Re: Need Your 9mm Pistol Knowledge

I have a 9mm snubbie and it's a handful. Plus, none on the approved handgun list here in CA.

The reason folks are suggesting a 38 revolver is that you have a lot of steel absorbing the recoil of a round that is less snappy than a 9mm. If you shoot 38s out of a 357, then more so.

Remember, recoil is largely a function of force v weight. Light guns shooting big force rounds have a lot of recoil. Heavy guns shooting low force rounds have low recoil.

Bore axis, grip geometry and type of action also have an effect on recoil, but to a lesser extent. One of the great things about revolvers is there are more grip options than with many semi autos. This can make a barely shootable gun into a joy to shoot.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

affinois wrote:
KnightsFan wrote:What was your issue with the p22?
Hitting low. I'm a little more accurate with the .22, but I still hit low most of the time.
Common reason for hitting low is because of involuntary pushing of the gun forward and down in anticipation of recoil. There are other reasons but are not as common, in my experience. I used to shoot low because of a very heavy trigger finger. One of my students was shooting low simply because of sight misalignment. Bad teacher, apparently.

This is useful:

http://www.usacarry.com/common-handgun- ... -problems/

Revolvers and bottom-feeders both have their places for sure. However, if you've not shot much with a revo it might be worth considering.

For one, grips tend to be much more customizable. They can also more easily be made to fit smaller hands. Personally I have large hands (XXL gloves) but still like a J-frame revolver for carry.

You can find revolvers chambered in 9mm Parabellum. I'm a fan of a solid .357 revolver as it opens up my ammo choices from anything from .38 to hot .357 Magnum. If you're worried about recoil, there are tons of lower-recoil options in .38.

Long story short, if you're sticking to the 9mm caliber or something similar you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not considering the many options in wheelguns available these days.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

affinois wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question, but how is a revolver a potentially better option for someone like me? I've only shot a revolver once, at shooting training. I shot like five rounds with a 357 revolver. So I'm not very familiar!

I haven't shot a CZ 75 but I've held one, and it didn't feel as good as some other guns. I shot with the range M&P again tonight, had the same accuracy issues as I was having with my walther p22.
I think it's been mentioned that your grip options are a bit better with a revolver for smaller hands with short fingers. I fully understand that a double stack CZ 75B might be a bit of a stretch for small hands. I don't have large hands, but, I think my wife would be stretching it with the CZ 75B. It's one reason I bought an old CZ Vz. 70, it's small the size of a Walther PPK; but it's not a 9mm. It is fun to shoot.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

affinois wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question, but how is a revolver a potentially better option for someone like me? I've only shot a revolver once, at shooting training. I shot like five rounds with a 357 revolver. So I'm not very familiar!

I haven't shot a CZ 75 but I've held one, and it didn't feel as good as some other guns. I shot with the range M&P again tonight, had the same accuracy issues as I was having with my walther p22.
from my experience, semi's tend to be 'top heavy', where much of their mass is fairly high as far as the grip is concerned; revolvers, which do not have the business end of things sitting on the very top, along the entire length of the gun, tend to have a lower 'center of mass' with regard to the grip...

Keep in mind too that many semi's (like the P229) are a heavy stainless steel slide sitting on top of a relatively light aluminum frame, which somewhat aggravates the 'flip' found in the recoil.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful replies, as always!

On the agenda: To get my brother to go shooting with me so I can shoot one or more of his revolvers.

I went to the range today and managed to work out an issue with my grip that improved my accuracy a LOT. I also kinda fell in love with the Springfield XD that I rented. Things are looking up!