Finally Shot My EAA Witness 9mm

I had to go near my closest pistol range today to pick up something for work so I stopped in for half an hour to try my new pistola. :D

First impression, after 100 rds, 50 of WWB and 50 of Blazer Brass, both 115grn fmj. In short, its everything it's supposed to be. Very accurate, sights are dead on from the factory, nice firing behavior, great trigger. I wish it was a smidge fuller in the web but that's my only complaint and it's minor. At first I thought the Win was a bit more accurate but by the end of the session there was little difference.

Problems: The only issue I had was that the slide doesn't always close and rack a round when a fresh magazine is inserted. I'm not sure its supposed to but since it does it sometimes I think it should do it every time. That's the way most auto pistols are made to work, right? The problem seems worse with the two Mecgar mags I purchased aftermarket than with the factory one. If it doesn't close, just pushing the slide release chambers a round, no worries. No failures to fire or eject and one fail to feed on the first round but I think that was related to the magazine issue. The gun didn't jam, I just had to pull the slide back a little and let it go and then the first round cambered.

Anyway, a good time and $310 well spent. I'm sure I can work out the minor issues over the years.

I'll try to post some targets this evening.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Finally Shot My EAA Witness 9mm

So when the slide is locked to the rear you put in a fresh mag the slide automatically goes forward?
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: Finally Shot My EAA Witness 9mm

masonalannz wrote:Problems: The only issue I had was that the slide doesn't always close and rack a round when a fresh magazine is inserted. I'm not sure its supposed to but since it does it sometimes I think it should do it every time. That's the way most auto pistols are made to work, right?
Not really - it's really more of an "unintended functionality." On some guns, seating the mag with sufficient force will cause the slide to bounce a bit and drop the stop, but it's unpredicatable. I've heard of people trying to tune the slide stop to self-release more readily, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Glad you like the Witness. A local store has them for $300, and I'm really tempted to get one just cause they're nice.

BTW, what is it with gun names lately? A Judge, a Public Defender, and a Witness are at the courthouse, when the Governor walks in....

Re: Finally Shot My EAA Witness 9mm

MtnMan wrote:
masonalannz wrote:Problems: The only issue I had was that the slide doesn't always close and rack a round when a fresh magazine is inserted. I'm not sure its supposed to but since it does it sometimes I think it should do it every time. That's the way most auto pistols are made to work, right?
Not really - it's really more of an "unintended functionality." On some guns, seating the mag with sufficient force will cause the slide to bounce a bit and drop the stop, but it's unpredicatable. I've heard of people trying to tune the slide stop to self-release more readily, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Glad you like the Witness. A local store has them for $300, and I'm really tempted to get one just cause they're nice.

BTW, what is it with gun names lately? A Judge, a Public Defender, and a Witness are at the courthouse, when the Governor walks in....
Cool, thanks for the info. It is when I really slam a mag home that it generally happens. I guess I need to start putting the magazines in more gently and work on making releasing the slide an automatic muscle memory action unless I consciously decide not to.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese