They have 25 yard pistol with movable targets, 50 and 100 rifle ranges with fixed targets. $10 lets you shoot all day. They have clays too, but I'm not into that game yet, so I don't know anything about it. They let me shoot black powder so I'm happy.

I need to check out williams at some point soon.

CDFingers
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by CDFingers » Fri May 27, 2016 9:02 am

Simmer down wrote:I think the Northern Cali group has cocktails afterwards :roll:
yeah, the Bay Area contingent tells a lot of those. :rolleyes:

I agree that as one gets older, it's tougher to expand one's social circle. I also agree that guns is a good way to do that. I've met a lot of interesting folks at ranges.

CDFingers
ImageImage
You thought you was the cool fool--never could do no wrong
Had everything sewed up tight--how come you lay awake all night long?

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#5 Post by ErikO » Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 am

St Louis has an excellent indoor range/BBQ joint. Just north of the city in IL is the Winchester Olin range that is free aside from having to pay slightly under retail for their ammo.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.