Re: Hey snubbie guys

I've never shot a super redhawk before but I have owned a redhawk for many years. I've always felt the single spring system of the redhawk produced the best DA trigger pull out of the box of any of the big three. I think that for a 44mag belly gun the redhawk is a great platform. Of course I'm not selling this to buy one anytime soon.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw
Attachments
guns 007.jpg

ScorpionHunter wrote:It looks like they're mounting the barrel on the TALO gun differently than on the Alaskan. I've always thought that I was happy with just .357 snubbies, but I find this strangely compelling...
The Talo gun is the redhawk, the Alaskan is the super redhawk. Two different guns.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:
ScorpionHunter wrote:It looks like they're mounting the barrel on the TALO gun differently than on the Alaskan. I've always thought that I was happy with just .357 snubbies, but I find this strangely compelling...
The Talo gun is the redhawk, the Alaskan is the super redhawk. Two different guns.
Aha!

Compulsion growing....

It is a strange cartoonish set up. I like the smaller grip on the Kodiak.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Based on the name Kodiak Backpacker I assume it is marketed for protection in a wilderness area with very large and aggressive predators.
I would want to load that gun with ammo that recoils very hard like a 320gr slug crunched down on a lot of 296. Those grips make me shudder just looking at them.
My own redhawk with a 5.5" barrel was disgusting to shoot with magnum ammo and I replaced them with Pachmyer rubber grips in very short order.

eelj wrote:Based on the name Kodiak Backpacker I assume it is marketed for protection in a wilderness area with very large and aggressive predators.
I would want to load that gun with ammo that recoils very hard like a 320gr slug crunched down on a lot of 296. Those grips make me shudder just looking at them.
My own redhawk with a 5.5" barrel was disgusting to shoot with magnum ammo and I replaced them with Pachmyer rubber grips in very short order.
I can only shoot about three 300g HOT loads from the Alaskan.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
I like the smaller grip, too, even though it might be tougher to shoot. I don't have any Ruger revolvers, but as I am learning (and eelj likely already knows) the Super Redhawk frame extends around the barrel. The Redhawk frame upon which this gun is based does not.

The only 44 I have is a 4" model 29-2 with the original grips. I think this Ruger is a bit heavier than that, so it shouldn't be too much more punishing despite the shorter barrel. But that's coming dangerously close to a reason to buy one just to verify the recoil properties. It's all for science.

ScorpionHunter wrote:
Simmer down wrote:
I like the smaller grip, too, even though it might be tougher to shoot. I don't have any Ruger revolvers, but as I am learning (and eelj likely already knows) the Super Redhawk frame extends around the barrel. The Redhawk frame upon which this gun is based does not.

The only 44 I have is a 4" model 29-2 with the original grips. I think this Ruger is a bit heavier than that, so it shouldn't be too much more punishing despite the shorter barrel. But that's coming dangerously close to a reason to buy one just to verify the recoil properties. It's all for science.
Being an atheist science is my god, and if you reload your ammo never has to hurt unless you dig pain.

Compared to my Super Redhawk 7.5 inch my Alaskan is a snubbie.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I like it. If they do one in 45 and the price point isn't too high, I'll get one for sure. I'd cut the cylinder so it could shoot moon clipped 45acp as well as LC, throw a Tyler-T on it and call it a winner.

Sure would look nice in blue.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

What grips do ya all like on your snubbies? I have a hogue rubber boot grip, which I like better than the hogue grip that's longer that usually comes with the Taurus snubs.

While I like the length of the boot grip, I wish it had a bit more meat to hold onto, especially towards the backstrap.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."