Re: Walther PK380 review

Since the 380 caliber has become fashionable again primarily for concealed carry, it's hard to understand why Walther would make a 380 almost as large as their P99. I could see them with a polymer framed 380 about the size of the PPK, a light but concealable pistol. The price is right though and it is a Walther.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I have a PK380 and use it frequently as my ccw, alternating with a Shield 9mm and on occasion a SigP250. Of the three, the Walter is the easiest to fire once in SA mode. There is always the option to thumb cock the hammer making the first round SA. The light recoil makes for better double tap groupings than the other two, for me anyway.

That said, the Shield I have is 9mm and that is a serious consideration given that both pistols are carried IWB by me. The more I shoot the Shield with the extended mag, the more I like it. So, I'm a bit torn as to which to carry. Maybe the answer is to carry both; the Walther on my dominant side and the Shield iwb cross-draw. :-)

I do agree that the key take down/safety is a pain. It is happy with all brands of ammo except Winchester fmj. In perhaps 1500 rounds fired, I have had two failures to eject with Win. My 380 ammo of choice for practice is S&B. For defense, I use either Remington Golden Sabre or Hornady CD.

Very interesting review. The Walther is on my short list so it's good to read.

But I can guarantee you would HATE my Mauser HSc based on that review. There is no slide release. You have to put in a mag for it go forward. Then, if the safety is on, the hammer automatically drops. Now that is safe because the safety physically moves the rear end of the firing pin to where it can not be hit by the hammer but as you say...

If the safety is off, the hammer stays cocked and you can either begin shooting or put the safety on and lower the hammer.

Oh and there is a mag safety as well - you can't pull the trigger if there isn't a magazine in the weapon. In addition, in order to strip the weapon, you have to clear it then insert an empty magazine in to let the slide forward. Then you can put it on safe, take out the magazine and strip it by the button inside the trigger guard.

It's a nice pistol, reliable & more accurate than I am. It is, however, a .32 not a .380 and having been made in April 1942 it's getting long in tooth. I should probably find a newer pocket rocket - hence looking at the Walthers - but there's just something about it even in it's post war badly done nickel that appeals to me more than the new ones.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

TurretGunner wrote:By the by, you can use a valve core wrench in lieu of the Walther take-down key.

Also, current models are available without the internal lock.
That's interesting info. Thanks. BTW, I don't think my PK380 has a magazine lock. It's late and I'm too tired to remember. I do know my Ruger SR22 has one.

Antiquus wrote:GREAT review. Damn so much better than the almost total asskissing that goes on in any gun mag, or even most of those gun review 'experts' on Youtube.
Thanks - sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, I had missed that the thread had been resurrected.

I do try to be perfectly honest in my reviews, and the folks at Guns.com have never ever asked me to soft-pedal my opinions. I know for a fact from doing freelance for other outlets that most places it isn't the same.

TurretGunner - thanks for that info.

And wlewisiii, whether or not I'd care for those details, that's a classic you got there.

Cheers!

Jim
James Downey

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ - handgun cartridge research
http://www.stcybiswell.com/ - my latest novel
http://www.legacybookbindery.com/ - my professional site

JimDowney wrote:
Antiquus wrote:GREAT review. Damn so much better than the almost total asskissing that goes on in any gun mag, or even most of those gun review 'experts' on Youtube.
Thanks - sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, I had missed that the thread had been resurrected.

I do try to be perfectly honest in my reviews, and the folks at Guns.com have never ever asked me to soft-pedal my opinions. I know for a fact from doing freelance for other outlets that most places it isn't the same.

TurretGunner - thanks for that info.

And wlewisiii, whether or not I'd care for those details, that's a classic you got there.

Cheers!

Jim
What I do regarding the decocker is to hold the hammer with thumb and finger to ease it down slowly. The hammer is large enough to do his easily, even with my big hands. I was practicing draw and fire yesterday at the range and the pistol is such a pleasure to shoot. That said, I'm thinking my next purchase will be a 45auto with DA/SA.

Baikal49 wrote:I have a PK380 and use it frequently as my ccw, alternating with a Shield 9mm and on occasion a SigP250. Of the three, the Walter is the easiest to fire once in SA mode. There is always the option to thumb cock the hammer making the first round SA. The light recoil makes for better double tap groupings than the other two, for me anyway.

That said, the Shield I have is 9mm and that is a serious consideration given that both pistols are carried IWB by me. The more I shoot the Shield with the extended mag, the more I like it. So, I'm a bit torn as to which to carry. Maybe the answer is to carry both; the Walther on my dominant side and the Shield iwb cross-draw. :-)

I do agree that the key take down/safety is a pain. It is happy with all brands of ammo except Winchester fmj. In perhaps 1500 rounds fired, I have had two failures to eject with Win. My 380 ammo of choice for practice is S&B. For defense, I use either Remington Golden Sabre or Hornady CD.
So talk a bit more about the Shield if you could- I went and got the Ruger LCP, and despised it so much I sold it two weeks after because of the trigger pull. It's made me loathe to try the other super compacts on the market, but the shield has intrigued me- it's a S&W, and it's 9mm- two things I really like.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou