You Go Girl(s) !!!

This thread is meant to celebrate the women of congress and the hope I have they will prevail over the stodgy old men and assorted idiots in office. The following was taken from several news feeds:

"Since the election of Donald Trump, women of all ages and backgrounds have become more civically engaged, especially on the Democratic side. In the 2015-2016 political cycle, for example, fewer than 1,000 women called Emily's List, an organization that seeks to elect Democratic women to office, for help in launching political bids from city halls to Congress. In 2018, more than 40,000 called Emily's List interested in a political run. "

Couple of shout outs to Tlaib and Pelosi:
Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.)
“Don’t you ever, ever, let anybody take away your roots, your culture, who you are. Ever,” Tlaib told the crowd in the packed space. “Because when you [hang onto those things], people love you and you win. And when your son looks at you and says, ‘Mama, look. You won. Bullies don’t win.'
“And I said, ‘Baby, they don’t,’ because we’re gonna go in there and we’re gonna impeach the motherf-----.”
"In her first day in office (this time around), House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) did what she had vowed to do: Fund the government and pass a bill to reopen the departments closed in President Trump’s shutdown.

Pelosi explained at an early evening news conference: “What we’re asking the Republicans in the Senate to do is to take ‘yes' for an answer. We are sending them back exactly word for word what they have passed. It’ll cover the eight agencies of government and exactly what they passed in a continuing resolution until Feb. 8th. Why would they not do that? ... Is it because the president won’t sign it? Did they not hear about the coequal branch of government, and that we the Congress send the president legislation and he can choose to sign or not?" She continued: “So there’s something very wrong with this picture. It can’t possibly be that the president is saying, ‘I will never sign what the Republicans in the Senate have written.' "
I'm so hopeful they and the others now in office are a constant cause of turmoil for the Orange Puke and his minions. :thumbup:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Re: You Go Girl(s) !!!

And ReTrumplicans are "shocked! Shocked, I say!" that Tlaib called the ultimate f-bomb dropper a motherfucker! :roflmao:

Woodward's book ends with Dowd's resignation that he can't represent the President because he's "a fucking liar!"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Republican strategist Stuart Stevens on Friday said that Republicans should be panicking about the optics of the new Democratic House majority if they aren’t already.

In particular, Stevens said that the large numbers of women, young people and people of color in the new Democratic majority contrasted poorly with the Republican minority, which was almost uniformly whiter and older.

“The visuals of new House should send a shiver through anyone who cares about future of [the Republican] Party,” Stevens wrote. “One side looks like America and our future, the other looks like Board meeting of [a] 1950’s corporation. A basic law of politics: be for the future not [the] past. There’s more of it.”

Stevens went on to point out that Republicans before the mid-1960s routinely won sizable minorities of black voters — until Barry Goldwater made attacks on civil rights legislation a centerpiece of his presidential campaign.

“Republican presidential candidates routinely got 30-35% of black vote before 1964,” he wrote. “Then fell of a cliff. Why? Civil Rights. Actions have consequences. The Trump led vitriol against Mexicans & brown people is not likely to be forgotten anytime soon.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/gop-st ... ing-1950s/

The Reptilians won't listen, because they are always right like their contributors (the rich WASPs and a few Jews) and only see what they want to see.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:40 pm The Reptilians won't listen...
In other words, this is the normal way of things.
Max Planck wrote:Eine neue wissenschaftliche Wahrheit pflegt sich nicht in der Weise durchzusetzen, daß ihre Gegner überzeugt werden und sich als belehrt erklären, sondern vielmehr dadurch, daß ihre Gegner allmählich aussterben und daß die heranwachsende Generation von vornherein mit der Wahrheit vertraut gemacht ist.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
I guess politics, like science, advances one funeral at a time.

Refreshing to see so many women and minorities, but I'm cynical that things will change a lot in 24 months. In our system of government winning part of one branch of government (legislative) doesn't mean you advance your agenda, more that you are stopping the other party's agenda. Legislatively they'll get little passed, but through smart investigations of the Trump administration that are made to seem non-partisan they can damage the other party and the WH. Impeachment should not be a consideration, look at Republicans impeachment of Clinton - Republicans suffered not Clinton. This isn't Watergate.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:49 pm Impeachment should not be a consideration, look at Republicans impeachment of Clinton - Republicans suffered not Clinton. This isn't Watergate.
Agreed. The guy's crooked and has an ugly soul but unless Muller reveals something spectacular, he's not much different than most of the rest of them.

YankeeTarheel wrote:And ReTrumplicans are "shocked! Shocked, I say!" that Tlaib called the ultimate f-bomb dropper a motherfucker!

Woodward's book ends with Dowd's resignation that he can't represent the President because he's "a fucking liar!"
It's just women's locker room talk.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The progress in the Northern European countries where the legislators are moving towards 50% female is very encouraging. The men up North like to take credit, but it is the women legislators that have pushed the laws that fund early childhood education, m/paternity leave (and lots of it), prison rehabilitation and day-care for working class parents.

As for highdesert's comments on impeachment - I agree. Unless the House has a pre-made deal with enough Republican Senators, don't impeach. Never shoot at the King unless you hit a fatal shot. Impeachment should not be a failed punitive effort (as it was for the Repubs with Clinton), everyone remembers it as petty.

Yes, I'm loving all the disingenuous pearl-clutching by the "shocked" GOP. I put out a social media statement consoling them; advising them they shouldn't worry - president Baby Tantrum will always own obscenity, because he is one.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

max129 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 pm As for highdesert's comments on impeachment - I agree. Unless the House has a pre-made deal with enough Republican Senators, don't impeach. Never shoot at the King unless you hit a fatal shot. Impeachment should not be a failed punitive effort (as it was for the Repubs with Clinton), everyone remembers it as petty.
Did it fail? On the surface, nominally yes, but EFFECTIVELY it worked: 2 years later George W. Bush barely snuck by to become President, despite losing the pop vote by 1/2 million, and while he had a divided government (51 Dem senators to 49 GOP) for only 2 years, Republicans dominated government from 2001 to 2007. And destroyed the economy and got us into 2 endless wars, fucked up the Katrina recovery, etc. Without impeachment, Al Gore might well have won a sweeping victory.

The endless Benghazi and eMail investigations did the same thing to Hillary Clinton in 2016...and the market and economy crash is coming. Jobs numbers for December were up, but so is the unemployment rate, which is THE main trailing indicator of the nation's future economic health.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Amen, Rashida Tlaib. Impeach the motherfucker. The sooner the better. 2/3 of the Senate convicting wouldn't happen even if Trump personally machine-gunned widows and orphans on Pennsylvania Ave., but if we are going to be a nation of laws, then Congress should at least make some attempt to do it's job as the 3rd branch of government.

DJT can trash muslims and the GOP is silent. Rashida Tlaib responds to the MFer and even the media says "tsk tsk"???

I hope non-Republicans are still mad, still run for office, still donate, and still vote. This nonsense has to end. It is up to the people to end this nonsense.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

joemac wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 am Amen, Rashida Tlaib. Impeach the motherfucker. The sooner the better. 2/3 of the Senate convicting wouldn't happen even if Trump personally machine-gunned widows and orphans on Pennsylvania Ave., but if we are going to be a nation of laws, then Congress should at least make some attempt to do it's job as the 3rd branch of government.
Sure would be great. But, what about the trial in the senate. Even if found guilty, we’ve never physically removed a president from office. I’m not convinced anything will come out of this before the next election. Then if he wins again, case closed.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm
joemac wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 am Amen, Rashida Tlaib. Impeach the motherfucker. The sooner the better. 2/3 of the Senate convicting wouldn't happen even if Trump personally machine-gunned widows and orphans on Pennsylvania Ave., but if we are going to be a nation of laws, then Congress should at least make some attempt to do it's job as the 3rd branch of government.
Sure would be great. But, what about the trial in the senate. Even if found guilty, we’ve never physically removed a president from office. I’m not convinced anything will come out of this before the next election. Then if he wins again, case closed.
I don't believe for a minute that DJT would be removed by the Senate. It would take a whole lot to get that to happen, and it just won't happen with 20+ GOP Senators up for reelection in 2020. However, big scandals just might be enough to sink his reelection campaign. The big prize would be taking the Senate from the GOP so that a new, progressive president could appoint young, progressive judges to lifetime appointments. We are stuck with DJT for at least two more years.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm
I don't believe for a minute that DJT would be removed by the Senate. It would take a whole lot to get that to happen, and it just won't happen with 20+ GOP Senators up for reelection in 2020. However, big scandals just might be enough to sink his reelection campaign. The big prize would be taking the Senate from the GOP so that a new, progressive president could appoint young, progressive judges to lifetime appointments. We are stuck with DJT for at least two more years.
Hmmm...young progressive....depends on what their goals are.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:10 pm
Hmmm...young progressive....depends on what their goals are.
I already know what these new, young, far-right judges are doing. I am not going to be picky. There are FAR too many right-wing judges out there right now. They need some balance. The far-right is at least as gun-grabbing as the left. However, the left recognizes the Constitution and can often be reasonable. Remember that Republican President (and Congress) gave gun owners nothing and, arguably, reduced gun rights.

This is America. We get to vote for our corporate overlords. Until we can get actual progressive democracy, I will vote with the liberal corporations.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I know, Hoyer is a dude, but this was too good to let it go!!
Before lawmakers left Washington Friday, House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) attempted to make a similar point as Trump did Saturday about the 2016 election in a floor exchange with Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.).
“He was elected by the American people as president to carry out border security and build a wall,” Scalise said. “It was part of the national debate. I know some people on your side don’t even want to recognize that that election occurred and the result. But it happened.”
Replied Hoyer, “Oh no, I think there was an election, and he did raise that question. And as I recall, that’s why I’m the majority leader and you’re the minority whip.”
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I know of several women who call DJT names like that. I assume that most of the planet nodded in agreement when Rashida Tlaib said that.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wino wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:05 pm I know, Hoyer is a dude, but this was too good to let it go!!
Before lawmakers left Washington Friday, House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) attempted to make a similar point as Trump did Saturday about the 2016 election in a floor exchange with Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.).
“He was elected by the American people as president to carry out border security and build a wall,” Scalise said. “It was part of the national debate. I know some people on your side don’t even want to recognize that that election occurred and the result. But it happened.”
Replied Hoyer, “Oh no, I think there was an election, and he did raise that question. And as I recall, that’s why I’m the majority leader and you’re the minority whip.”
About time Democrats grew a set and a spine! :clap: :yahoo:

I posted the following Dec. 12, 2018 - I thought here at LGC, but was in error, so I repost from another forum, since it is even more apropos now that L'il Donnie got ball busted.
Seems a San Fran Granny walked away with Orange Blobs gonads in her coat pocket. LOL If ever a facial expression says it all, this is it!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...6 ... a8f0cb4d85
DJT Gonads in Pocket.jpg

Totally emasculated!!
Seems that Pelosi has gelded the golden/orange idol and REALLY did have his gonads in her pocket that day!! Yesterday was the coup de grâce!!

You GO GIRL!!!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27 pm And ReTrumplicans are "shocked! Shocked, I say!" that Tlaib called the ultimate f-bomb dropper a motherfucker! :roflmao:

Shocking....positively shocking! Good for them...give it back to 'em in...well you know!
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Pelosi's father was Thomas D'Alesandro Jr., Mayor of Baltimore so she grew up in big city politics and she's been in the House since 1987 so she knows Washington politics very well.
The speaker also understood something that Democrats often forget: Americans like their government. While polls usually show that the public opposes government in the abstract, when asked about specific measures such as Social Security or homeland security people sing a different tune.
This is the dynamic that is usually at work with government shutdowns. As the pain of having no government becomes clear -- such as the announcement of airport delays Friday with dizzying maps of planes thrown off course -- people usually become unhappy.

Most Republicans remembered this from the shutdowns in 1995-1996 and 2013. Pelosi certainly did. Trump did not. And now he is paying the price. Many new members of the House were uncertain about voting for Pelosi to be their leader. She quickly quashed the insurgents. But now, in her first official confrontation with Trump, she has proven her chops to all of them. It is no wonder the President has been so reluctant to tweet about her or give her a demeaning nickname. He has seen his top opponent, and the President is scared.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/25/opinions ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

GOP spent tens of millions to bash Pelosi in 2018. A few weeks ago, pundits on every side were wondering if she would even become Speaker of the House. Now? I don't hear anything negative about her except the impotent screams of the "Freedom Caucus" thugs.

She did more for the Dem brand in one month than Faux News did for the GOP since the day it was merged with the GOP.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt