Chiappa Rhino 60DS range report

I made it out to the desert today and was really looking forward to running some rounds through my new-to-me Rhino.

The gun uses a striker mechanism and fires from the bottom of the cylinder, rather than the top. Aligning the bore axis lower to the gun and lower in relation to the shooter's hand ostensibly means lower muzzle flip and a more controllable shot. In theory, anyway. The "hammer" is not a hammer per se; it is a cocking mechanism and serves to advance the cylinder, move the trigger to the rear for a "single-action" shot, and pops up a "ready to fire" post near the rear sight.

In theory, the gun -- particularly with the 6" barrel -- should have soft recoil, shorter time between shots, and easier shot placement back on target.

I found that practice matched theory very well.

I started out with some .38 special loads and immediately rang steel. The gun exhibited no hop, which is to be expected. After finding that I was consistently on target with .38 I moved to some decent .357 rounds, and it was the weirdest damn thing.

I'm used to .357 causing a lot of pressure and forcing the muzzle to climb. With the Rhino it felt more like I was shooting a gun with a very nicely-ported barrel. Recoil was very predictable and just pushed the gun back into the hand rather than causing the muzzle to climb. Follow-up shots were quick and comfortable, even in DA mode. The front sight is an orange fiber-optic piece and the rear sights are adjustable with green fiber optic rods. I found that I did not need to adjust the sights. On my final string of the day and with a buddy watching my target for impact, I ran all six right into the center of my 10" steel plate at 12 paces and a decent firing pace. Six full-house .357 into (at worst) the 8 ring is very, very decent.

The gun is comfortable in my hands, though I wouldn't mind a slightly taller grip. I find that the 60DS has a pleasant weight and balance to it, and the lower CG due the barrel placement aids in pointing/presenting the firearm. It's very easy to take a solid stance with the gun and be on target FAST, and hit that same target fast.

Overall I'm really impressed. It performs like I'd hoped. I had zero issues through perhaps 70-100 rounds of mixed .38/.357. The firing system was dead solid in DA and SA mode. In SA mode the trigger has about a 4# pull with no overtravel and minimal (if any) takeup, which is about what I'd expected. The DA trigger is longer and you definitely feel the weight of the striker mechanism but it's not much more than, say, a GP100 in DA.

I like that there are top and bottom rails on the gun, too; I could see using this as a great hunting gun for pig or the like, and it's absolutely a pleasure to shoot!
Last edited by brandonsmash on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Re: Chiappa Rhino 60DS range report

I have always been very intrigued by these pistols. The only theoretical issue in my mind is that it would appear that with the sights so much higher than the barrel there would be accuracy issues when moving from close range to long range.

Sounds like you weren't set up to test this...
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired...

-Washington: Art. I, § 24 (enacted 1889)

At the distances I can reliably shoot with a handgun, the added height of the sights makes exceedingly little difference. Any difference it makes would be lost in the noise of my own shooting ability.

Plus, the sights are windage and elevation adjustable so if it were an issue you'd easily just take a click out of the elevation height.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Very good report - informative and insightful.
As a writer I like the way you set up the expectation for a bad report with repeated use of "in theory."
I've seen YouTube vids on modifying basic fabric IWB holsters to suit the Rhino.
I have handled - but not fired - a Rhino 40DS. It's balance and "pointability" were excellent. The owner ran out of superlatives for both the gun and its performance.
I want a Rhino 20D. Mostly because its bizarre appearance would so distract my assailant that the assault would turn into a discussion of its unusual design and the encounter end without bloodshed. Also, the idea of retaining the use of my hand after firing a cylinder or two of hot .357 defense rounds through a snubbie is pretty attractive.
- KeVin K.
"It's your dream; make it work."