(Ayoob)How To Shoot a Handgun accurately

"Shooting well is simple," Ray [Chapman] said, "it just isn't easy."
Fortunately, repetition means shooting, and shooting is fun.

Good luck. Stay safe. And enjoy.
link:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

It has very good info on everything. I post it here for new shooters who've not yet done much research.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: (Ayoob)How To Shoot a Handgun accurately

I have always had the feeling that though Mr. Ayoob & I would disagree on much, it would still be a pleasant conversation. He certainly knows what's what about all aspects of shooting & there are few I respect as much on topic. Grant Cunningham perhaps.

Thanks for the reminder of his column at backwoods home, it's the only thing I find useful there (I prefer The Backwoodsman for my pretend pioneer fix).
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:... my pretend pioneer fix).
I just go and cut myself while sharpening a tool.

I dig Ayoob's handgun stuff. In other areas I'm not so interested, but he is able to winnow out the chaff while remaining very accessible when he writes about handguns. There are some column writers in Handloader who do that, too, in their areas of specialty.

I've shot handguns less than rifles. But somehow I want similar accuracy. Fool. At self defense range, like closer than ten feet, no prob. But I want tight groups at 25 meters. Now that I developed a target load using my Lee dippers for the .357, I always take it with me when I go--making new rounds with the dipper is easy peasy. I do the load one live round, load one empty, load two live rounds, load two empties thing every time. I have eliminated any flinch using that technique. And I get to work on trigger control on the three empty rounds without expending powder.

I am interested in his thoughts on triggers. Note where he advocates the finger pad over the distal joint. I do the distal joint with my revolvers and the pad with my MkII.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

In the old days, it was the most stable stance that also presented the body sideways - that made a smaller target for the bad guys in the days before body armor. Now, the isosceles makes more sense, but back in the day it was a major improvement over the one hand crouch of the FBI and it spread like wildfire.

Now if you are wearing armor, the weaver would place the seam - it's weakest area - towards the threat. Hence standing facing directly at the target is emphasized instead.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White