Mitt Romney fails to secure Utah GOP nomination

How will a Never Trumper compete in a ruby red state? Second place.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/politics ... index.html
After a wild and raucous day of voting at the Utah GOP convention, the former Massachusetts governor and 2012 Republican presidential nominee was unable to win the 60% that he needed to head to the November ballot unopposed. When none of the 12 candidates were able to cross that threshold, the party continued with successive rounds of caucus voting until one candidate reached 40%.

On the second round of voting, Utah state representative Mike Kennedy emerged in the lead with 50.88%. Romney came in a close second with 49.12%.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Mitt Romney fails to secure Utah GOP nomination

In an interview at the convention, Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox noted that Utah Gov. Gary Herbert lost the party's nomination two years ago because of the same anger roiling among the delegates. "We lost by 10 points at convention, it was 55-45, and then we won by 44 points in the primary," said Cox, who was on the ticket with Herbert.
Sounds like the CA Republican Party, if it was up to them to nominate candidates they'd nominate someone from the far right, totally unelectable. Romney will win the primary nomination. Trump has endorsed him but will Romney distance himself from Trump and his tweets.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Trump won Utah with only 46% of the vote. I wouldn't bet money on a Massachusetts transplant winning the nomination there. He came in second to an actual Utah representative. Trump doesn't have a good track record of backing nominees.

https://www.politico.com/2016-election/ ... dent/utah/
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:51 am Trump won Utah with only 46% of the vote. I wouldn't bet money on a Massachusetts transplant winning the nomination there. He came in second to an actual Utah representative. Trump doesn't have a good track record of backing nominees.

https://www.politico.com/2016-election/ ... dent/utah/
Normally Utah is a very Republican state except Salt Lake and Summit counties. Many good LDS members couldn't vote for Trump in 2016 because of his multiple marriages and affairs, so voted for McMillin a write in Republican. It's what many Republicans did in AL who objected to Roy Moore. Trump endorses a lot of people, not all of those candidates seek his endorsement, I'm not sure Romney sought it or even wants it. Romney will win the primary.
While Romney served as governor of Massachusetts and was born in Michigan (where his father was governor), his Utah ties are deep. He was brought in to help salvage the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics following a scandal, and he is perhaps America’s most prominent Mormon — Utah is the center of Mormon life and around 60 percent of Utahns belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He also resumed buying real estate in Utah in 2013 (he previously owned a home in the state but he sold it before his 2012 run), and one Utah friend told the Washington Post in 2015, “He feels very at home here.”
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ca ... nate-seat/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Actually, last time out, Orren Hatch had to face a primary, after failing to get 60% at the party convention or whatever it is. In fact, the other guy got more. Hatch went on to crush him in the primary and weasily, er, easily get re-elected. I would expect Romney to prevail in both the primary and the general, and expect he'd be a better Senator than Hatch--who is simply THE most 2-faced person ever to set foot in that chamber. So that's a really low hurdle to pass. Hell, even neo-fascist Mike Lee, the other Utah Senator, is more consistent and occasionally shows a moral or two in his politics. Hatch? None.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:48 pm Actually, last time out, Orren Hatch had to face a primary, after failing to get 60% at the party convention or whatever it is. In fact, the other guy got more. Hatch went on to crush him in the primary and weasily, er, easily get re-elected. I would expect Romney to prevail in both the primary and the general, and expect he'd be a better Senator than Hatch--who is simply THE most 2-faced person ever to set foot in that chamber. So that's a really low hurdle to pass. Hell, even neo-fascist Mike Lee, the other Utah Senator, is more consistent and occasionally shows a moral or two in his politics. Hatch? None.
Orrin Hatch does need to go, he's just getting more fossilized.

These were some polls in February this year and November last year showing Romney way out front.
https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-polls/utah/
http://fox13now.com/2018/02/20/new-poll ... nate-race/

Mormons can be funny sometimes. I hope I'm not offending anyone on this forum. They might believe in gold plates, (Christians believe in stone tablets written by god) seer stones, god's throne on the the planet Kolob, and that they are the 10 lost tribes of Israel, (where else do they get the idea of the magic underwear).

Even with their strange ideas they are hard working and industrious. Romney made a name for himself as the governor of Massachusetts and the savior of the Salt Lake City winter Olympics (was it 2006, I forget). Even though he isn't a native son he will probably win.