The Revolver Checkout - 10th Anniversary

From over on TFL comes a useful guide to checking out revolvers before purchasing them.

http://tinyurl.com/revocheck
At 12 pages worth of PDF file, the "revolver checkout" is a major update. There's pictures. There's side-notes on everything from special needs for black powder, reloading tool compatibility, make and model-specific data, and at the end a one-page outline of what kind of recoil and ammo performance you should expect with various weight classes of 38Spl and 357 guns.

There's special notes scattered throughout on various gun types, everything from the Colt Walker to breakopens to aluminum-frame snubbies.

There's...a lot . Page 12 is a one-page re-hash of the whole checkout procedure as quick bullet points to take with you to a gun show, gun shop, post-apocalyptic back alley or whatever . Despite this "short form" I recommend reading the whole thing once, to get the various theories and advanced notes down before going shopping.

NOTE: you can download it locally - look for the "file" menu, top-left corner area below the color google logo. This is also where you can print it cleanly.
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

Re: The Revolver Checkout - 10th Anniversary

Actually put it to use again today. I keep a cheat sheet in my wallet and pulled out when I looked at that old 5 screw S&W I put on lay away. Really a helpful document :D
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

This has been around for some time, but I'm glad it can now be accessed here...It's all good information, especially now when revolvers are kind of old style...Pretty much all that I carry, though.

Thanks..I am sure this will be useful to many here.
Make it a stickey!
mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

The guide is very good with one glaring exception. The method used for checking timing is correct for S&W, Ruger, Taurus, and post Mk III Colt DA revolvers is correct. It is INCORRECT for all older Colt DA revolvers. The method he describes will show most older Colt DA revolvers to be out of time when they in fact are NOT.

The early Colt DA revolvers timing is checked NOT by drawing the hammer back, but by pulling the trigger. To check timing on a DA Colt, the trigger has to be held firmly to the rear. Any different check is incorrect for those models of revolves.

The author does state that old Colt gunsmiths are drying up, and the mistake he makes is an EXTREMELY common mistake.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”