S&W 623 update: range day

I spent most of today's range day shooting the postal match but I still had time to try out my new S&W 623 revolver in .327 Magnum.
I tried the American Eagle 100 gr SP. Recoil is managable, but man, that round has some sizzle! I was shooting @ 25 yards so my accuracy wasn't all that great. The target looked like it got hit by a 10- gauge loaded with buckshot. Not worth a picture.
I switched over to some Fiocchi 100 gr .32 Long WCs and suddenly I am in the Zen of target shooting. Smooth recoil and a satisfying thump on Mr. Gopher. It even outperformed the .22 I brought along to practice with.
I will have to try shorter ranges and different ammo in .327 Magnum to find a better balance. But for now, those .32 Long WCs are going to become standard.
" Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack." - Gen. Ferdinand Foch, 1st Battle Of The Marne ( 1914).
http://www.rudereds.blogspot.com
Attachments
S&W 632 .327 magnum.jpg

Re: S&W 623 update: range day

Sounds like fun. Do you plan to try 32 HR Magnums? Hiws the muzzle plast with that short barreled 327? This is a caliber that intrigues me.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

Reviving the zombie thread to report that you can shoot .32 ACP out of a .327 magnum revolver.
My brother by mistake loaded some .32 ACP into the 623 and it shot them just fine. Did a little research and confirmed it has been done before.
So, now it can shoot 5 calibers- .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 Long, .32 H & R Magnum, and .327 Federal Magnum. Can be used for CCW, a trail gun, and even for hunting in a pinch.
Too bad it was discontinued. It is an extremely versatile little weapon.
"... the rich rob the poor under the cover of law. We plunder the rich under the cover of our own courage." - Captain " Black Sam" Bellamy ( executed for piracy, 1717).

comedian wrote:Reviving the zombie thread to report that you can shoot .32 ACP out of a .327 magnum revolver.
My brother by mistake loaded some .32 ACP into the 623 and it shot them just fine. Did a little research and confirmed it has been done before.
So, now it can shoot 5 calibers- .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 Long, .32 H & R Magnum, and .327 Federal Magnum. Can be used for CCW, a trail gun, and even for hunting in a pinch.
Too bad it was discontinued. It is an extremely versatile little weapon.
I don't get why the American shooting public can't wrap their heads and hands around the 32 in a revolver, I loved shooting your 623 last year.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

And I don't know why I keep getting the model # mixed up- should read S&W 632! :rolleyes:

Now that I glanced over the S&W catalogue I see that they are still selling it- they just are not making new ones. Which makes sense for a product as long lasting as a revolver.
S&W, Ruger, and the other companies making .327 magnum revolvers probably have quite a few in stock and won't make new ones until those reserves start to dry up.
Anyway, when 9mm dried up during the Panic, I could always rely on the 632 to accompany me to the range. There was always some kind of .32 cal. ammo available.
We should do some shoots in the Spring ( which by the looks of the weather, it will arrive in June ).
"... the rich rob the poor under the cover of law. We plunder the rich under the cover of our own courage." - Captain " Black Sam" Bellamy ( executed for piracy, 1717).

comedian wrote:And I don't know why I keep getting the model # mixed up- should read S&W 632! :rolleyes:

Now that I glanced over the S&W catalogue I see that they are still selling it- they just are not making new ones. Which makes sense for a product as long lasting as a revolver.
S&W, Ruger, and the other companies making .327 magnum revolvers probably have quite a few in stock and won't make new ones until those reserves start to dry up.
Anyway, when 9mm dried up during the Panic, I could always rely on the 632 to accompany me to the range. There was always some kind of .32 cal. ammo available.
We should do some shoots in the Spring ( which by the looks of the weather, it will arrive in June ).
This has been a disgusting winter, the club gave up on ploughing out the range back in January so it will be late. I haven't been able to shoot anywhere because of the blowing and drifting snow. The only thing I've been able to do for entertainment is drinking heavily. But back to topic I think the gun makers have missed out by not putting the new caliber in a proper shooting platform, although I like your revolver Smith should introduce it in their M16 K frame and Ruger should have brought it out in a Single six Bisley. If you have any plans to reload for yours I believe you might be able to get brass already primed from Freedom Arms.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

senorgrand wrote:I'm surprised 32 hasn't taken-off with CAS, as it is the minimum caliber for competition.
32-20s are poular with them I believe. They just don't make cowboy type six shooters in the other chamberings. When Ruger brought out the blackhawk a couple of years ago it was an 8 shot that weighed more than the super blackhawk and you couldn't get any ammo for it so they just sat on the shelves gathering dust.

senorgrand wrote:I think the 32mag would be a fantastic round in leverguns.

You and every varmint hunter in America.
But the demand continues to fall on deaf ears. :angry: