One eye open?
Total votes: 10 (42%)
Both eyes open?
Total votes: 13 (54%)
Both eyes Closed?
Total votes: 1 (4%)
Total votes: 24

Re: What eye-eyes do you use to sight

I usually use one eye, but I'm working on keeping my non-dominant eye open.

It's challenging. Tape on my glasses helps, but I'm hoping to get to the point where I don't even need that.
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

Re: What eye-eyes do you use to sight (Poll)

I'm another righty who's left eye dominant. Doesn't seem uncommon among this group; I've only met a few other shooters before who have the same issue. Maybe it's a liberal thing. ;)

With handguns I shoot with my left eye only. With rifles and iron sights I shoot with my right eye only. With a scope I switch between right eye only and right eye with left open.

retrojoe wrote:I've never had any issues with rifles but, I have serious problems with archery. I wish I was ambidextrous but the left hand does not want to be independent.
Oddly enough, I didn't find out that folks actually 'aimed' in archery until after I got out of high school. Appearantly, I was naturally doing kyujutsu and did not know it. :w00t:
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

TX308 wrote:Both eyes open is definitely the best for reducing flinch. Not sure why, but it seems to be the case. I pretty much shoot that way about 95% of the time.

But if I'm shooting with irons at 25 yards or greater, I'll half-squint my non-dominant eye a little bit, though not totally close it...
I do this. Maybe it's a Texas thing. :hmmm:
"We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat."-River Tam

I've always felt that if I have too squint and strain my eyes in order too pick up my sights clearly then there is something wrong with my sights. There is nothing wrong with my eyes because they are what they are, the sights have too be modified to fit my eyes. I like to be able too pick up the sights quickly and clearly and keep both eyes open for the wider field of view, sometimes the blurry movement that you see at the outer limits of the sight picture is reason to not fire till you have focused on it to identify it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:I've always felt that if I have too squint and strain my eyes in order too pick up my sights clearly then there is something wrong with my sights. There is nothing wrong with my eyes because they are what they are, the sights have too be modified to fit my eyes. I like to be able too pick up the sights quickly and clearly and keep both eyes open for the wider field of view, sometimes the blurry movement that you see at the outer limits of the sight picture is reason to not fire till you have focused on it to identify it.
Hmmm ... but what if all of a sudden you have a bad guy with a knife, 20 feet away, coming at you fast with apparent hostile intentions OR, you're in a close quarter handgun fight and there are not any barricades for cover. What is your shooting strategy then?

LibShooter wrote:
eelj wrote:I've always felt that if I have too squint and strain my eyes in order too pick up my sights clearly then there is something wrong with my sights. There is nothing wrong with my eyes because they are what they are, the sights have too be modified to fit my eyes. I like to be able too pick up the sights quickly and clearly and keep both eyes open for the wider field of view, sometimes the blurry movement that you see at the outer limits of the sight picture is reason to not fire till you have focused on it to identify it.
Hmmm ... but what if all of a sudden you have a bad guy with a knife, 20 feet away, coming at you fast with apparent hostile intentions OR, you're in a close quarter handgun fight and there are not any barricades for cover. What is your shooting strategy then?
I don't get your point. I imagine if some one where to attack me I would bring the gun up to eye level and when the front sight was painted on the chest of the attacker I would pull the trigger.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw