The Liberal Gun Club Forum

The posts on this public forum do not necessarily represent the LGC

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pocket Shot... what could go wrong with this idea?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 pm 
Postal Match Winner
Postal Match Winner
Send private message  Profile

We've certainly all heard about the importance of a well-designed holster that covers the trigger for safe carry of safety-less pistols. So WTF were DeSantis smoking when they produced a holster that deliberately leaves the trigger exposed?

Attachment:
pocket shot.jpg
pocket shot.jpg [ 21.3 KiB | Viewed 1853 times ]

I promised in another thread to behave myself, so I'll refrain from making the predictable snark about "an accident waiting to happen in my pants." Oops.

Post subject: Re: Pocket Shot... what could go wrong with this idea?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm 
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not certain of what this is accomplishing. Even if the the trigger were covered, it's not a holster that looks to provide quick access to the gun. It would be better to just make a grip that has a belt clip attached. In fact, I think someone makes a pocket pistol that does (not the NAA Mini Revolver). Bersa?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:42 pm 
Carpal Tunnel

Rarely does stupidity stifle me, but that takes the cake.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:04 pm 
Carpal Tunnel
Send private message  WWW  Profile

retrojoe wrote:
I'm not certain of what this is accomplishing. Even if the the trigger were covered, it's not a holster that looks to provide quick access to the gun. It would be better to just make a grip that has a belt clip attached. In fact, I think someone makes a pocket pistol that does (not the NAA Mini Revolver). Bersa?

Kel-Tec has belt clips for their p-series.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 pm 
Grizzled Veteran

ErikO wrote:
retrojoe wrote:

Thanks! I'm at work and I don't like to spend too much time surfing gun websites so I couldn't track it down (even though I've made multiple Gunbroker purchases "on the job").

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

It's a sort of copy of a holster for this little bugger...
Attachment:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png [ 148.22 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

designed to appear to be a wallet in the back pocket...
Attachment:
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png [ 143.22 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/39
Looks to be the same idea, back pocket concealment ... quick access

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:06 pm 
Chatty

MtnMan wrote:
We've certainly all heard about the importance of a well-designed holster that covers the trigger for safe carry of safety-less pistols. So WTF were DeSantis smoking when they produced a holster that deliberately leaves the trigger exposed?

Attachment:
pocket shot.jpg

I promised in another thread to behave myself, so I'll refrain from making the predictable snark about "an accident waiting to happen in my pants." Oops.

So... one can try shooting at someone from inside a pants pocket? :hmmm: Which wouldn't allow the slide to operate or spent casing to extract properly. Plus it would be hard on your pants.

At best it hides the shape of the pistol when it imprints and keeps it oriented correctly in the pocket for quick access. That second hole for the middle finger looks like it would be difficult to access in a hurry while fishing around in a pocket or purse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:11 pm 
Carpal Tunnel

TxChinaman wrote:

So... one can try shooting at someone from inside a pants pocket? :hmmm: Which wouldn't allow the slide to operate or spent casing to extract properly. Plus it would be hard on your pants.

At best it hides the shape of the pistol when it imprints and keeps it oriented correctly in the pocket for quick access. That second hole for the middle finger looks like it would be difficult to access in a hurry while fishing around in a pocket or purse.

Actually, it looks like the slide can actuate properly on that pistol. Hot gasses, hot brass...definately no party in the pants that the gun is shot from.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

I really think that it is designed to create the appearance of a wallet's imprint, rather than that of a pistol while in a back pocket, however I am pretty sure it is intended to be removed from the pocket before it's fired.

The holes look to be designed so that the pistol can be fired while remaining in the holster, which from a self defense perspective makes sense. If the holster itself is thick enough to prevent something from easily catching the trigger while being pocketed...maybe not such a bad idea...

like any other holster, you find out once it's yours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
Carpal Tunnel

These guys have been around for a while now, but their product requires withdrawing the pistol from the holster.:
http://www.pocketholsters.com/

Since I first saw this design from Desantis, I have been wondering how they get around the fact that there is a provision in the NFA under the AOW (Any Other Weapon) heading that specifically regulates "wallet guns", or guns that fire from inside a holster that look like a wallet. It would seem that one could buy the pistol or the holster, but not have both for fear of running afoul of federal law. The tax stamp for an AOW is cheap (only $5), but the combination of that holster with a pistol without the stamp would seem to be a prescription for disaster should a knowledgeable LEO ever give you a close inspection.

Leaving the trigger exposed seems like a bad idea, but if it is the ONLY thing in the pocket, with as much as the holster is built up around it, I could see it being OK. The hole for the middle finger seems like it would be rather uncomfortable to hold, and probably doubly so to shoot. Even the smallest of these pistols usually allows at least two fingers on the grip, and for good reason.

As for the belt clips, Kel-Tec sells theirs for specific models, but you can get one from these guys for many more models:
http://www.clipdraw.com/

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:28 pm 
Grizzled Veteran

I went and found the product listing: http://www.desantisholster.com/store/WH ... CP-380-Cal

Apparently it is designed to disguise the gun as a wallet. And it is also illegal in CA (probably for the same reason AmirMortal pointed out).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 pm 
Postal Match Winner
Postal Match Winner

AmirMortal wrote:
Since I first saw this design from Desantis, I have been wondering how they get around the fact that there is a provision in the NFA under the AOW (Any Other Weapon) heading that specifically regulates "wallet guns", or guns that fire from inside a holster that look like a wallet.

Supposedly, BAFTE has ruled this is not an AOW because of the exposed slide.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:57 pm 
Been around awhile

AmirMortal wrote:
Since I first saw this design from Desantis, I have been wondering how they get around the fact that there is a provision in the NFA under the AOW (Any Other Weapon) heading that specifically regulates "wallet guns", or guns that fire from inside a holster that look like a wallet. It would seem that one could buy the pistol or the holster, but not have both for fear of running afoul of federal law. The tax stamp for an AOW is cheap (only $5), but the combination of that holster with a pistol without the stamp would seem to be a prescription for disaster should a knowledgeable LEO ever give you a close inspection.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember that Detonics ran into this issue back in the day. Could very well be that since the slide is exposed it doesn't fall under the current ATF rules.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:35 pm 
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.technaclip.com/index.html

Thread Killer

Last edited by GuitarsandGuns on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:24 am 
Loquacious

ErikO wrote:
retrojoe wrote:

Got a belt clip on my Keltec P32...I also have a belt clip that goes on my 1911, but I stopped using it-too heavy!
I kind of think that holster is not legal in a lot of places...

mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:09 pm 
Helpful Contributor

rolandson wrote:
It's a sort of copy of a holster for this little bugger...
Attachment:
Picture 1.png

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

designed to appear to be a wallet in the back pocket...
Attachment:
Picture 2.png

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/39
Looks to be the same idea, back pocket concealment ... quick access

Yes, the idea is that it looks like a wallet. The "holster" if you want to call it that, is really a means of concealment and a means of keeping the pistol upright for an easy draw.

Follow the rule of keeping the nose picker off the trigger until ready to fire and you'll be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

JimSteel wrote:
Follow the rule of keeping the nose picker off the trigger until ready to fire and you'll be ok.

That's not it. You are suppose to say "Keep the booger hook off the bang switch." :lol:

Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:55 am 
Loquacious

Let's see, middle finger through the hole, index on the trigger......where the hell is my ring finger...and two handed grips should be interesting.... So one handed the gun stays attached to me because I have a hole with a finger in it - but muzzle flip is bad on this gun and I can see you might end up with the gun pointing up after one shot.