Re: Question abut Gun Cleaning...

I read some years ago that WD-40 will neutralize primers. I've never experimented with it, and nothing I read actually documented an experiment, so I don't really know. It's probably something you'd want to check on, though.

I do know that WD incites religious wars, some saying that is it a Gift from God, and other that is is a sinister plot of Satan's.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

Sigs like to run wet. After you re-lube it, shake it. If there's no oil leaving the gun you're not done with the oil yet. ;)

I have plenty of areokroil, should be GTG. Just need to mix up my AR Juice recipe I got from a buddy. 3 quarts ATF and 1 quart non-scernted kerosine in a gallon gas can.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote: Just need to mix up my AR Juice recipe I got from a buddy. 3 quarts ATF and 1 quart non-scernted kerosine in a gallon gas can.
For those who love the smell of napalm in the morning. :lol:
"Time travel opportunity. Must bring your own weapons. Your safety is not guaranteed, I've only done this once before." - Posted in the lunch room

ErikO wrote:...
I have plenty of areokroil, should be GTG. Just need to mix up my AR Juice recipe I got from a buddy. 3 quarts ATF and 1 quart non-scernted kerosine in a gallon gas can.

I use ED's Red. The recipe is available online. Shooters I know have told me WD40 has killed their primers but this was in storage, not in a gun. I can't imagine it would do much unless the gun sat loaded for some time.

And yes, I have been told that WD40 is poison for guns but never heard a convincing explanation.

About half of what I've been told about guns and shooting is bullshit. People just repeat what they hear from others.
When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Bumbazine wrote:I use Hoppes #9 &/or Breakfree LCP and sometimes aerosol brake cleaner.

I just bought a Colt 1908 vest-pocket .25 yesterday (help me! I'm an addict!), that feels like somebody coated it with floor wax. I'm debating what to attack it with.
I shot my '27 Regina last week. The guy at the gunshop said it was filthy and that for $25 he'd have his gun meister hydrosonically clean it and give it a good lube job. It WAS rather reluctant to eject properly, but otherwise worked okay. Brought it home, soaked it in some stuff called "Breakfree CLP." Sounds like a venereal disease a roller derby queen might get.

Left the little pistol super oily, so I took it out in the driveway and blew out all the crap and oil with Brakleen. Don't know that I'd do that to a modern gun--plastic parts and such. But for the little 85 year old pistol, it seemed to have done the trick. Took it apart as far as I could or dared, there were little bits of wood or grass inside!

Anyhow after the massive and comprehensive cleaning, I went back and did the gun solvent, gun oil cleaning to get it ready for the next use.

CLP is all you need most of the time. Cleaner Lubricant and Preservative was developed to military specs and apparently it's no BS. If you want a simple all in one, and what you shoot doesn't lead or copper foul a lot, then this stuff a bore snake is what the US Military uses on AR's and has for 20 years. For copper or lead fouling I use Remington 40x or Flitz, and if I pull either out more than once a year that's a lot. And the corrosion protection is superior from everything I've read, much, much better than Hoppe's #9. As a lube it keeps a thin film pretty well, without attracting dirt. Great stuff.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I'm a Breakfree CLP fan but I think thats just what I was trained to use.

I recently acquired some Weapon Shield and grease (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage ... hield.html). I sprayed it on my M1903A3 at the range after I fired the postal match. It was super easy to clean a few hours afterwards. I got the grease specifically to use on the bolt and it appears to do the job.

So long as you clean soon after firing and keep things well lubed up with whatever you prefer, its all good.

Sergio

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

When my gunsmith gave me a tutorial on my first 1911, complete tear down and rebuild, he told me to douse it with WD40, scrub it down with a brush, douse it again and blow it out with my air compressor till it's as dry as I can get it, wipe off everything with a lint free cloth, then grease and oil it. So far it's working great. I have also taken to using Mil-Comm cleaner on the barrel, and I love their grease for the slide. I think the only mistake you can make with WD is thinking it's a lube. It's not.

Bumbazine wrote:I use Hoppes #9 &/or Breakfree LCP and sometimes aerosol brake cleaner.

I just bought a Colt 1908 vest-pocket .25 yesterday (help me! I'm an addict!), that feels like somebody coated it with floor wax. I'm debating what to attack it with.
I want a 1908 VP soooo badly. Did you buy it locally? Was it a reasonable price?

I've messed with many things, discovered allergic reactions recently to several. Have not tried WD30, Slick 50 nor Tri-flo. I just use Hoppe's #9 and oil and sometimes Simple Green. I do use WD40 to clean adhesive off of stuff though. It works pretty well in that regard, if you don't have any Goof-Off handy.
If other people are going to talk, conversation becomes impossible.
~ James McNeill Whistler

Your confusing thesis has captured my attention. Tell me more.
~ Phil Hartman as Bill McNeal on News Radio

Unclemeat wrote: I want a 1908 VP soooo badly. Did you buy it locally? Was it a reasonable price?
I got it from a guy on Northwest Firearms Forum for $200.00. I thought it was a great price until I got it home and got a better look down the barrel*. I'm afraid the barrel might not be salvageable. I'm not through scrubbing it though.

*Unfortunately, my bore light had taken a ride through the washer recently, and I was too excited about finding a vest pocket to be cautious.
:confused: