S&W model 30

32SWLong.jpg
I've had a dragnet out for a gunbroker gun that did not get here in a straight line but finally ended up in the same town I am in. I walk into the FFL and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a brace of SW 32 S&W Longs!!

I've been obsessing about a better model than the ancient specimen I brought to the annual meeting. Antiquus was all about the 32 in all forms and I haven't been able to shake the thought of upgrading since.

This yet to be cleaned example was produced in 1958. Both guns I saw came from the Puerto Rico State Police. This has a 3.5" barrel. The other that I swore I would return for is a snub, model 30-1 and nickle.

So- double bonus. The wayfaring SW 44 special that I never thought I'd catch and now this.

Where can I find pressure max data for this gun? My older gun shot an average 597fps and about 97 ft/lbs. I'd like to find a less tepid load.

ADDED:
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... list&c=141
Buffalo Bore says 15,000 psi.
Hodgdon data says Titegroup 2.0g with 98g wc give 860fps and 11,500cup.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: S&W model 30

SAAMI's max pressure is 15k for this round. The Euro's (CIP) isn't really any different.

There was an old load for this of 4.8gr of Unique (max load) using a 76gr lead cast giving about 1100fps and 200ft/lbs, probably dropped for good reason. Modern cowboy load is 2.3gr Bullseye max. I load 76gr LFN from Hunters Supply and it works great in everything, light enough to get moving quickly. Checking Hodgdon's site, they have the current 800fps loads, but also they list their pressures and they max out at 11kpsi, way below what the round is designed to. Since the loads on Alliant's site are in the same speed range, I don't think their pressures are any different.

I'd probably use that bullet and start with Unique, Red Dot or Bullseye in that 30-1, when I got to about 950fps I'd stop, that would be 150ft/lbs.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.