Re: Another Allegation Has Surfaced Against Kavanaugh

K9s wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:01 pm
sikacz wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:32 pm
AndyH wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:27 pm How's that 'ridicule' and 'protest' working out for us?

Sigh.
This all boils down to people not giving a shit and not voting. Slightly over 50 percent of the electorate voting is pitiful.
If I lived in Houston or metro ATL, it might matter. Not giving a s**t about voting is because voting only matters in some places. The right voters in the right places make a difference.

Many voters live in states or districts where they have ALWAYS been in a minority. I didn't vote for years, because it never EVER mattered. Local, state, and federal elections ALWAYS went Republican by a landslide.

For once, my vote here MIGHT count, but it probably won't matter for another decade. If Rs hold onto the governorship here (it is not mathematically possible for them to lose state house or senate), we expect another decade of effective gerrymandering and voter suppression.
I generally try to vote, but it really is disheartening knowing that my vote won't count for anything since there's no candidate with a chance of winning who I can whole heartedly support. We really need to switch to a proportional representation system like they have in other countries, but the vested powers in the US won't allow that because they know it would mean they have less control.

I used to complain about people who didn't vote, but these days I see their decision as rational. I just wish they'd decide that enough is enough and rise up (in arms if needed) to force a better system on the government.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Now we learn it wasn’t Agent Orange that limited the FBI investigation but it was the WH Counsel.
Last week, President Donald Trump agreed to allow the FBI to conduct an investigation of the rape and attempted rape charges levied against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh after Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) demanded them before agreeing to support the nominee.

That investigation only took a few days and involved just nine witnesses, neither of which was Kavanaugh or Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who says she survived an attack by the judge.

According to a new report by the New York Times, that wasn't Trump's fault.

Rather, "an exasperated President Trump" actually wanted a real investigation and was thwarted by the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II.

"Tell the F.B.I. they can investigate anything, he told Mr. McGahn, because we need the critics to stop," the Times reports.

However, McGahn convinced Trump that "a wide-ranging inquiry like some Democrats were demanding — and Mr. Trump was suggesting — would be potentially disastrous for Judge Kavanaugh’s chances of confirmation to the Supreme Court."

McGahn also made the case that Trump "could not legally order the F.B.I. to rummage indiscriminately through someone’s life."

So, instead, the FBI wrapped up the investigation without even talking to Ford and Kavanaugh.
https://www.alternet.org/white-house-co ... -it-report

“Could not legally rummage indiscriminately through someone’s life.” Since when has that ever stopped the FBI?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Learn about 1968 and the aftermath (if you don't remember 1968). When people don't believe they matter, things can get ugly. I hope it doesn't come to that again.

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... -bombings/
The hearing, part of an investigated led Senator John L. McClellan, Democrat of Arkansas, concluded that from January 1969 to April 1970, the United States sustained 4,330 bombings — 3,355 of them incendiary, 975 explosive — resulting in 43 deaths and $21.8 million in property damage.
...the United States experienced more than 2,500 domestic bombings in just 18 months in 1971 and 1972.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

AndyH wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:27 pm How's that 'ridicule' and 'protest' working out for us?

Sigh.
This all boils down to people not giving a shit and not voting. Slightly over 50 percent of the electorate voting is pitiful.
If I lived in Houston or metro ATL, it might matter. Not giving a s**t about voting is because voting only matters in some places. The right voters in the right places make a difference.

Many voters live in states or districts where they have ALWAYS been in a minority. I didn't vote for years, because it never EVER mattered. Local, state, and federal elections ALWAYS went Republican by a landslide.

For once, my vote here MIGHT count, but it probably won't matter for another decade. If Rs hold onto the governorship here (it is not mathematically possible for them to lose state house or senate), we expect another decade of effective gerrymandering and voter suppression.
When we have 99 percent of the electorate voting and the 1 percent still wins I'll agree with you. Until then I don't agree. Gerrymandering goes to the winning side and the winning side wins by voting.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Sigh.

When we have 99 percent of the electorate voting and the 1 percent still wins I'll agree with you. Until then I don't agree. Gerrymandering goes to the winning side and the winning side wins by voting.
Don't really care if you agree with me. I have no idea what that has to do with living in a red district in a red state.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Don't really care if you agree with me. I have no idea what that has to do with living in a red district in a red state.
You're a bit short. My point is the red, blue, green, purple doesn't matter when nearly half the electorate do not participate. Your argument fails on that point alone.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I vote in every election, local, state and federal - I win sometimes in the former two, seldom in the latter, being blue in a sea of red. Obama won, but damn sure not from my vote, thanks to electoral.

I watched movies all day yesterday - didn't want to see or hear the fat lady sing.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sikacz wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:28 pm
K9s wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:11 pm

You're a bit short. My point is the red, blue, green, purple doesn't matter when nearly half the electorate do not participate. Your argument fails on that point alone.
What's the quote? All it takes for evil to triumph is for the good to do nothing. Something like that.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

All it takes for an evil system to perpetuate itself is for people —both good and bad— to participate.
Opting out of a thoroughly corrupt system is a perfectly valid choice. I’m not there yet, but I understand it.
I will vote in the next election, as always, but I do so knowing that I’m voting for surface change and not for real reform.
The genius of America has always been its ability to fool people into thinking they are freer and possess more agency than they really do. That is starting to fray because people are finally catching on. I’m a slave and I vote.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 am What's the quote? All it takes for evil to triumph is for the good to do nothing. Something like that.
I thought it was Burke but I think I was wrong.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/04/good-men-do/
It has been said that for evil men to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good men should do nothing.
Reverend Charles F. Aked

I like this variation:
He should not be lulled to repose by the delusion that he does no harm who takes no part in public affairs. He should know that bad men need no better opportunity than when good men look on and do nothing. He should stand to his principles even if leaders go wrong.

I'd should also be pointed ou that the perpetrators of this judicial confirmation of an accused sexual predator and confirmed liar are hoping and wishing that The People will now just accept the ass-hurt go back to being good little consumers. They imagine that having the wounds of millions of Americans opened by Dr. Ford's credible (but ultimately unaddressed) testimony can now be ignored and put back in a social pressure cooker in the age of the (now global) #MeToo movement. They are not just wrong, they are also blind and senile.

The pain and injury revealed by this confirmation hearing simply refuses to "go away"...

"Old newspaper column from Brett Kavanaugh's high school called Christine Blasey Ford's school 'home of the most worthless excuses for human females'"
https://www.businessinsider.com/kavanau ... ol-2018-10
An unofficial newspaper from Georgetown Preparatory School, the high school Brett Kavanaugh attended in the 1980s, described students who went to Christine Blasey Ford's all-girls school as "the most worthless excuses for human-females," according to a New York Times report published on Tuesday.

Mark Judge, one of Kavanaugh's closest high school friends, and two other classmates reportedly produced the underground newspaper, The Unknown Hoya. The unofficial newspaper served as an unregulated alternative to Georgetown Preparatory School's official student paper, the Little Hoya, according to The Times.

In one of the Unknown Hoya's columns titled "The Truth About Holton," the author wrote that "Holton is the home of the most worthless excuses for human-females."

The author boasted about sexual relations between Georgetown Preparatory students and the girls attending Holton-Arms by writing that all it took was a public library card to "have a good time with any H.H.(Holton Hosebag)."
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi