any Taurus 738 TCP owners ? Im considering purchasing 1

I'm looking for something small to carry in summer, and in those cases where your just running out and don't want to pack my PX4 40 I usually carry. I know its a 380, but may at least deter villains enough to run away.. ok, in my case being a gimp, hobble away.. I know the bearded man at GunBlast likes it, and has nothing but good things to say about, but I've noticed he is going the way of the gun magazines and proclaiming everything is good as a way to attract and retain advertisers.

So , the good, the bad the ugly.. on the Taurus 738 tcp.. And I have found it new for under $200, which in my case, makes it even more appealing.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: any Taurus 738 TCP owners ? Im considering purchasing

I carry mine daily! It's a great little gun, don't let the price or the image of old that Taurus has throw you off.

It is reliable, precise for how small it is and the trigger is great for a tiny DAO. A whole lot better than for example the LCP and unlike that, there is no rattling.

Being as light as it is, it's quite snappy, though. More so than my 9mm Walther PPS which is by no means a large or heavy gun.

I did break the first one I had but that was my own fault - the old powder scale I had wasn't precise enough so I was about 10% overloaded - which is a lot for .380. However, Taurus came through great on their lifetime warrant and sent me a new one (E-series, the old one was a C-series).

What I really love is that it's so small, I can comfortably pocket carry it and with a proper pocket holster, it just looks like I have my wallet in there. I can even conceal it in athletic shorts.

Also, .380 is plenty for stopping a bad guy IF you use proper ammo for that particular gun. Shooting The Bull did a thorough ballistic gel test of the TCP with a bunch of different loads and one thing to keep in mind is that because the barrel is so short, the bullets won't accelerate up to the velocity they will get out of a longer barrel so expansion and penetration will vary a lot.

The best performing, commonly available rounds were the good old Federal Hydra-Shok so those are what I carry. They penetrate to about 12" and expand reliably unlike most other rounds tested.

Thanks viking. some excellent info..! and the price doesn't scare me at all, in fact its what drove me to it ! And I have heard nothing but good things about Taurus life time guarantee. Something some of the high priced gun manufactures wont even do. As for the short barrel and velocities, I dont think that is really what this gun was made for, its more a "belly gun" 20 feet and under last defense for saving your life type of weapon, but like you said, the right ammo will make sure you get good results.

I feel most firearms today are way over priced anyway. You know, the Obama effect.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Thanks viking. some excellent info..! and the price doesn't scare me at all, in fact its what drove me to it ! And I have heard nothing but good things about Taurus life time guarantee. Something some of the high priced gun manufactures wont even do. As for the short barrel and velocities, I dont think that is really what this gun was made for, its more a "belly gun" 20 feet and under last defense for saving your life type of weapon, but like you said, the right ammo will make sure you get good results.

I feel most firearms today are way over priced anyway. You know, the Obama effect.
It's actually more precise than you'd expect, I shoot 3-4 inch slow groups at 15 yards which is more than adequate for a close up gun.

Regarding ammo choice, with a super short barrel, it's not so much a matter of power or range but finding a bullet that will expand reliably at such low velocity. Most just act like FMJs and often over penetrate without much of a wound channel.

TheViking wrote: gun.

Regarding ammo choice, with a super short barrel, it's not so much a matter of power or range but finding a bullet that will expand reliably at such low velocity. Most just act like FMJs and often over penetrate without much of a wound channel.

good to know. And since you did all the hard work, I think I will use your recommendation for now of Federal Hydra-Shok, which I actually have in for my 1903 colt .
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
TheViking wrote: gun.

good to know. And since you did all the hard work, I think I will use your recommendation for now of Federal Hydra-Shok, which I actually have in for my 1903 colt .
Here's the results page, it's a good read. Has videos too:

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-r ... mmo-quest/

I see your in Austin Tx. isnt that like the pimple on the arse of Texas when it comes to politics? Being more liberal than the rest of the state ? :lol: My 12 year old constantly bugs me to take her to Austin. She is a huge Rooster Teeth fan .
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:I see your in Austin Tx. isnt that like the pimple on the arse of Texas when it comes to politics? Being more liberal than the rest of the state ? :lol: My 12 year old constantly bugs me to take her to Austin. She is a huge Rooster Teeth fan .
fknauss wrote:Isn't Austin the one place in Texas where the idiots don't outnumber everyone?
That's the one :laugh:

Of course we have the idiots in Congress, but the city itself is very liberal. It's pretty much San Francisco with better weather, much lower living costs and way more guns :D

Dandad, let me know if you come by here :beer2:

it may be a while, but I will let you know. Some music [ austin city limits maybe ? ] , food, and maybe some legal shooting.. that would be fun.

growing up I always wanted to move to Texas. Then I grew up lol.. Id still love to move there, but its gone a little over the top, or is that better said, closer to the bottom, for my tolerance level.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

TheViking wrote:I carry mine daily! It's a great little gun, don't let the price or the image of old that Taurus has throw you off.

It is reliable, precise for how small it is and the trigger is great for a tiny DAO. A whole lot better than for example the LCP and unlike that, there is no rattling.

Being as light as it is, it's quite snappy, though. More so than my 9mm Walther PPS which is by no means a large or heavy gun.

I did break the first one I had but that was my own fault - the old powder scale I had wasn't precise enough so I was about 10% overloaded - which is a lot for .380. However, Taurus came through great on their lifetime warrant and sent me a new one (E-series, the old one was a C-series).

What I really love is that it's so small, I can comfortably pocket carry it and with a proper pocket holster, it just looks like I have my wallet in there. I can even conceal it in athletic shorts.

I did it, ordered the Taurus 738 from Buds. at $190 with free shipping, I couldnt find it cheaper anywhere else, including locally. and with their lifetime warranty, I dont think I can go wrong. UPS says it was delivered to my local FFL, so hopefully I can pick it up later today!
:clap:

Update. Got it. Nice.. had to use the file on the opposing side from the extractor , on the inside of the slide. They didnt finish machining it and the rim of the cartridge fit in so tight it wouldnt eject. A couple strokes of a file, followed up with a fine stone to polish it up, and it ejects like a champ.. Also polished the ramp and so far its worked excellent with everything from Defense to FJM ball.

Now I am wondering if the extended magazine would be a good option? I plan on purchasing a spare magazine, but not having near the under stress fire experience you have , I am wondering if an extended mag for the carry in the gun one would be better? 10 rounds might give me the chance to hit an attacker at least once while I am pissing myself :lol:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I don't have the TCP yet - but I do own two other Taurus models - PT 709 Slim, which is my primary carry - 9mm. I love that gun. It's a good size for me - easy to carry - definitely easy on the wallet in terms of cost, as well as the ammo. I haven't had one hiccup from it.

I have a PT 145 Millenium - a .45 -- I got that one used. It's a Gen 1 and other than having to give a really good cleaning when I got it home, the gun is in incredible shape. It shoots very well. Again, even though it is a 10+ year old gun, it really is a fine gun. I bought that gun for $180.

There are naysayers all over the place when it comes to Taurus. And I realize that they haven't always been the best - but let's face it, you can get a lemon in anything. I'm definitely a fan of Taurus. And I'm considering my next gun a .380 -- TCP. Keep us posted on its shooting. I'm definitely interested.
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

christianne wrote:I don't have the TCP yet - but I do own two other Taurus models - PT 709 Slim, which is my primary carry - 9mm. I love that gun. It's a good size for me - easy to carry - definitely easy on the wallet in terms of cost, as well as the ammo. I haven't had one hiccup from it.

I have a PT 145 Millenium - a .45 -- I got that one used. It's a Gen 1 and other than having to give a really good cleaning when I got it home, the gun is in incredible shape. It shoots very well. Again, even though it is a 10+ year old gun, it really is a fine gun. I bought that gun for $180.

There are naysayers all over the place when it comes to Taurus. And I realize that they haven't always been the best - but let's face it, you can get a lemon in anything. I'm definitely a fan of Taurus. And I'm considering my next gun a .380 -- TCP. Keep us posted on its shooting. I'm definitely interested.

Im not that acquainted with Taurus semi auto pistols as I am their revolvers, but I can tell you that their revolvers have always been very good. I have a cousin who shoots competition with Taurus revolvers and beyond doing a little trigger work on it, he loves them. I really like this little pt 738, that only thing did so far was besides cleaning up a few areas with a stone and file, was to put a dab of white paint on the front sight to make it easier to put on target. The rear sight is a trough, and the front is a very low profile blade. and in all honesty, unless you talking an expensive firearm, its hit or miss with most guns to if they are just right out of the box. They turn out hundreds of thousands a year, there is bound to be a few that need a little TCL to make them a happy fire arm..

Oh, what I dont like about it? The magazine release could be just a hair taller so you can release the clip a little easier.Now it is totally flush with the frame so its hard to quickly release the clip for a fast change out. And even though only 2 of my fingers fit on the grip , I dont have a problem shooting it. Heck, 3 of my fingers fit on my Broom handled Mauser grip and I hate shooting that, but this I dont. This doesnt feel bad at all. Kicks a little more than your 9mm will, but not all that bad. And remember, its not a daily target shooter anyway. Its a last ditch, life in danger, get the hell out of here gun..

as for old, old dont matter much with a fire arm. I have some very old guns, close to 100 years old, and they are some of the sweetest shooting firearms around. Aged firearms just enhance their features :)
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Congrats! :beer2:

I wouldn't get the extended magazine - to me it somewhat defeats the whole point of having a super small carry gun. I have quite large hands so I have some 1½ fingers on the grip but once you get used to that, it's pretty precise for such a tiny gun. Also, if 6+1 rounds of good .380 doesn't get the job done, you have bigger problems.

Disagree on the magazine button too. Sure, it's pretty small but that also lowers the risk of it being pressed by accident while in your pocket (holster). I've only had the mag pop out unintendedly once when I sat on the holster. If the button stuck out further, it would be more of an issue. Besides, the chance you'd have to reload during a self defense situation is unlikely - I have three mags but I rarely carry extras unless I'm going to the range.

YMMV

Viking,
well being as you have much more real experience than I do, I will absolutely take your word on this.

I did discover the the mag release sticks out more toward the trigger side, and if you use it there, its pretty easy to use..

another thing I discovered that I really like, is that its so darn light. While lounging around the house in sweat pants [ which I don't wear out ] or elastic band shorts, you can put this little champ in you pocket, or even use the holster and it wont even pull your pants down :laugh: Its around 11 ounces loaded.. so if I have to run out the trash to the dumpster in the alleyway, or just pop out to the car, or just lazing around, I can have it on me

just love this little gun so far....

Im thinking of ordering 2 more for my daughters while the price is affordable on them. Once they are old enough to carry, this would be great for them too. a couple 380 rounds to the balls of a rapist would slow them down for sure :thumbup:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Saw an article that the CEO of Daniel Defense used it for his everyday carry. Bought one and didn't like it at all. Horrendous trigger, poor accuracy, and dang near impossible to reassemble with that pin thingie....sold it. Sold some other .380s for the same reason - the S&W Bodyguard was also a nightmare to reassemble.

Now have a Pico, G42, and Mustang. Had a Sig P238 and liked it but also had a P938 so sold the 238.

Just my opinion - you can do better.
"Get off my lawn."

dandad wrote:..

another thing I discovered that I really like, is that its so darn light. While lounging around the house in sweat pants [ which I don't wear out ] or elastic band shorts, you can put this little champ in you pocket, or even use the holster and it wont even pull your pants down :laugh: Its around 11 ounces loaded.. so if I have to run out the trash to the dumpster in the alleyway, or just pop out to the car, or just lazing around, I can have it on me
Yeah, I've carried mine in the pocket of athletic shorts (which is all I wear at home) just taking the trash out or getting the mail. With the pocket holster it just looks like a wallet or phone.

Got a holster for it yet?

Riverkilt wrote:Saw an article that the CEO of Daniel Defense used it for his everyday carry. Bought one and didn't like it at all. Horrendous trigger, poor accuracy, and dang near impossible to reassemble with that pin thingie....sold it. Sold some other .380s for the same reason - the S&W Bodyguard was also a nightmare to reassemble.

Now have a Pico, G42, and Mustang. Had a Sig P238 and liked it but also had a P938 so sold the 238.

Really??? Mine is nice. Shoots well for what it is. 15 yards and under its on target, so as far as I can see its a great for personal protection. Besides, CCW is for last ditch protection, and thats usually under 7 yards they say. I dont know though, Ive been lucky enough to never have to use a gun in self defense, and hopefully , never will.

As for the pin, I can pull mine with my finger nails. In fact, I am wondering it its a bit to loose. but so far, its been a champ of a little gun..

The trigger is actually lighter and easier than my Beretta PX4, and while I could see the travel being slightly less, it works just jim dandy on mine. And Taurus has the life time warranty. Whatever you didnt like on it, send it back and they fix it . Id sure do that before I sold it.

I should have bought 2 more for my daughters at the same time though. They are now up to $230. Did someone say Obama was going to ban something again?? :yikes:
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
Riverkilt wrote:Saw an article that the CEO of Daniel Defense used it for his everyday carry. Bought one and didn't like it at all. Horrendous trigger, poor accuracy, and dang near impossible to reassemble with that pin thingie....sold it. Sold some other .380s for the same reason - the S&W Bodyguard was also a nightmare to reassemble.

Really??? Mine is nice. Shoots well for what it is. 15 yards and under its on target, so as far as I can see its a great for personal protection. Besides, CCW is for last ditch protection, and thats usually under 7 yards they say. I dont know though, Ive been lucky enough to never have to use a gun in self defense, and hopefully , never will.

As for the pin, I can pull mine with my finger nails. In fact, I am wondering it its a bit to loose. but so far, its been a champ of a little gun..

The trigger is actually lighter and easier than my Beretta PX4, and while I could see the travel being slightly less, it works just jim dandy on mine. And Taurus has the life time warranty. Whatever you didnt like on it, send it back and they fix it . Id sure do that before I sold it.

I should have bought 2 more for my daughters at the same time though. They are now up to $230. Did someone say Obama was going to ban something again?? :yikes:
Agree, the trigger is great for a small DAO. A dap of grease through the lubrication hole on top of the trigger does wonders too.

The pin was harder to get back in on the older models, they changed the design a little so it's easy now.