Re: LCR warning!

GuitarsandGuns wrote:I have an lcp. It is lighter and shorter. In the pocket I feel it as a firearm. The LCR, with boot grip, feels like a small folding cell phone or a golf ball.
How is the LCP? I'm considering one for my carry weapon - small - compact. I'm 5'3" - medium build. Because of the anti-gun sentiment in my state currently, considering there was a guy who just got arrested because he had a BB gun on him in WalMart. Granted, he was acting like an ass, but knowing that there are a bunch of overzealous cops and anti-gun twits that would get their tighty-whiteys all in a bunch if they were to see a holster in plain view.

I've been looking at a variety of sub-compacts and the LCP looks like a nice little gun.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

christianne wrote:
GuitarsandGuns wrote:I have an lcp. It is lighter and shorter. In the pocket I feel it as a firearm. The LCR, with boot grip, feels like a small folding cell phone or a golf ball.
How is the LCP? I'm considering one for my carry weapon - small - compact. I'm 5'3" - medium build. Because of the anti-gun sentiment in my state currently, considering there was a guy who just got arrested because he had a BB gun on him in WalMart. Granted, he was acting like an ass, but knowing that there are a bunch of overzealous cops and anti-gun twits that would get their tighty-whiteys all in a bunch if they were to see a holster in plain view.

I've been looking at a variety of sub-compacts and the LCP looks like a nice little gun.
GG doesn't post much here anymore.

I have an LCP. It's a pretty good gun to carry, but it is no fun to shoot. It has a REALLY long trigger pull, it has a pretty good amount of recoil, it has almost no sights to speak of and it doesn't lock open after the last round. Having said all that it does what it was meant to do, it's a fighting gun, that's why you carry it.

The long trigger pull is your saftey, odds are if you have to use it you won't notice the long pull. Most attacks will be within a couple of yards and aim is probably kinda secondary on your list of things to do, so the sights are OK for that kind of range, say oh around 20feetish. The seven round capacity is going to be enough most of the time. And the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's tiny. And it's light. And you can put in your pocket and it doesn't print. It does no good if you won't take it with you because it's too big or heavy. Or, if you carry it in your purse and your purse is stolen. You should keep it on your person.

If you are going to get one I would seriously look into a laser for it. I can place shots accurately at 50 feet with my crimson trace. I think the fact you can put a red dot on someone's chest will make them think twice before they charge you. At least I hope so. Also, it is great for shooting in low light. The best thing about a laser sight is, the bullet will land on the red dot, so shooting form, grip, Ect are not so important. You'll be a hurry and being able to get that up and around and get a shot off with both eyes open from whatever position you are in is a distinct advantage.

Shoot one before you buy one, like I said they aren't fun to shoot. They are for fighting. And look into a used one, I see a bunch of them in the shops.

Shower together to save water!
Shower together to save water.

I had an lcp. Note had. As noted above, they are miserable to shoot. They work but not a range gun at all. If you want something that size that's more fun, look into the Sig p238- after several buys, its what I finally settled on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

DoctorB wrote:Solution: Don't Go To Wal-Mart. :happy:
Yeah -- that would work too. In all seriousness, the anti's in this state are so uptighty, sometimes they can't even get their tighty-whiteys past their ankles.
ThirstyHersh wrote:I have an LCP. It's a pretty good gun to carry, but it is no fun to shoot. It has a REALLY long trigger pull, it has a pretty good amount of recoil, it has almost no sights to speak of and it doesn't lock open after the last round. Having said all that it does what it was meant to do, it's a fighting gun, that's why you carry it.

The long trigger pull is your saftey, odds are if you have to use it you won't notice the long pull. Most attacks will be within a couple of yards and aim is probably kinda secondary on your list of things to do, so the sights are OK for that kind of range, say oh around 20feetish. The seven round capacity is going to be enough most of the time. And the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's tiny. And it's light. And you can put in your pocket and it doesn't print. It does no good if you won't take it with you because it's too big or heavy. Or, if you carry it in your purse and your purse is stolen. You should keep it on your person.

If you are going to get one I would seriously look into a laser for it. I can place shots accurately at 50 feet with my crimson trace. I think the fact you can put a red dot on someone's chest will make them think twice before they charge you. At least I hope so. Also, it is great for shooting in low light. The best thing about a laser sight is, the bullet will land on the red dot, so shooting form, grip, Ect are not so important. You'll be a hurry and being able to get that up and around and get a shot off with both eyes open from whatever position you are in is a distinct advantage.

Shoot one before you buy one, like I said they aren't fun to shoot. They are for fighting. And look into a used one, I see a bunch of them in the shops.

Shower together to save water!
Thanks for the review. There is a shop about half hour away from me that is a "Ruger Dealer of the Year - 2011". Most of the ranges around here only rent certain models/calibers/brands. It's like they have exclusive agreements with certain manufacturers. It's almost like you have to search which range rents which gun you want to try out and travel all over creation to get there. Either that or know someone who has a crap ton of firearms that will let you borrow them.

shinzen wrote:I had an lcp. Note had. As noted above, they are miserable to shoot. They work but not a range gun at all. If you want something that size that's more fun, look into the Sig p238- after several buys, its what I finally settled on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Hmmm....I'll have to look at the Sig. My brother swears by his Sig 1911 - and a brief perusing of Sig's site -- that is one fine lookin' gun. I will definitely have to check into it.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

Slightly aged, and also off the original topic ...

I second the recommendation to shoot the LCP prior to purchase. The LC9 is much the same, just at 9mm rather than .380, and I find it a bear to shoot. It is a tool, not for finesse or plinking.

That said, you might also check the Sig P938, Walther PPS, and M&P Shield in the 9mm family .... unless your goal is to stay in the .380 caliber :) then also check the PPk.
I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.

PiratePenguin wrote:
We need an LGC-approved version of the "Wally walk". I'd suggest Costco based on how well they treat their employees, but apparently they have an anti-gun policy.
Much like some politicians I've voted for, I'm not a single issue shopper :D

I like Costco- one of the places where you can score reasonably priced organic meats, veggies, and fruits in bulk, and they take care of their people.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

AliceFrost wrote:Slightly aged, and also off the original topic ...

I second the recommendation to shoot the LCP prior to purchase. The LC9 is much the same, just at 9mm rather than .380, and I find it a bear to shoot. It is a tool, not for finesse or plinking.

That said, you might also check the Sig P938, Walther PPS, and M&P Shield in the 9mm family .... unless your goal is to stay in the .380 caliber :) then also check the PPk.
I third shooting the LCP prior to purchace. Don't get me wrong I love mine for what it is. A firearm I can conceal in just about any situation. Its not the most comfortable so shoot, but its there to go bang if needed. I run a box of ammo through it monthly just so I keep current with it, but no more.
Token Republican.

shinzen wrote:
PiratePenguin wrote: We need an LGC-approved version of the "Wally walk". I'd suggest Costco based on how well they treat their employees, but apparently they have an anti-gun policy.

I like Costco- one of the places where you can score reasonably priced organic meats, veggies, and fruits in bulk, and they take care of their people.
I like them a lot, but if they have an anti-gun policy it'd be strange to advocate going there to test out your new concealed carry…

PiratePenguin wrote:
shinzen wrote:
PiratePenguin wrote: We need an LGC-approved version of the "Wally walk". I'd suggest Costco based on how well they treat their employees, but apparently they have an anti-gun policy.

I like them a lot, but if they have an anti-gun policy it'd be strange to advocate going there to test out your new concealed carry…
How does the anti gun policy manifest itself? Signs?

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

PiratePenguin wrote:
nigel wrote:How does the anti gun policy manifest itself? Signs?
Some stores apparently have them posted, yes. I haven't looked at my local.
Here in the great extremely dark navy blue state of CT - Walmart isn't authorized/licensed to sell "real" guns. They can sell air guns, but not real bang-bang guns. They cannot sell ammo either. They cannot sell hunting rifles or ammo. They can sell other hunting supplies, such as vests, jackets - etc. They can't sell hunting knives. They can't sell camping knives. They can sell something under four inches. Dick's Sporting goods can sell knives, but not anything over 4 inch blade. Cabela's can sell knives and guns, but the restrictions are ridiculous.

My son can't go into a store here and buy a knife that he would use while at work in the motor pool. He can buy them on post; he can buy them in Walmart in NC, or just about any other store in NC, but here in CT., nothing.

Well now...I've been here 5 minutes and already learned something.
Checked my Ruger GP100...the screw was definitely loose, I've had this firearm since 1997 and always maintained it well.
Never messed with the small set screw...it went a good 1-1/2 to 2 turns and is now seated or tight.

Thanks!
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.