Beretta forums.

Or, for the picky, "fora..."

Having just picked up a Beretta 84, I wondered how many folks here are members of any of the Beretta forums, and what they think of them. i.e. which ones are rabidly NRA/2A/Mur'ka, and which ones might have a couple of liberals hanging around to even things out.

Thanks.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Re: Beretta forums.

I haven't frequented the Beretta forums specifically, but I have visited or joined many of the more popular general firearms forums out there. Unfortunately, the LGC is kind of the diamond in the rough -- I don't think there's another forum out there that even comes close to having a more balanced perspective of political philosophies. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but in my travels I certainly haven't seen them aside from here!

Having said that, with most of the forums out there, the majority will probably be right wing, and thus you may have to get used to frequent comments putting down liberals or liberal ideas (even in non-political posts you will see this). Generally I try to stay silent on those issues and only use those forums for help on firearm specific topics. Sometimes it's not worth it to pick a fight, especially if you're outgunned (forgive the phrase) and on their turf.

pdoggeth wrote:I haven't frequented the Beretta forums specifically, but I have visited or joined many of the more popular general firearms forums out there. Unfortunately, the LGC is kind of the diamond in the rough -- I don't think there's another forum out there that even comes close to having a more balanced perspective of political philosophies. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but in my travels I certainly haven't seen them aside from here!

Having said that, with most of the forums out there, the majority will probably be right wing, and thus you may have to get used to frequent comments putting down liberals or liberal ideas (even in non-political posts you will see this). Generally I try to stay silent on those issues and only use those forums for help on firearm specific topics. Sometimes it's not worth it to pick a fight, especially if you're outgunned (forgive the phrase) and on their turf.
Thanks. Yeah, they are there in berettaforum.net, but not rudely so.

Yet. :)

You might try pistol-training.com. It isn't a Beretta forum, per se, but there are several threads on them with some knowledgeable participants. They fire a lot of rounds in their training programs, and don't really consider a pistol capable until it can fire 2,000 rounds without failure; they scoff at posters who claim the term "flawless" for something less than that.

Still, there are drawbacks. They are a clique who primarily value the input of their own in-crowd - be warned. Also, they don't normally discuss much besides 9mm.

They provide very little in the way of wing-nut cant, however.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Beretta forum isn't too bad. I.e., no need to stay away from it.

IMO Glock forums seem to be the worst (no surprise).

The best for me is the 1911forum's Hi Power section - which still is influenced by Stephen Camp. I.e., genteel. The SIG forum isn't too bad, and they tend to discuss non-SIGs too.
MORON LABEL

The hurt doesn't show; but the pain still grows - It's no stranger to you or me

- Phil 3:40

Jaywalker wrote:You might try pistol-training.com. It isn't a Beretta forum, per se, but there are several threads on them with some knowledgeable participants. They fire a lot of rounds in their training programs, and don't really consider a pistol capable until it can fire 2,000 rounds without failure; they scoff at posters who claim the term "flawless" for something less than that.

Still, there are drawbacks. They are a clique who primarily value the input of their own in-crowd - be warned. Also, they don't normally discuss much besides 9mm.

They provide very little in the way of wing-nut cant, however.
I'll give them a try - thanks! 380 is just a baby 9 anyways...

May sound strange, but Zombie Squad (zombiehunters.org) has a pretty diverse base, including a lot of liberals, and a very developed firearms community. Their firearms forum is moderated by an instructor who believes that politicizing guns is a bad idea. There is also a blanket No Politics or Religion policy in place over the entire forum. It makes for some very interesting conversations, albeit frustrating at times. It also means heavily tattoos vegan liberals can discuss guns and all kinds of other things one may not expect like going alternative energy/off the grid with some very knowledgeable people of all walks of life, even ultra right wing survivalist types. It's one of the only other forms i frequent any more.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

stringfellow wrote:Beretta forum isn't too bad. I.e., no need to stay away from it.
This. Berettaforum.net is more apolitical than this site and others.

Lots of very knowledgeable Beretta owners over there, ime.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

OldScratch wrote:
stringfellow wrote:Beretta forum isn't too bad. I.e., no need to stay away from it.

Yup - I'm finding that. :)

Haven't been on Beretta, but did spend a week or two on Bersa and Taurus...I couldn't stay long. The anti-liberal group runs loud on those two forums. It's painful to watch.

I try to avoid the nonsense as much as possible because I want to learn as much as I can about my 709 -- so I tend to gloss over the political BS.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

pdoggeth wrote:I haven't frequented the Beretta forums specifically, but I have visited or joined many of the more popular general firearms forums out there. Unfortunately, the LGC is kind of the diamond in the rough -- I don't think there's another forum out there that even comes close to having a more balanced perspective of political philosophies. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but in my travels I certainly haven't seen them aside from here!

Sadly, /r/guns is probably the best in terms of balance and moderation, followed by the CMP forums(which is very narrowly defined). Other than the LGC forum, of course.

Zombie Squad is pretty aggressive about apolitical moderation.

OldScratch wrote:

Interestingly, just this morning, because I just can't understand CC or OC, I was called selfish, ignorant, and was told that at the age of 59 I probably didn't have much to live for anyway.... By a Global Mod.

I'm probably not going to last long there, as I told said Mod what to do with his "selfish and iggerant" comments, and exactly where to shove his "nothing to live for" BS...

<sigh>

Next? :)

SailDesign wrote:
OldScratch wrote:

Interestingly, just this morning, because I just can't understand CC or OC, I was called selfish, ignorant, and was told that at the age of 59 I probably didn't have much to live for anyway.... By a Global Mod.

I'm probably not going to last long there, as I told said Mod what to do with his "selfish and iggerant" comments, and exactly where to shove his "nothing to live for" BS...

<sigh>

I am at a loss to comment on that. Sorry you had to deal with that. Wow.
MORON LABEL

SailDesign wrote:Interestingly, just this morning, because I just can't understand CC or OC, I was called selfish, ignorant, and was told that at the age of 59 I probably didn't have much to live for anyway.... By a Global Mod.
...flag it for their review. Sounds like that mod shouldn't be a mod.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

stringfellow wrote:
SailDesign wrote:
OldScratch wrote:

<sigh>

I am at a loss to comment on that. Sorry you had to deal with that. Wow.
Not your fault, String. Such is life... :)

OldScratch wrote:
SailDesign wrote:Interestingly, just this morning, because I just can't understand CC or OC, I was called selfish, ignorant, and was told that at the age of 59 I probably didn't have much to live for anyway.... By a Global Mod.
...flag it for their review. Sounds like that mod shouldn't be a mod.
Have done. Thanks. :)

SailDesign wrote:

<sigh>

Wow! Just...wow. I can't imagine what they would do to someone like me...still learning and often fumbling my way through it...I'm sure I'd be told what I was told on another forum...to eat my gun. Sad sad people. Very sad. When all they can grasp at is school yard bullying. It leads me to wonder what they were like in school and what they are away from their computer screens and the anonymity that the internet brings to them. I can think of some descriptions, but I'll just leave it at my standard...their momma should have just had a headache that night...
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

He did issue a rather extensive, persuasive apology, however. I can see both sides of the discussion over there. First, his choice of words was poor, and some other denizens took him at his worst and "agreed" with him. OTOH, we all know how limiting is the communication when restricted to merely the written word; the body language, the eye rolls, the tone of voice that might have given a different impression, all are absent.

Here in the US, the Second Amendment to the Constitution is a de facto secular religion for many, and questioning any religion's precepts can certainly bring heated dissent. Try telling a full-immersion Baptist that a head-sprinkling baptism is adequate, for example. You inadvertently mentioned you were a head-sprinkler at a full-immersion meeting.

In Texas, where I currently live, I understand 25% of the population (maybe it's "adult males, I don't recall) has a carry permit. Most of those, however have come in the last few years, so if we assume 50% of the population is pro-gun (likely, by current polling), well over half held your head-sprinkling views until a year or so ago, and now it's about equal. You aren't far off the median, even in Texas, it's simply the minister in the pulpit was a fire-breather. FWIW.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jaywalker wrote:He did issue a rather extensive, persuasive apology, however.
<snippage>
Sadly, he must have issued that AFTER my post waving the forum goodbye. So sad I didn't see it, I'd have been interested - but I'm not inclined to dip back in for a review. I shall enjoy my Beretta when I pick it up, and not worry about it. Some groups you find yourself a part of - others you were never meant to join. :)

Sounds like someone worthy of the MORON LABEL.
MORON LABEL

Mods - can we close this puppy?

No use, as they say, flogging a dead horse. :)

Thanks.