Can anyone tell me about the Colt Lawman Mk III 2-inch?

Subject line pretty well says it all.

In looking for something else entirely I stumbled across some images of the Colt Lawman Mk III with 2-inch barrel. Really liked the look of the gun. (You know how that goes, right?) The only Colts I've owned have been 1911s. I remember when the revolvers were still in production, but I'd never looked at one.

Started poking around found some You Tube videos and a couple of reminiscences of owning one back in the day and examples for sale from $500 to over a thousand. What I did not find was anyone holding one next to a S&W J-frame or K-frame and comparing the physical dimensions. So I went to my usual shops and then to some unusual shops and couldn't find a double-action Colt revolver anywhere. (Though the guy at one pawn shop assured me he knew a guy he could call if I wanted who had an engraved Python that he wants a few thousand for. Didn't take him up on it.)

Right now I'm at the intrigued but nowhere near ready to buy stage (pretty familiar territory) and I'm looking for information.

Could someone give me the physical measurements of this revolver?
Better yet, does anyone have pictures comparing it to a J-frame and a k-frame?
Or, best yet, anyone want to send me their Colt Lawman Mk III 2-inch so I can hold it next to my own J-frame and K-frame?
- KeVin K.
"It's your dream; make it work."

Re: Can anyone tell me about the Colt Lawman Mk III 2-inch?

Mk III series was their replacement of the python lockwork in their standard police revolvers. I had a 4" Trooper MkIII when I got out of active duty in the 80's. It made me a S&W fan...

Lawman is the fixed sights version. It is bigger than a k frame but not as big as an N frame. Coil mainspring so it's trigger is poor by colt standards. Heavy beast too. I'd say look for a snub nosed K frame instead.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

If it's calling your name...better get it. :)

Colts are in enough demand, that if you fall out of love, you can sell her and not take a bath on the deal.

I've been in love with a couple of guns and later sold the both. They were fun for awhile and I sold one for a small loss and the other for a decent gain.

I can't afford a large collection, so being willing to horsetrade is necessary if I want to try a lot of different guns.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I owned one for about five years. I traded it last October (2014) for a S&W Model 19 with the 2.5" bl. It was very strong and heavy. Larger than a K frame. Even though it had the redesigned lockwork of the MK III line it was based (frame size) on Colt's old 41 frame. The same frame the the Official Police and the Python were built on. The trigger was heavy and since it had been out of production since 1983 there wasn't much in the way of aftermarket products for it. It wasn't a bad revolver, but I have wanted a Model 19 snubbie for many years and I got $400 for the Colt from the local Cabelas. Which means they probably sold it for $600 or more. They aren't very common so you have a search ahead of you. If you're still interested since this thread is a few months old.
I type therefore I am