Compact Recommendations

Those of you that know me know how I shoot. I subscribe to the philosophy only accurate guns are interesting. I don't know if I would ever get one to carry concealed but if I was what are some recommendations? My first thought is a combat commander or the like. I am not crazy about striker fired and not opposed to a revolver. I plan to only really carry while walking the dog because of the coyote menace that is happening and my mark ii is fine for that.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: Compact Recommendations

How compact is compact for you?

Look to one of the compact models of the CZ75 or it's clones? They have a good reputation for reliability and accuracy. I've seriously considered the Jericho/Baby Eagle in it's compact form. You can find it here: http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/ ... -round.asp

That said this: http://www.springfield-armory.com/produ ... ct-45-acp/ or this: https://us.armscor.com/products/tac-191 ... pact-45acp would suit your initial inclination well. The RIA is probably as good a pistol but not as good a finish as that of the Springfield. I'm very happy with my RIA full size.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I love the EAA compacts but I always get stuck on this one.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.98 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

I'm in love with the Sig 938 we purchased last summer for my girlfriend. Great trigger, easy to carry (at least around my house because I don't have a CCW), and actually quite fun to shoot on range days. I like the snappy recoil of 115 gr. hollow points, especially alternating with 230 gr. .45 ACP.

Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT! - Henry Rollins
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

rolandson wrote:You already know what I'll say...SIG. Just because it's all that I have experience with.
When I carry, I carry my P6. Single stack makes it very slim; 8+1. I bought some thin Marschal grips to make it even slimmer. Some P6s (mine included) need a little work in order to accept HP ammo, but it's only about $50 and worth every penny. Granted, it's nowhere as compact as the 238 or 938. But then again, it has the familiarity and feel of a classic P-series.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

A Sig P220 Carry is nice or you mentioned revolvers then a S&W K frame snub nose for carry. Never go wrong with a S&W revolver.

Suggest before buying a gun for carry read the art of the snubbie on this forum and also look at Grant Cunningham's book Defensive Revolver Fundamentals it is on all the major ebook sites. Even if you don't go with a revolver that book is worth reading.

BTW when I do carry it is ether my S&W 686+ 3 inch or my Ruger Alaskan. With the right holster and belt that can be carried concealed comfortably.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Fukshot wrote:Haven't shot the 938, but the 238 is a wonderful gun. I was making some nice little groups at 25 yards (considering what it is).

I dunno how big or small you are interested in for carry. A 3" .357 SP 101 is a great moderately sized gun, but not terribly light.
Maybe an LCR?

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

Several Members have commented on Sig's so here is my $.02 for what ever...

If I were to choose a compact for Concealed Carry, I would choose this:

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p239.aspx

Comes in 3 calibers, 9mm, .357Sig & 40mm....

Only holds 7-8 rounds but that should be enough...

Pluses It is easy to field strip for Cleaning which I consider Extremely Important, and it like it's big brother the P226, it has a DE-cocker which I also consider important...

Price is a factor...
Happy hunting...
The more you Learn the Less you Know..
USN, Ret. '63-'85
Sig P226 MK25, Browning A Bolt II .223 Remington
St. Louis, MO/Webster Groves
http://theliberalgunclubinc.memberlodge.org

eelj wrote:With practice you would be amazed at how accurate a DA snub nose can be, even shooting it DA only.
I was able to put 4 or 5 in the 10 ring from 7 yards with my Taurus snubbie a couple of days ago. Good enough for me!

The really nice thing about the Smith snubs is the fast array of grips available...there really is just about one out there to fit anyone.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I continue to try to replace my Kahr K9 with something else - Glock G19, Walther PPQ, and most lately a CZ-75 Pcr compact - but nothing quite does it for me like the Kahr. The K9 is slim, accurate, reliable - no malfunctions since I bought it new in 1998 - and I naturally just gravitate to it. It would be nice to have more rounds, but then it wouldn't be as slim and easy to carry. It would be nice to have it a little lighter, or pocket carry-able, but Kahr's smaller and polymer has been more problematic over the years than their steel-framed pieces. Everything's a compromise, but the Kahr just hits me at the right one, and gives me an easily-reachable trigger, too.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

The P238 Fukshot was referring to was mine from the event. I tried a number of small compact handguns before settling on it, including the Taurus and the Ruger- Wasn't a fan of the triggers mostly. Sig trigger is top notch, and with the P238, you can toss it in your pocket with one of the sticky holsters- same footprint as a wallet with just a little more heft. If I had to do it over again, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

That said, Fukshot is a better shot with it than I am- short sight radius still kills me, but it's definitely capable of good groups within it's effective range.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Paladin wrote:Those of you that know me know how I shoot. I subscribe to the philosophy only accurate guns are interesting. I don't know if I would ever get one to carry concealed but if I was what are some recommendations? My first thought is a combat commander or the like. I am not crazy about striker fired and not opposed to a revolver. I plan to only really carry while walking the dog because of the coyote menace that is happening and my mark ii is fine for that.
So I know you said you're not crazy about striker fired...but let me tell you, the XDs 45 that I own is incredibly accurate. At first I thought it was me right? Well I let my wife shoot it and she was shooting just as good if not better than me at 5-7 yards out. And it is considered a sub-compact. Just my 0.02 worth.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Fukshot wrote:
shinzen wrote:
That said, Fukshot is a better shot with it than I am-
I get the feeling we are talking to someone who can reliably out shoot me.
Both of y'all make me look like an amateur so there's that.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou