Which 1911 Should I buy?

Para Expert 10.45
Total votes: 3 (16%)
Para Expert (8+1)
Total votes: 2 (11%)
Springfield Range Officer
Total votes: 14 (74%)
Total votes: 19

Help me pick a 1911 - Bought, now with photo.

Finally taking the plunge and getting a 1911 in .45ACP.

Price Point: Under $800 w/tax, out the door.
Features: Adjustable, modern sights. Match trigger/barrel

I've been looking for a couple months and narrowed it down to:

Para Expert 10.45: I like the design and features, the 10+1 capacity is a huge bonus.
Para Expert: Like it's bigger brother, but with an 8+1 capacity and reduced cost (about $100 less)
Springfield Range Officer: Can't go wrong with Springfield. I like the wooden grips and fully adjustable sights.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Re: Help me pick a 1911

It looks like the Para Expert 10.45 uses a double stack magazine to get to 10 round capacity. This will change the shape and feel of the grip compared to a standard 1911 grip like the SA.

Make sure you get a chance to handle and point (and ideally shoot) the double stack model before deciding to go that direction.

How are you thinking of using this? Looks like these would be good choices for various kinds of competition.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote: How are you thinking of using this? Looks like these would be good choices for various kinds of competition.
Possibly for 3-Gun, but really just to have a very nice semi-auto to take to the range that isn't going to be a budget buster.

(**cough** STI or Kimber **cough**)

Seriously, consider an RIA. Not quite as pretty (less to worry about scratches) & more money for ammo and reloading supplies. Just as reliable.

Otherwise, the Remington R1 has good reviews.

Of those, the Range Officer is the only one I considered but I went with RIA instead.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:Seriously, consider an RIA. Not quite as pretty (less to worry about scratches) & more money for ammo and reloading supplies. Just as reliable.

Of those, the Range Officer is the only one I considered but I went with RIA instead.
Which model of RIA? I have heard decent things about the FS, but really...why on earth do they need to have their logo emblazoned on the slide in 32pt font? :yucky:

judgepacker wrote:I voted for the Para Expert 8+1 but only because Paras come from the factory with a shitty finish......I, um, know a guy who could paint it.
:roflmao:

If I do get one and the finish gets bothersome, you'll be first in line to "fix" it. Come to think of it, a "Punisher" themed 1911 sounds intriguing. :)

I'm guessing you have done enough research to have narrowed it down to the 3 listed so I say the Springfield. All I've owned have been Colt series 70s and in order to turn it into a gun like the range officer you would spend as much in 1980 in gunsmith fees as you would for that gun right now. I just finished watching a Hickok45 video on it and that is the one I would get.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

atxgunguy wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:Seriously, consider an RIA. Not quite as pretty (less to worry about scratches) & more money for ammo and reloading supplies. Just as reliable.

Which model of RIA? I have heard decent things about the FS, but really...why on earth do they need to have their logo emblazoned on the slide in 32pt font? :yucky:
Heh. I have the FS Tactical in .45 ACP. Nice pistol. Only problems I've had were two way out of spec (COAL) reloads of mine. Here's a picture of it:

You'll note the logo is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. :whistle: Yeah, the old banner was really obnoxious. I'm not fond of this one but I can live with it.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Back when I first started shooting handguns in the 70s there where 2 different adjustable rear sights that were considered the gold standard for the 1911. Smith and Wesson revolver and the Bo-Mar. Both required intensive gunsmithing to fit. I still say the Range Officer, Hickock45 was spanking the long distant steel gong off hand with his and at a distance that you could see the bullets in flight just before impact.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

wlewisiii wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:

Heh. I have the FS Tactical in .45 ACP. Nice pistol. Only problems I've had were two way out of spec (COAL) reloads of mine. Here's a picture of it:

You'll note the logo is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. :whistle: Yeah, the old banner was really obnoxious. I'm not fond of this one but I can live with it.
Nice to know. I think Judgepacker could easily gussy-up the slide.

Maybe something like this:

I'm kind of old school when it comes to 1911s, I think they should have a deep lustrous blue finish and ivory grips with a full busted nude scrimshawed onto them. Sorry Judge.

Texas gun guy good luck with your choice I hope you really enjoy it. Don't mean to side track the thread too much but why the lack of 1911s in 40S&W? There is only a couple of them available and none in an affordable package. My brass scrounging the last few years has told me that the 40 is by far the most popular caliber in my neck of the woods.

eelj wrote:Texas gun guy good luck with your choice I hope you really enjoy it. Don't mean to side track the thread too much but why the lack of 1911s in 40S&W? There is only a couple of them available and none in an affordable package. My brass scrounging the last few years has told me that the 40 is by far the most popular caliber in my neck of the woods.
If God wanted the 1911 chambered in .40S&W...

Inquisitor wrote:
eelj wrote:Texas gun guy good luck with your choice I hope you really enjoy it. Don't mean to side track the thread too much but why the lack of 1911s in 40S&W? There is only a couple of them available and none in an affordable package. My brass scrounging the last few years has told me that the 40 is by far the most popular caliber in my neck of the woods.
So which god wants it in 9 mikemike?

eelj wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:
So which god wants it in 9 mikemike?
A German god, obviously, who is trying to gay marry John Browning and Georg Luger?
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

That's an interesting point... There are definitely some really popular/sought-after 10mm 1911's out there and there's still a really devout following for 38 Super but outside some of the competition-focused (read: semi-custom) hi-cap offerings I can't say that I've heard about a whole lot of 40 S&W.