Talk me out of this.

Looking at Shinzen's dragoon made me start thinking about single actions. I don't have one, but maybe I might want one. A lot of them look a bit awkward, or top heavy to me, but as I was poking about the internets, the Uberti/Taylor's Smokewagon struck me as appealing.

Is this crap that just looks pretty to me, or is it actually an okay gun? I tried the internets, but it left me all confused, because apparently cowboy action is all inbred and stuff.

(It doesn't help that, after rearranging my safe, I have two empty pistol slots staring me in the face every time I open it.)

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Re: Talk me out of this.

I am not a revolver shooter and I also had a similar impression...and I shoot SIGs which really are top heavy. I found instead that the two I have fired both felt to be natural extensions of my arm. Unlike what I am accustomed to, the sight line seemed to fall precisely where one would want.

If you buy one, talk Fukshot into making the trigger like hers...one merely has to think about firing and it does!
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

It may not be your cup of tea so I agree with Fukshot. Go to a shop and heft a few. I don't think you need to shoot one just to see if you like the grip.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I have owned a Blackhawk .357 Magnum 6.5" bbl for... a long time. 'Top heavy' doesn't describe it as well as 'muzzle heavy'. The bore is quite a ways above the hand though, so there is significant muzzle 'flip'. A natural pointer, makes a good 'point&shoot' gun.
The universe - is what it is.

wlewisiii wrote:Be sure to compare a New Vaquero to it. I find the Ruger revolvers feel better than Uberti. YMMV.
+1 for New Vaquero. The only downside (other than the price) are that the stock grips are a bit slim for big hands. Easily remedied by the bevy of after-market grips.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Simmer down wrote:I think Taylors are retagged Ubertis and over-priced. Don't buy that Taylor. Buy a Uberti and use the extra cash for a reloading set up.
I disagree, the Taylor guns are top of the line and are worth every single extra penny you pay to get a gun that works right the first time.

Are they the same Uberti/Cimmaron, and Pietta guns that you can get elsewhere? Yeah

Do the other stores take each one out of the box and inspect it to make sure everything is ok? No

These Italian guns are all crapshoots - from the 200 dollar cap and ball revolver to the 1500 dollar sharps. These guns all have a high risk of defects straight from the factory. The smokewagon is an upgraded gun (I think it even has coil springs if you are comparing it with ruger), but I would still proceed with some caution. For that matter, I've had horrific luck with Ruger.

If you're at a store like Cabelas and they have 2 or 3 of them, then yeah go save some money because 1 of them will probably be fine. If you're doing a special order, Taylors is the way to go.

curtism1234 wrote:
Simmer down wrote:I think Taylors are retagged Ubertis and over-priced. Don't buy that Taylor. Buy a Uberti and use the extra cash for a reloading set up.
I disagree, the Taylor guns are top of the line and are worth every single extra penny you pay to get a gun that works right the first time.

Are they the same Uberti/Cimmaron, and Pietta guns that you can get elsewhere? Yeah

Do the other stores take each one out of the box and inspect it to make sure everything is ok? No

These Italian guns are all crapshoots - from the 200 dollar cap and ball revolver to the 1500 dollar sharps. These guns all have a high risk of defects straight from the factory. The smokewagon is an upgraded gun (I think it even has coil springs if you are comparing it with ruger), but I would still proceed with some caution. For that matter, I've had horrific luck with Ruger.

If you're at a store like Cabelas and they have 2 or 3 of them, then yeah go save some money because 1 of them will probably be fine. If you're doing a special order, Taylors is the way to go.
I wondered if there was a difference at all. You'd think Uberti would feel bad if a company could exist just to smooth out their rough edges. As a miser and a tinker I still lean towards the Uberti but that's just how I roll.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

wlewisiii wrote:Be sure to compare a New Vaquero to it. I find the Ruger revolvers feel better than Uberti. YMMV.
I don't think the grip frame is any different between the New Vaquero and the traditional SAA clones. I think the big diff is that the New Vaquero comes stock with grips that are more like "gunfighter" grips (less taper from bottom to top than the original style grips).

Also, is it EAA that sells a Colt clone that has the 1860 Army grip frame? (1873 SAA has the same grip frame as 1851 Navy and the 1860 grip frame is longer and more vertical). Is it the Bounty Hunter?

Simmer mentioned reloading, if you take up that hobby then you can consider many different caliber options. As to the Italian guns most of these companies have been making guns since the matchlock era when the arquebus made the armor they had been making for centuries obsolete. Myself I can only speak from my experience with Rugers, I like them and prefer a single action with coil springs and adjustable sights.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I still have a mild hankering for a single action.

Browsing around today, I found a lightly used(*) 357 Blackhawk with Bisley style grips for $450. I don't need this to be the best deal in the world, but I also don't want to feel like I got ripped off. Is that a decent ballpark?

(*) It doesn't usually take long for me to get a pistol past the break in stage, so I'm okay with minor wear marks on a gun if it's mechanically sound.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

If you're looking at Blackhawks, consider one in .30 carbine. Those things are pretty rad. Personally, I don't like the looks of the BH because of their jutting sights....although they do work well. I have Colt SAA and a Ruger New Vaquero with the 7.5 barrel, in 45. I'm not a fan of the coil spring, and the transfer bar, but the guns are solid. Mine's pretty accurate if I do my part.

The Italian clones are much more faithful to the Colt...but without the fine fit and finish. They have the cylinder bushing (which the Ruger does not). If you'll never shoot black powder, it won't matter. They also retain the half cock loading that Ruger abandoned. That's another feature I like.

Single actions are definitely not for everyone. If you're a long semi auto shooter you might not dig the much slower pace that single actions require. But, in my experience, that is where the zen happens.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

How long is the barrel on the Bisley? If you can heft it take notice of the distance between your knuckle and the trigger guard. The Bisley grip frame is considered by many as the best for handling stiff recoil by many but some experience a bit of knuckle bite because of fat fingers.

The OP said to talk you out of it. I'd say go with a Ruger, old model Vaquero if you can find it, as they're stronger than the new models--for reloaders. Mine has a 4-5/8 barrel and is not top heavy at all.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack